5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Ouch... multiple trouble codes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 07:05 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ouch... multiple trouble codes?

My SES light came on this morning, and while I figured it was the P0340 I keep getting, I was surprised. I had about 4 codes total, though I don't recall the first 3 codes' numbers, I recall my Palm's description of them.

The one trouble code which lit up the SES light was P0238 I believe--I can't find a description of that (it didn't let me view the description either, 'cause it was listed as "Trouble Code causing MIL On" instead of a list of Stored trouble codes)

The first 4 codes, if I recall, were described as follows-
1. Evaporative Emissions System Leak
2. Engine Oil Pressure Too Low (!!!!!????? ... I didn't notice any abnormal engine running, the oil light wasn't on, I'm going to check the oil level around lunchtime though...)
3. (this was a U-code, not a P-code) Data Link connection problem with the Anti-Lock Brake System Controller

I'm thinking I might have bumped a harness somewhere along the line (maybe when I was lifting the engine a little while installing the subframe bushings the other night?)

Also, in addition to that, the Emissions Readyness screen showed the following-
OBD Requirement - OBD2 Federal (it normally says OBD2 California !!)
Fuel System 1 Status - OLoop Drive
Fuel System 2 Status - (blank)
Secondary Air Status - (some error, I forget, I should go out around lunchtime and write it down)
Auxiliary Input Status - PTO NtActive

I think all the Readyness sensors said 'I' (Incomplete data, or Not OK?) with only Misfire Monitor and Components listed as 'C' (Checked? ... normally all of them say 'C', so I guess 'C' means OK)

Ever since yesterday I've noticed my fuel economy has gone to crap.
I'm gonna peek under the hood a little this evening
Old 01-20-2005, 09:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

LOL, well around lunchtime I had a look.
Oil level is fine.
ECU this time showed everything OK (all readyness sensors were good), and the only code stored was P0430. Cleared that code and the SES light turned off.
I have no idea what happened before. Either my scantool or its interface (could be, as one part of the cabling from the Palm to the OBD-II port is a self-made DB9 port in a trim piece in my dashboard) or the ECU was smoking crack for a couple hours this morning. The latter would worry me. My Palm was very low on battery life, but it was low on battery life when I checked it around lunchtime too.
Oh well, nothing to see here, move along...