5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

HELP! Need Header options!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 06:01 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

HELP! Need Header options!!

Get this...I placed my order for Cattman headers on Wednesday night, and called them yesterday to make sure they weren't on back order or anything. The customer service lady put me on hold to call and make sure they had them, and told me they would be shipped tomorrow (Today). Then I get an e-mail today telling me that Cattman isnt making their headers overseas anymore and they're looking for a US location to make them cheaper, so they have no ETA. Any other suggestions? Can Hotshot 02-03' headers fit my car? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:51 PM

I have never done headers on a Max, but one thing I know is the 02-03s have a different block than your car and so I can't imagine the headers bolting up to yours. You could lay down the $$$$ and get some stillen ones. Good luck man.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:50 AM

I don't think Stillen makes them for my year. I could be wrong though.
Old 02-05-2005, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by sooner02r1
I have never done headers on a Max, but one thing I know is the 02-03s have a different block than your car and so I can't imagine the headers bolting up to yours. You could lay down the $$$$ and get some stillen ones. Good luck man.
FAQ-U - never recomend stillen for anything, especiall headers. Read the faqs if you dont know why.

dadiesel - yes you can put hotshot headers on your car. They bolt up fine. I have a feeling this is in the faqs too. Im glad I ordered my cattmans before they ran out
Old 02-05-2005, 05:12 PM

2kGLE- thanks for the info! I searched the FAQ, for awhile, and it is in there . When putting the HS headers on my 01' how much altering of the 02 sensors is there, if any? Also, will HS headers work with the Stillen downpipe I have on?
Old 02-05-2005, 05:31 PM

Headers replace the ypipe you have. you can just use o2 simulators http://o2simulator.com/24803.html
Old 02-05-2005, 08:13 PM
The non-postwhoring Org member

Originally Posted by sooner02r1
Dude you are a bit off on the different block thing, They are exactly the same block externally it is INTERNALLY that they have any difference, stroke, bore, pistons, crank, connecting rods and the head has the the VVT. The VVT is the only thing external change, a bigger cover, which is up where you mount the supercharger bracket on the VQ30DE's.

And ditto on the stealin' crap, don't get it.

-Peace
Old 02-06-2005, 06:37 AM

Thanks for the info! If the 02-03' HS headers fit 00-01's then why doesn't the company put that on the site? They should be listed as 00-03' right? Just a thought. Also, how many and which simulator do I want, Dual or Single Output? And, if I am having a shop put the headers and simulators on, what should the labor time be like? Thanks
Old 02-06-2005, 06:47 AM
VQ Wizard

Originally Posted by dadiesel
Thanks for the info! If the 02-03' HS headers fit 00-01's then why doesn't the company put that on the site? They should be listed as 00-03' right?
Because they don't exactly fit the '00-'01 cars. And they probably don't even know I have installed them on a '01. The '00 Fed spec cars with EGR are out of the picture because the HS headers are made without the EGR connector. If you have a Cali spec car they will bolt up fine but there is a bad clearance issue with the front O2 sensor. You have to make room for the sensor to fit without it smashing itself into the A/C line.

Just a thought. Also, how many and which simulator do I want, Dual or Single Output? And, if I am having a shop put the headers and simulators on, what should the labor time be like? Thanks
The HS Headers come with two O2 bungs to weld in after the catalyst to mount the secondary sensors. If you use the O2 sim instead of the actual sensors you will still have an issue with the O2 heater circuit. The ECU still wants to see this circuit and it will throw codes if it can't. The O2 sims do not provide a synthetic heater circuit.

Also, IMO the Cattman headers are better anyways. You may be better off just waiting for him to deliver his new product.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:06 AM
drag racing is for wussies

HS headers, 02 simulator, put the post cat 02 sensors in a safe location where it wont hit anything but are Connected to the engine harness still. I have my rear bank one tied to the power steering rack, and the front bank one is sitting under the intake manifold
Old 02-06-2005, 05:36 PM

I guess I will just cross my fingers that Cattman hurries with their finding a new manufacturer.
Old 02-06-2005, 05:52 PM

Why would you want to do headers on a 3L? You have no precats in the headers and the only difference would be the length of the pipes which would yield minimal gains? I think you should just buy a y-pipe and be set. The main reason people buy headers for most cars made today is the precats are in the manifold. I just don't see why you would spend almost a thousand dollars (Cattman headers, shipping, install) when you can spend a couple hundred and see 80% of the gains by just buying a y-pipe. IS the extra $700 worth a few HP? What a waste IMO..
Old 02-06-2005, 10:40 PM
The non-postwhoring Org member

Originally Posted by mdloops
Why would you want to do headers on a 3L? You have no precats in the headers and the only difference would be the length of the pipes which would yield minimal gains? I think you should just buy a y-pipe and be set. The main reason people buy headers for most cars made today is the precats are in the manifold. I just don't see why you would spend almost a thousand dollars (Cattman headers, shipping, install) when you can spend a couple hundred and see 80% of the gains by just buying a y-pipe. IS the extra $700 worth a few HP? What a waste IMO..
Again a bit off dude, some 3L VQ's don't have 2 precats. That would be the FED-spec cars in '00 which still have 1 precat. Most 5th gen's though do have 2 precats they are called CALI-Spec cars. I am pretty sure that most, if not all 4th gens have at least 1 precat as well. I could be wrong on that, but every 4th gen I have worked on has a precat.
Now as for no gains to be had, that is just not true at all. There have been dyno proven 10-15hp gains on VQ30DE's with headers. Mind you support mods will compliment the headers and can help further your gains, so YMMV.

-Peace
Old 02-07-2005, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by mdloops
Why did you buy a Maxima ? Why the fuq do you post ? STFU if you dont know that Cali Spec Maximas have the SAME front exhaust manifold with the precat as you POS 3.5L engine.
Old 02-07-2005, 03:49 PM

I've got a 2000 fedspec and i am going to try out the hotshot headers. I am either going to do away with the EGR system or weld on the fitting for the EGR on the headers. Any thoughts of which route i should take?
Old 02-07-2005, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by BlackBIRDVQ
Why did you buy a Maxima ? Why the fuq do you post ? STFU if you dont know that Cali Spec Maximas have the SAME front exhaust manifold with the precat as you POS 3.5L engine.
I post to make people like you mad. I guess I was wrong about something. Maybe I should read more about beefing up a family sedan. NOT!!
Old 02-07-2005, 08:09 PM

I'm just going to ignore your dumb remarks, obviously you know less bout cars than my GF does.

Chris, you can extend the EGR pipe down to the "ypipe" of the headers and have a muffler shop weld it on there. I have done things like that in the past with SR20s with turbo setups that needed to be emissions legal (FWD B13, B14s). It will work just fine as long as the EGR temp sensor and ECU sees EGR flow through it, if it doesn't then MIL light for EGR insufficient flow detected will pop up. I don't know bout the emissions laws in your state, but in mine all OBD2 cars need to be MIL free. As long as it is, they pass you.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by BlackBIRDVQ
I'm just going to ignore your dumb remarks, obviously you know less bout cars than my GF does.

Chris, you can extend the EGR pipe down to the "ypipe" of the headers and have a muffler shop weld it on there. I have done things like that in the past with SR20s with turbo setups that needed to be emissions legal (FWD B13, B14s). It will work just fine as long as the EGR temp sensor and ECU sees EGR flow through it, if it doesn't then MIL light for EGR insufficient flow detected will pop up. I don't know bout the emissions laws in your state, but in mine all OBD2 cars need to be MIL free. As long as it is, they pass you.
Thanks man, i will do that.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:27 AM

If my state doesn't have emission checks, and I don't have a cat, then when putting on the HS Headers do I even need to worry about the O2 sensors? I'm not going to be doing this install myself so I am just trying to get all the info for my tech.