5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Addco v. Stillen RSB

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2001, 06:15 AM

Addco's is about $100 less expensive, considering shipping costs. I've heard that a clunking noise can exist w/Addco's rsb when cornering. Could someone with an Addco rsb (w/urethane bushings) please comment on this? If this is true, is the noise only when cornering at high speeds? Thanks for your help.
Old 05-02-2001, 06:56 AM

Originally posted by Max 1109
Addco's is about $100 less expensive, considering shipping costs. I've heard that a clunking noise can exist w/Addco's rsb when cornering. Could someone with an Addco rsb (w/urethane bushings) please comment on this? If this is true, is the noise only when cornering at high speeds? Thanks for your help.
I had an Addco on my car and took it off due to the clunking. It wouldn't do it on high speeds for me. it would do it on very sharp bumps.

Then I lowered my car and every bump that thing was banging and clunking. To this day I still can't tell where the noise was coming from.

I'm not a big fan of Stillen but in this case I say go for the Stillen RSB.
Old 05-02-2001, 08:03 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've heard no clunking noises. And I've done both hard and normal cornering.

Old 05-02-2001, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by clee130
I've heard no clunking noises. And I've done both hard and normal cornering.

Is your car lowered?
Old 05-02-2001, 01:51 PM

Nope... but I've ridden in a lowered MAx with an Addco RSB and heard no clunking either. My car and the other car are 4th gens if that counts for anything.

Originally posted by punkdork
Is your car lowered?
Old 05-02-2001, 02:09 PM

Nope... but I've ridden in a lowered MAx with an Addco RSB and heard no clunking either. My car and the other car are 4th gens if that counts for anything.

Maybe... where do you have the brackets on your bar positioned?
Old 05-02-2001, 02:17 PM

I placed the brackets as close to the 90 degree bend as possible on the rear axle and on the arms, there wasn't much room to play with, so I just placed them around the middle of the end piece.

Off the subject, I heard that you have neons that turn on when you open the door? Is that true? If so, how'd you wire it so that it does that?

Maybe... where do you have the brackets on your bar positioned?
Old 05-02-2001, 02:46 PM

I placed the brackets as close to the 90 degree bend as possible on the rear axle and on the arms, there wasn't much room to play with, so I just placed them around the middle of the end piece.

Off the subject, I heard that you have neons that turn on when you open the door? Is that true? If so, how'd you wire it so that it does that?

Regarding the brackets... I had mine as close to the bends as possible on the axle and on the arms I had them about 3/4" from the ends.

As far as the neons go, I just tapped into the wires running to one of my courtesy lights.
Old 05-03-2001, 05:22 AM

Has anyone had both?

I just want to know if one offers better performance than the other. With the FSTB's it is all basically the same design but the Addco and Stillen RSB's look completely different. I am not worried about the clunking noise because it seems to be an issue with not tightening everything down. For the $100 price difference I could get some Raybrig Thunders!
Old 05-03-2001, 06:44 AM

Re: Has anyone had both?

Originally posted by Lumbee799
I just want to know if one offers better performance than the other. With the FSTB's it is all basically the same design but the Addco and Stillen RSB's look completely different. I am not worried about the clunking noise because it seems to be an issue with not tightening everything down. For the $100 price difference I could get some Raybrig Thunders!
Trust me, the clunking is not an issue of tightening things. I had that thing on my car as tight as possible and after I put on the springs I double checked to make sure none of the bolts had come loose. Did you not read the thread where the I30 owner had the same experience I did? Something changed between the 4th and 5th gen so that the Addco doesn't fit/perform 100%.
Old 05-03-2001, 07:36 PM

Re: Re: Has anyone had both?

Trust me, the clunking is not an issue of tightening things. I had that thing on my car as tight as possible and after I put on the springs I double checked to make sure none of the bolts had come loose. Did you not read the thread where the I30 owner had the same experience I did? Something changed between the 4th and 5th gen so that the Addco doesn't fit/perform 100%.
Thanks punkdork for your input. I wish there were others to attest to the problem you had. If there are any Addco rsb owners who have had no problems, on a 5th gen., please reply.
Old 05-03-2001, 07:41 PM

Re: Re: Re: Has anyone had both?

Thanks punkdork for your input. I wish there were others to attest to the problem you had. If there are any Addco rsb owners who have had no problems, on a 5th gen., please reply.
The reason no one is responding is I think only two or three other people have them...
Old 05-06-2001, 04:29 AM

I just got and installed an Addco rsb on my 2k maxima. I read of the concerns and simply couldn't justify the extra $100 for the Stillen when the whole assembly amounts to maybe $40 in parts. Both designs are very similar - only the bracketry is defferent. Unfortunately both bars end up being about 90% unsprung weight. The Addco install was typical Addco (I've used them on many other cars) - ie a little difficult because fits are approximate (had to use a hammer). I could now do it in under an hour. I haven't had a chance to do extensive testing but have heard no noise yet. I did take steps to eliminate bind in the urethane bushings (a potential noise) by greasing them with synthetic bearing grease (my never-seize was hiding). I can see where the bracket will hit on the passenger side where the transverse suspension link mounts to the body - but that will take about 8 inches of suspension deflection, which I consider an extreme case. That could probably be fixed by modifying the Addco bracket a little. The change between '99 and '00 is that the transverse link was moved from in front of the axle to the rear, and apparently a little closer. I'm not feeling bad about stiffing Stillen - if their price were reasonable I would have gone that way.

Dave