5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Newb with a few questions!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 01:12 AM

Newb with a few questions!

Hi all, I just purchased a 2000 Maxima GXE 5-speed. I must say im very happy with it, but need a little insight on a few things!!

1) what do i need to have the "lip kit" effect that the AE or SE model has (are they the same?)? are we talking new bumper covers and side skirts, or add on lips and side skirts? is it cheaper to just get a stilen lip kit?

2)where can i find the 02-03 HID's for a reasonable price and the instructions since they cant be foudn in the how-to's?

3)can i swap in an SE cluster? what years will fit, and how can i get the mileage programmed?

4)has anyone put in rear speakers in the rear deck? just curious since there isnt much rear fill from the rear door speakers!

5)can i get come insight on what is a good set of springs that rides/handles nice and lowers more that 1.5"??

i tried the search function but it doesnt work! any other tips/tricks would also be appreciated! I would like to see some 18's on some lowered white max's if anyone wants to post some pics so i can get an idea!! thanks a lot guys!

frank
Old 01-16-2005, 01:25 AM

sorry, forgot to mention that im also wondering where is the best place to buy OE parts cause i wanna install a component set up front and i need the OE pillar trim with the tweeter hole!!

also, i just noticed the SE doesnt have a lip kit......but the AE must have soemthing, and maybe i just need the stillen kit!! thanks
frank
Old 01-16-2005, 01:16 PM

BUMP for some answers!
Old 01-16-2005, 01:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

A lot of sites for OEM parts, but to name a couple:

Jerry Rome Nissan (www.jerryromenissan.com, then click on parts)
Courtesy Parts (www.courtesyparts.com, then click on your year Max on the left)

You can get the HIDs on Ebay for between $500 and $600, or sometimes there are guys on the org selling them. I think that's the best price you'll get, and I can't tell ya about the install b/c my car came with 'em.

For help with some of the other questions, especially the one about suspension, check out www.innerbean.com/housecor. Housecor is a member on the org and his information and how-to's on that site are VERY helpful. He has a whole write-up of the options for springs and struts. Hope you find it useful.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by VtecGSR952000
Hi all, I just purchased a 2000 Maxima GXE 5-speed. I must say im very happy with it, but need a little insight on a few things!!

1) what do i need to have the "lip kit" effect that the AE or SE model has (are they the same?)? are we talking new bumper covers and side skirts, or add on lips and side skirts? is it cheaper to just get a stilen lip kit?

2)where can i find the 02-03 HID's for a reasonable price and the instructions since they cant be foudn in the how-to's?

3)can i swap in an SE cluster? what years will fit, and how can i get the mileage programmed?

4)has anyone put in rear speakers in the rear deck? just curious since there isnt much rear fill from the rear door speakers!

5)can i get come insight on what is a good set of springs that rides/handles nice and lowers more that 1.5"??

i tried the search function but it doesnt work! any other tips/tricks would also be appreciated! I would like to see some 18's on some lowered white max's if anyone wants to post some pics so i can get an idea!! thanks a lot guys!

frank
Hi Frank,

Good choice. I've got an 01 black GXE 5 speed myself. To attempt to answer your questions:

1.) There are several lips available. The 'lip effect' you are talking about is only available on the AE version, that is correct. As far as aftermarket lips, check the group deals section for discounts on the classic stillen aero kit. It's expensive...but what can you do?

2.) Due to HID theft, the install instruction for the 02 HID's are not posted. I don't have them either, but some Org members may take mercy on you and help you out. The best price I've found for REPLICA HID's is on ebay at ebay store Performance Depot. Keep in mind that I decided not to purchase HID's b/c of the theft problem; if you want, a good alternative that I'm looking into right now is the Umnitza HID kit that fits our cars. PM Matt at Umnitza (look under thread 'GOOD lighting options', he's in there somewhere). He recommended the XTEC 375 kit to me which lets us keep the hi/lo capabilities. One of the orgers on that thread is currently installing them and he promised pics.

3.) Can't help you, ask someone else.

4.) I've put in rear 6 x 9's, but you lose your rear child safety seat harnesses b/c you have to cut a hole in the rear deck. I made the mistake of going to a ****** install place the first time around and the holes are really jagged, but you can't see if b/c of the speakers. I'm running one 4 channel amp for all the internals (all 6 work) and they sound fine.

5.) Check out Housecor's page for answers on spring/strut combinations, it's very comprehensive!

Good luck, welcome to the Org.

~Phil
Old 01-16-2005, 08:48 PM
Reported

Originally Posted by VtecGSR952000

frank
get an aftermarket HID kit. OEM will cost around $1200 and the maxima ones on ebay have a good probability of being stolen.

search won't work until you donate ($20).
Old 01-16-2005, 08:51 PM
drag racing is for wussies

AE lip rocks, but they cost like 800 bux just for the lip now, which is not worth it. I had it on my GXE before, till it got damaged in a front end collision. I got the ABS lip and I don't like it. I'm getting the big mouth stillen front end for my Max, I need some room for the intercooler thats going to take place in the front end of my car very soon.

I'm selling my Ground Controll suspension with Koni yellow fronts and KYB AGX rears, they are up on the classified section of the .org. My cars pictures can be found on my cardomain site.

Get a subwoofer in the trunk and don't mess with hackn up the rear deck with speakers. I have a set of 6.5" components with 1" tweets front and rear, and sub in the trunk and it sounds awesome.

For OEM parts hit up Woodfield Nissan, ask for Ron, John or Don- they my boys when it comes down to parts for my Max.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:51 PM

thanks for the info guys.......i just bought some SE wheels, and i wanna get it lowered and get the HID's soon. the car is running like crap though.......when ever im under normal acceleration, after i hit about 3200rpm, it hesitates and if i give it more gas it bucks and misses. a friend of mine at nissan said my MAF readings are off, and my cylinder balance test showed cyl 1 low and cyl 6 too high in relation to the rest. hopefully i can get this fixed soon. thanks and bump for more info!
Old 01-18-2005, 07:02 PM
Wat

search next time please