5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Transmission is the weak link...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2001, 08:56 AM
Chummin

Just took delivery on the new I30t. Could not find any decent Orgs for Infinity and noticed you guys have a good thing going on here. I never would have thought so much could come from Nissan. I am new here and read the FAQ etc...

I am a little disappointed though with the Auto Tranny that is in my car. I got the "t" for the beefed up suspension and handling (love it) but I hate the fact that it is always eager to get in to overdrive or seek the next gear. Most cars of this caliber have a little button that puts the tranny in to a sport mode. I contacted Stillen regarding some performance upgrades (SC) and basically got the "too soft of a tranny to handle a SC" and that bolt-ons would have to do (CAI, Cat-Back etc...). Not happy as I really wanted to SC this bad boy.

Question - Does ANYBODY know of a chip or a way to beef up this tranny? Back in my day, we simply put in a shift kit and a stall converter, but today that doesn't work quit the same. I'd like a second gear chirp or rip of the tires but cannot find an "economical" way to do so. Manuall transmission is not an option either.

Old 04-26-2001, 09:08 AM

Search on valve body (or VB) recalibration and level 10 rebuild. Those two oughtta make you happy. Congrats on your purchase!
Old 04-26-2001, 09:57 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Hmmmm... after reading what goes on at Level 10 during the rebuilds, I'm very skeptical at what they do. I've noticed and talked to some high powered autos without the Level 10 tranny rebuild. The only tranny mod they seem to be running is Don's VB recalibration.

A high stall torque converter is nice, but that has been said to put stress on the tranny.

If you really want a SC, tell Stillen you have a 5 spd. Once you get the kit, make a cold air intake instead of their intake tube. I'm pretty sure this'll work.