5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Got rear ended by a 18-wheeler :-(

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 08:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Got rear ended by a 18-wheeler :-(

A few blocks from home, driving, minding my own business notice a semi driving erratically almost missing a bus (being loaded) by an inch, swerving lane to lane - which I thought was very wreckless because unlike cars, semi's are very hard to control and predict where the trailer will end up, well he almost missed taking out a few cars when he avoided missing that bus. I was in the left lane in a two lane street (35MPH zone) I gradually drive past by the semi as he sticks to the right lane, 3-4 cars in front of him I turn on my signal and start slowing to make the left onto my street when all of a sudden I look up in the rearview mirror and here comes the Behemoth now apparently in my left lane behind me speeding right towards me, I take my foot off the brakes and stomp on the accellerator to try to avoid it from hitting me, but too late... a LOUD *** impact and I am dragged a few feet down the street.

The results;

I am ok, but the maxima took a beating, the rear window glass held up fine unshatterd till later suddenly it shattered while the car was parked.

I am happy to be fine and not hurt but I feel bad about the car, I have always tried to keep it safe and clean, its sad to see it in such a bad shape.

To add to the stress, the guy tries to tell the cops that I swerved in front of him. Luckily thought there were several witnesses and they told the cops what happened (which is exactly what I just wrote) and how the driver was driving wrecklessly.

I hope nothing more comes out of this, I am alreayd stressed out enough.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:13 PM

man, that pic is painful to see brother. sorry for your luck, i hope you get compensated well for this . you think its a totalled?
Old 02-21-2005, 08:15 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

damn!!!thats good youre alright.
thats looks pretty bad.
how did that passenger side light not break??
Old 02-21-2005, 08:16 PM
retired moderator

man, that's a shame.....I am so paranoid about trucks behind me for that very reason...had a few close calls myself....good that you're ok, hope it all works out.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:22 PM
99 SE-L

Damn dude thats a pretty good amount of damage the whole quarter is dented in, good to hear you are ok... Althought maximas do hold up well if this was a civic or integra it wouldint be much left

Old 02-21-2005, 08:23 PM

Glad to see your doin fine, but the max I feel bad for. Almost brings a tear to my eye. I hope the truck driver gets whats comin to him.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:24 PM

wow, im glad your ok too bro. its good that the witnesses were around too, so the guy doesnt lie and get away with it.

was it a trucking company? like J.B. Hunt or Yellow freight or something? it may be easier to deal with them and insurance than a small independent driver or smaller firm.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:26 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

sorry to see that... glad you are ok.....
On the positive side... Do you feel it.... !!! the pain in your neck.... complain about it and sue the a$$ .. well it is your call.. I think your car is a totaled... cause of the rear window... good luck....
Old 02-21-2005, 08:28 PM
99 SE-L

yes deffinately complain about injury after all it was a Fcking 18 Wheeler whats the mileage on the max it might be totaled too i think

Old 02-21-2005, 09:05 PM

Looks totalled to me. Atleast your OK and walked away from it.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:14 PM
Reported

a runaway 18-wheeler is a nightmare. thats some scary stuff right there. goodluck with the insurance company.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:46 PM

Im glad you are alright! The max took a beating and seems to have done very well for a semi hitting it.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:50 PM

o man that looks bad
glad ur ok though buddy
Old 02-21-2005, 10:01 PM
Unsuccesful STL Coordinator

Good to hear you are ok. I know how painful it must be to see your car like that. To bad the truck driver wasn't hurt. No drinking allegations?
Old 02-22-2005, 05:11 AM

I'm glad you are not injured, but man I would have smack that guy badly... WTF a truck driver should be the most safer driver out there but in this case it's clear that this guys is a fockin moron. It seem your car is totalled, on such impact the frame must have been bent, you dont want to have this car repair.

Good luck.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:13 AM

Glad to hear your ok! It could have been much worse. Keep us updated.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:15 AM

hey man as long as you are ok that is what matters.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:48 AM

Sorry about the max (looks totalled); as long as your okay....that's what really matters.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:14 AM

It's good you're ok! I don't know why people aren't charged more frequently with making false statements. It seems that people just lie when an accident is their fault, and when they're called out on it nobody cares. Pisses me off. That truck driver should be beaten!
Old 02-22-2005, 08:00 AM

hey thanks all for your support and responses. I am beginning to grasp the reality as well that the car may be totalled :-( this was my first car that I truly liked from every aspect. If its totalled I will miss it a lot.

the truck driver turned out to be a clever guy, first he made me guilty telling me how he is lost and thought that the two lane street was a hwy and was acting all confused and almost at the verge of crying, I took pity on him and went as far as helping him out by giving him directions to where he was supposedly headed (which was the totally oppositte direction of where he was at this moment and in a nother state! Oregon) and he was acting all shaken up that he wasnt understanding my directions so I even outlined the route on a map in my car and gave the map to him. The guy then turns around the tells the cops that I had cut in front of him and slammed on the brakes!!!!!

The cops told me this afterwards when the truck driver had left the scene.

I was very upset, I asked the witness (one was still at the scene with me) if she had seen me "cut in front" of the semi, she backed me up on this and I really think that the cops werent beleving the semi driver. One cop even said that if I had cut in front of the truck then the point of impact would have been on the other side of the trunk.

anyways this is just added on stress. I was being 100% honest and the truck driver is trying to take advantage of me.

I think the truck was either owned by the driver because the last names mached on the tractor and the driver, or its a small comapany. The insurance company seems to be some small one too :-( and my insurance didnt even recognize the name of his insurance company which is listed as "Insurance Company of PA" thats all!!!! but GEICO (my insurance) told me to rest assured they will get the correct info from the truck owner as they have all the truck details from police.

I hope these small time insurance crooks dont try something funny.

Another worry? this morning I woke up with a slight headache (which COULD be result of me being out in the cold for such long last evening) and a mild pain from the left lower ribs radiating towards the center of my back, my collegues are making me paranoid that you dont necessarily feel the pain right away after the accident as one of them claims his back/neck pains started 3-4 months after his accident!!!

anyways sorry for unloading all this here, I know its a forum about the beloved maxima but I felt like sharing...

Thanks again for the responses guys, really feel like a family member!

You all have a nice day/night!
Old 02-22-2005, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by SkoorbMax
It's good you're ok! I don't know why people aren't charged more frequently with making false statements. It seems that people just lie when an accident is their fault, and when they're called out on it nobody cares. Pisses me off. That truck driver should be beaten!

Friend I TOTALLY AGREE with you, I think they should do a lie detecter test right at the scene (maybe i am exaggerating here) but this is ridiculus. People get away with alot of this crap!
Old 02-22-2005, 08:03 AM
Seoul Man

I doubt alcohol was involved. If he's a trucker, he was probably on meth to stay awake and drive for long periods of time. The guy needs to have extensive drug testing done.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by spiromax
I doubt alcohol was involved. If he's a trucker, he was probably on meth to stay awake and drive for long periods of time. The guy needs to have extensive drug testing done.
you know, the more and more I think of it, judging by the drivers behaviour I bet you are very right! I am surprised that the cops didnt do some sort of test on him (I have no clue if there is such a test on the spot for meth)

but drugs does explain most of his behaviour
Old 02-22-2005, 08:12 AM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

you should be set if the insurance got your back... to have a truck on the road you have to a one million dollar policy no less, its the law. hopefully everything turn out well for you.

as for the pain. you should get looked at even if its not serious, and maybe you can get a nice lawsuit and possibly a car out of it after the insurance gets done... I would get checked my man a truck company is money... I know I truck drive also...
Old 02-22-2005, 08:18 AM

sucks to see a max in that condition. I am surprised it held up so well after being hit by a Semi... Good luck and that car looks totalled to me... looks like you're getting another one...
Old 02-22-2005, 02:13 PM
meh

I'm glad that you are ot hurt. Although it is sad to see your pride n joy in such horrible shape, frankly, it reassures me that mine will hold up, if I'm ever in such a situation.

I hope that nothing serious physically develops, and that everything works out for you man.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:14 PM

Hey I'm an EMT and I'd say get checked out at least so there is a record of your injury. It is probably just a muscular strain in your lower back, but better to be safe then sorry later on...
Old 02-22-2005, 02:27 PM

I didnt want to say anything that would offend any truckers on the .org but . A lot of them are speedballing something to keep going for hours on end.

Sorry about your ride Ghetto but, very glad you're alright. Looking ahead, G35? TL? Legacy GT? Altima SE-R?
Old 02-22-2005, 03:20 PM
j45

Ouch, hope you're feeling okay
Old 02-22-2005, 03:22 PM

thank God your alright bro.. hope things are well.. and hope you get compensated well.. get that money..
Old 02-22-2005, 03:46 PM

I just totaled my Toyota pickup and felt fine at the time. 2 days later my back is bothering me. Several people have told me that this is common including my own insurance company. You need to file a personal injury claim and get checked out. My injury required 3 weeks of physical therapy and I didn't think it was that bad (soft tissue injury). Doing okay now. Good luck and I hope your back gets better.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi!!!
Sorry about your maxima, but i guess its all for the good. Now u could finally buy that GMC Envoy SLT that u always wanted
and yea u should go get it checked, my aunt's pain started after efew months
Old 02-22-2005, 05:38 PM

If the driver is properly licensed with a class A CDL, he will likely get a post accident drug test. Commercial drivers licenses are regualted by the feds and require testing after serious accidents.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by GhettoMAX
A few blocks from home, driving, minding my own business notice a semi driving erratically almost missing a bus (being loaded) by an inch, swerving lane to lane - which I thought was very wreckless because unlike cars, semi's are very hard to control and predict where the trailer will end up, well he almost missed taking out a few cars when he avoided missing that bus. I was in the left lane in a two lane street (35MPH zone) I gradually drive past by the semi as he sticks to the right lane, 3-4 cars in front of him I turn on my signal and start slowing to make the left onto my street when all of a sudden I look up in the rearview mirror and here comes the Behemoth now apparently in my left lane behind me speeding right towards me, I take my foot off the brakes and stomp on the accellerator to try to avoid it from hitting me, but too late... a LOUD *** impact and I am dragged a few feet down the street.

I am ok, but the maxima took a beating, the rear window glass held up fine unshatterd till later suddenly it shattered while the car was parked.

I am happy to be fine and not hurt but I feel bad about the car, I have always tried to keep it safe and clean, its sad to see it in such a bad shape.

To add to the stress, the guy tries to tell the cops that I swerved in front of him. Luckily thought there were several witnesses and they told the cops what happened (which is exactly what I just wrote) and how the driver was driving wrecklessly.

I hope nothing more comes out of this, I am alreayd stressed out enough.

As bad as it looks, I think it's a long way from being totaled. It will cost a few grand to replace the parts and install/paint it though. The car is fairly new. Glad that you are not too bad off after that impact.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:34 PM

yea, it sucks to see something like that moreless be in something like that. hope things turn out your way and the max is back to normal. good luck
Old 02-22-2005, 06:58 PM

Thanks again guys for the responses.

My insurance guy came to take a look at the car and he is saying that it wont be totalled since the damage is under $6500 for all he sees and still have about $6000 more to go before its considered totalled, this is good news! He said that he cant see any apparent frame damage at this point but once i get it to a shop of my preference they will tear it appart from the back and check for further damages.

he has given me a copy of the initial estimate as well.

manbir,

I never expressed any desires for an envoy, I am happy with my max, and the oddyssey. If I wanted a SUV i wouldve gone for a Armada as I first considered before going for the oddy.

thanks a lot all for your responses.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:20 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

I hate them crazy truck drivers. Painful to look at those pictures.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:07 PM
I R The Law

damn man....that sucks *** but its good to hear that ur okay.....man when i saw those pictures my heart sank and broke in half.....i hope u get SUPER BANK for that accident.....man id kill that driver if that ever happened to my car.....i hope u well man
Old 02-22-2005, 09:58 PM

WOW! I so hate this for you. I am NEVER nice to people who hit my cars. You will pay. Also, go to get your back checked. I know someone who was hit in the rear and days later she had excrutiating pain in her neck, and she was in a 4runner and was bumped by a sedan.... Also, just like your back windshield, your back may give out too. Get it FULLY checked out before it gets worse. Your nerves could be hanging by a string. Someone suggested a G35??? Hell, after a wreck like this you can't help but think tank or huge school bus as your preferred mode of transportation. I also would sue the caca out of the driver, and company. This is unacceptable.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:12 PM

Damn, the most important thing is that youre healthy. That trucker should be punished and tested, but not in that order.

Quick Reply: Got rear ended by a 18-wheeler :-(