5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Strange sound when cold!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 05:06 AM

Strange sound when cold!

Hi all..... I just recently updated from a 3rd Gen Maxima to a 5th Gen. In Australia its called Nissan Maxima ST-R.
Anyways why I posted this msg is to see if anyone can help. For the past 2 weeks I can hear a strange sound like a ticking sound (Like a sound when u have a push bike and u clip a bit of carboard to make the aound on the spokes) thats sort of clicking ticking noise. But only hear it when u accelarate when the car is cold. But when the car get warm it goes away. U hear it more from inside the car. If u lift the hood and rev the engine u cant hear it. I called nissan they said it might be the wrong grade of oil in the motor but it would have made the sound before. Also as u can hear it more from inside the car Im lost..... The car runs perfect even when u hear the noise and there is no power loss or any difference in the way it drives. Just this annoying noise for about 5 mins then its gone when the car is at normal temp. Does anyone know wot it might be.

2003 Nissan Maxima ST-R
VQ30DE, Auto.....
Old 01-13-2005, 06:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have a similar problem with my Max. Mine more of a rattle though. Someone suggested it might be the cat heat shield or maybe a loose hanger on the exhaust system. Been too cold and misierable for me to get under the car and look.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by KITT
Hi all..... I just recently updated from a 3rd Gen Maxima to a 5th Gen. In Australia its called Nissan Maxima ST-R.
Anyways why I posted this msg is to see if anyone can help. For the past 2 weeks I can hear a strange sound like a ticking sound (Like a sound when u have a push bike and u clip a bit of carboard to make the aound on the spokes) thats sort of clicking ticking noise. But only hear it when u accelarate when the car is cold. But when the car get warm it goes away. U hear it more from inside the car. If u lift the hood and rev the engine u cant hear it. I called nissan they said it might be the wrong grade of oil in the motor but it would have made the sound before. Also as u can hear it more from inside the car Im lost..... The car runs perfect even when u hear the noise and there is no power loss or any difference in the way it drives. Just this annoying noise for about 5 mins then its gone when the car is at normal temp. Does anyone know wot it might be.

2003 Nissan Maxima ST-R
VQ30DE, Auto.....
If you can't hear it on the outside with the hood open, its more than likely not your engine.