5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Importing the Maxima?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 01:50 AM

Importing the Maxima?

I know this may sound like a weird ? but I am planning on moving to Japan this summer. I really don't want to leave my car here or sell it, and I wanted to know if it was possible to import it to Japan and how much would that cost? I heard about $2,000. If anything I guess I'll have to sell my Max and get a R34 or a S15 Spec R Aero..Darn :P
Old 02-06-2005, 07:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sell the car and get yourself a skyline.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:55 AM

get a s13 180 sx....and then its time to learn how to drift!

DRIFTO!
Old 02-06-2005, 10:43 AM

i dont even think they'd let you bring a us spec....it's also left hand drive
Old 02-06-2005, 10:52 AM
Isn't that a girl's name?

all the ridiculous models and special editions they get over in japan, with lower sticker prices and higher horsepower... and you want to bring a f*ckin maxima? if you're importing anything to japan it better be a svt cobra or a z06 vette.

get yourself something dope over there boy. i'd roll in an nsx-t all day.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:01 AM

seriously, japan's got it made....i'd just have a hard time getting used to driving on the other side of the road (and sitting on the right side of the car!). but imo that's why germany's the shiznit, autobahn, sick @ss rides, normal driving style as here
Old 02-06-2005, 11:17 AM

Sell the max and get somethign SICK over there like everyone says. I hear SKYLINE!!!
Def alot of faster cars there and you would be paying so much less man.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:03 PM
scopium

if anything.. i would sell my max here..go to japan buy a skyline then import it to the US..
those cars so soo much faster than the american maxima

Old 02-06-2005, 12:21 PM

I agree with everyone. You can bring American anything and they will love you for it. I know Europeans are loving our clunky SUVs.

Although, I wouldn't try bringing a skyline back to the states. According to skylinegtr.com, it can cost $10gs or more to agree with USDOT standards. Therefore you would have your car loan and a conversion loan
Old 02-06-2005, 12:22 PM

Sell the car and get a SKYLINE!!!
Old 02-06-2005, 12:36 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

I heard you can't mod your car over there. for ex. drop it or raise a vehicle... can anybody confirm this at all...
Old 02-06-2005, 03:04 PM

Like everyone here is saying you are better off selling the Maxima here and geting something better over there. Like the skyline. Great car!! And if you really want to keep the Maxima and ship it over there you also have to consider a few basic things. Japan drives on the left hand side so the cars are right hand drive which I believe you already know. In addition to doing the various engine mods to meet Japanese DOT standards you are gonna need headlight modificcations (i.e you beams will have to be re-aimed towards the other side of the road unlike here). You might somehow need a city light kit to convert your parking light to clear and disable the orange blinker/parking light so that light will only come on when you turn your blinkers on. Now if you had a 5.5 gen you would have no problem with the parking light. Now as for the tailights, the turn signals must be amber or clear with an amber bulb inside. I just dont understand why the U.S DOT allows manufacturers to use red rear turn signals. Amber is so much easier to see and also safer. So getting back to the taillights I an not sure how they would adress that. I know in Europe they would simply convert the reverse lights to turn signals and then use some kind of after market light as a reverse light on one side of the car and a rear fog light on the other side unless they have an american-european model of the same kind sold in that country and in that case you can simply buy the tail lights from the dealer. So just a few things to consider, but there might be more that I am not even aware of. I would suggest contacting the appropriate department in Japan that usually handles these issues and they would be able to give you proper information. But frankly speaking it's a whole lot eaiser to just sell the car here and take the money and buy a car over there.
Old 02-06-2005, 04:12 PM

y u wanna import ur maxima to japan when u can get a cefiro over there...............
Old 02-06-2005, 05:59 PM

Maxi113,

Let me give you the facts. You cannot export your car to Japan unless it's
1978 or older. No if, and, or buts about it. To import a car from Japan you
need to make it into U.S. specs and it'll cost ya. Listen to all the previous
posters and sell your car or do what I am going to do and let your parents
drive it while you make the payments. I'm planning to go to Korea this year
and that's what I'm going to do.

Originally Posted by Maxi113
I know this may sound like a weird ? but I am planning on moving to Japan this summer. I really don't want to leave my car here or sell it, and I wanted to know if it was possible to import it to Japan and how much would that cost? I heard about $2,000. If anything I guess I'll have to sell my Max and get a R34 or a S15 Spec R Aero..Darn :P
Old 02-06-2005, 06:01 PM

I am not sure why anybody would move to japan, but whatever. The only vehicles other countries like that we have are American muscle cars. Personally, I would bring the new stang GT over there. They cannot get american muscle cars in a lot of other countries. Sell the Max. IT is worth NOTHING over there because of all the restrictions the U.S. government puts on our cars (which I firmly agree with the government on). I would bring the new stang over there. They would kill for a 2005 stang gt.
Old 02-06-2005, 06:19 PM

As stated before ONLY 1978 and older vehicles can be imported to Japan. Many
of the service member bring older 60' or 70's camaro, mustang, or chrysler
vehicles to sell them down at Tokyo. If you are a service member you can buy
modern 05 or newer through AAFES (Army, Air Force Exchange Service). You
have to keep the vehicle for a year before selling it. I have a friend who bought
a couple of vipers for $50k and sold it for $120 down in Tokyo. I lived there
for 8 years and I made tons of money mainly selling nikes shoes (Air Jordan)
for $2000 a pair. If you are a service member and you decide to buy and
sell the OSI (AF), CIS ( Army), NIS (Navy) considers that black market and
you will do a lenthy jail time. Make your choice wisely. As for bringing a
Japanese vehicle (AKA Skyline) back to U.S. As stated earlier it'll cost you.
Let me give you some idea of what I'm talking about. The japanese cars do
not have side impact beam, There roof isn't strengthen, They don't meet
U.S. 70 decibel sound deadening requirements, The windows aren't made of
temper (shatter proof) glass, tires aren't rated over 80 mph, etc, etc, etc.
I could go on and on and on but you get the point. You can check with
State Department and they'll tell you the same thing. I hope I made this
quite clear for all concern.

Mike

Originally Posted by mdloops
I am not sure why anybody would move to japan, but whatever. The only vehicles other countries like that we have are American muscle cars. Personally, I would bring the new stang GT over there. They cannot get american muscle cars in a lot of other countries. Sell the Max. IT is worth NOTHING over there because of all the restrictions the U.S. government puts on our cars (which I firmly agree with the government on). I would bring the new stang over there. They would kill for a 2005 stang gt.
Old 02-06-2005, 07:42 PM

It's not worth importing your Maxima to Japan. Yet, I agree with everyone on the post above said, that things cost money to bring something back here or vice versa. So you're better off selling it unless you going to be gone for a short period of time, then perhaps you should put it in storage if you love the car so much. It's all up to what you want to do.
Old 02-06-2005, 07:45 PM

I don't believe he is a service member because he said he is "planning". I am in the service and I am pretty sure your made it quite overly obvious you are/were. I would just sell the max and buy a car there then.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:31 PM

You can import cars there, well prolly just muscle cars because I remember seeing this movie that had a 87 Vette..It was ugly too..Yeah I guess I'm going to have to sell my car. No I'm not in the service..I was only curious if it was possible, and plus I like the Maxima it rox! But of course there are better cars over there like the Skyline..If anything I'm going to get an Evo 4 and spin around like Jackie Chan! Thanks for your help guys!!!
Old 02-07-2005, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Tek-Niq
I heard you can't mod your car over there. for ex. drop it or raise a vehicle... can anybody confirm this at all...
that's gotta be stupidest claim whoever told you that ahahaha. seeing as the majority of aftermarket parts are based off of japanese design or actually made in japan, i'd say NO. lol, like seriously, the thought of this is boggling. haven't you seen japanese tuner magazines!?! they get waaaay nuttier on their rides than people here (like the stupid import tuner, sport compact car, etc etc). they get DOWN on their cars believe me lol. best kits, best wheels, everything. damn if they didn't allow people to lower their rides tein would not be chillin there (same goes to the 8373498 other companies there)
Old 02-07-2005, 01:11 PM

the hell with the maxima if you going to Japan like everyone says get yourself a Skyline thats my dream car. I wish they had it here, just like in Japan. GT-R
Old 02-07-2005, 01:38 PM

Since it's obvious you never been to Japan let me make it clear to you. If
you get a junker there you are require to have two insurance. One is a
Japanese Compulsory Insurance (JCI) and a liability insurance. Your require-
ment are to have a U.S. license. There driving school last about couple of
hours just for you get familiarize with there driving laws. Once you finished
with there school you are now consider a professional driver. You are
expected to be aware of your surroundings at all times. Example in the states
if a kid jump in front of you between two cars and you hit him. The police
will say the kid is at fault and you had no way of knowing that kid would run
in front of you. In Japan you are at FAULT at all the time. Keep this in mind.
If you want more info I can give it to ya. Just let me know

Mike

Originally Posted by Maxi113
You can import cars there, well prolly just muscle cars because I remember seeing this movie that had a 87 Vette..It was ugly too..Yeah I guess I'm going to have to sell my car. No I'm not in the service..I was only curious if it was possible, and plus I like the Maxima it rox! But of course there are better cars over there like the Skyline..If anything I'm going to get an Evo 4 and spin around like Jackie Chan! Thanks for your help guys!!!
Old 02-07-2005, 01:42 PM
I'm needing a caw

Umm friend of mine imported a Porshe Boxster to Japan. It was a 2001 or so year. He only had to keep it for about 6 months to make it "used". He imported it to Japan and sold it there for a decent profit.
Old 02-07-2005, 03:36 PM

an r34 is still pricey in japan. if you want to keep the feel of your max, but still want some boost. try a cefiro. it's the max's equivelent there. but it's rear wheel drive. and some are factory turbo. while i was living there the s13 and 14 were the mod kings there. everyone at the tokyo auto solon had one in thier booth's. every part imaginable was availeble.

and while i was there, there was a club owner that drove a 2 door tahoe. he was always parked half in the street and half on the side walk. and also a lot of the euro cars are left side drive. a lot. it didnt make sense to me. but then again. i spent 70% of my time drinking chu-hi's.
Old 02-07-2005, 03:59 PM

u sure cefiros ar RWD????
Old 02-07-2005, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by ighettoboyi
seriously, japan's got it made....
We can thank the Nukes the US dropped on them.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:40 PM

He either bypass the Japanese import laws or was just ignorant to the facts.
In either case good for him to get a porshe in the country. Japanese are
willing to pay top dollar for a decent car especially if it's an american built.

Mike

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Umm friend of mine imported a Porshe Boxster to Japan. It was a 2001 or so year. He only had to keep it for about 6 months to make it "used". He imported it to Japan and sold it there for a decent profit.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaPolak
We can thank the Nukes the US dropped on them.
whats that supposed to mean?
Old 02-07-2005, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by ighettoboyi
whats that supposed to mean?
Well, since the US dropped the bombs on Japan, Japan started to put its money into technology instead of the army. (Middle School History)
Old 02-07-2005, 07:25 PM

lol, is that what they teach in the school districts back east? you need to take a university poli sci class, there's a lot more to that. A LOT
Old 02-07-2005, 10:54 PM

Wow thanks for telling me that about the driving laws. Yeah I need a lot of help, I mean I can speak the language, but I've never been there..If you guys can help me out about stuff let me know..IM me on aim or send me a message on here! So how long will my license be good out there? How come they require two insurances, how much is it out there anyway? A cef is RWD, they are awesome, too bad the Max isn't...
Old 02-08-2005, 03:58 AM

i know the cefiro was rwd. im not sure now though. cant hurt to check. good luck anyway.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:23 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I am assuming you are non military, since the military would have given you all the information you need for your move, so here is my two cents. I suggest you don't export your Max their. Wait till you get their, familiarized yourself with the transportation, living scheme, then decide what is best for you. In Japan you drive on the left, so the steering is on the right. You can get some decent prices on used Toyotas, Nissans, Hondas, but, automobile tax is high, gas is very high, auto insurance is high, stringent vehicle inspections that make the California ones seem like a walk in the park, and high parking fees/costs in the cities, especially Tokyo. Lots of scooters and motocycles roam the streets, so always drive defensively. And always be careful when you open your vehicle doors. Many a scooter have slamed onto opening doors. The main mode of transportation in the major cities is the subway/train. Plus they pack them like sardines. You are in for a whole new experience. The culture, the people, and the cost of living. Back in the day, I once paid $6 for a little cup of coffee.

Pedro
Old 02-08-2005, 07:28 AM

6 dollars for not even a full cup!

japan is awesome though. and if you do end up getting a FAST ride and you're about to get pulled over, you're allowed to bounce lol. not saying i encourage it cuz it's still SUPER dangerous but yea, they don't take car chases seriously, they just mail you your ticket
Old 02-08-2005, 08:43 AM

AFAIK, the Cefiro is FWD ( Nissan Cefiro) and is pretty much identical to the 2G Infiniti I30, except it's Nissan badged and there's a VQ20DE motor available.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by F23A4
AFAIK, the Cefiro is FWD ( Nissan Cefiro) and is pretty much identical to the 2G Infiniti I30, except it's Nissan badged and there's a VQ20DE motor available.
That's a link to the Malaysian website and that is the old A33 Cefiro. If you look in the Japanese website, the Japanese FWD version would be the Teana (based on FF-L platform), which is called the Cefiro in say, Hong Kong, but Maxima in Australia.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:51 AM

Well then, if you can only export a 1978 or older car, then how did they did all these impalas over there?

http://impalass94-96.hp.infoseek.co.jp/newpage236.html

Old 02-08-2005, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by CCS2k1Max
That's a link to the Malaysian website and that is the old A33 Cefiro. If you look in the Japanese website, the Japanese FWD version would be the Teana (based on FF-L platform), which is called the Cefiro in say, Hong Kong, but Maxima in Australia.
That Malaysian Nissan Cefiro is identical to the Cefiro posted on the Nissan Japan website prior to Nissan updating the JDM page. That said, they are FWD not RWD.

Link
Other Link
Just sub out VQ30DE for VQ25DD (w/ NEO VVL)
Old 02-08-2005, 12:53 PM

Yeah food is expensive, and there is no cereal! I'm taking 5 boxes of Lucky Charms! Why is it so expensive to own a freaking car?! I want a Cefiro, especially the turbo one, why didn't they do that with the maxima? Offer a turbo 5th gen or something..That would have been so cool..
Old 02-08-2005, 12:59 PM
I'm needing a caw

You sure about that?

Originally Posted by mikelly
Maxi113,

Let me give you the facts. You cannot export your car to Japan unless it's
1978 or older. No if, and, or buts about it. To import a car from Japan you
need to make it into U.S. specs and it'll cost ya. Listen to all the previous
posters and sell your car or do what I am going to do and let your parents
drive it while you make the payments. I'm planning to go to Korea this year
and that's what I'm going to do.

Quick Reply: Importing the Maxima?