5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

BIE = bra is evil

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2001, 01:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

took off the bra today and I saw the paint on the edge of the hood start to fade and peel....brought it over to a friend who works in a body shop....he thought it was the overpaint from the bra and tried to rubbed it off with polish..but instead, he took off more paint. Finally, the owner of the bodyshop told me that was cause by the car viration and wind which makes the bra to rub the paint off..happens a lot if u have a loose bra (yup, ppl like me who take it off a lot)

oh well, they are going to spray the edge for me for free...
and he gave me this advice:

-= put some tape along the edge of the hood =-

even with the bra....I still got chipped on the fenders and the upper portion of the hood...

next mod of mine....SM tight leather for the entire car. =)
Old 05-03-2001, 06:33 AM

**** ... I've told so many people about how bad ...

bra's r 4 their cars ... but I always get flamed! It's 2 much maintenaince 2 ensure that you don't have any dirt or crap in there when you're driving @ fast highways speeds which will cause the thing 2 flap around & use all the trapped dirt as an abrasive!!!

Hope all's ok though!

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]
took off the bra today and I saw the paint on the edge of the hood start to fade and peel....brought it over to a friend who works in a body shop....he thought it was the overpaint from the bra and tried to rubbed it off with polish..but instead, he took off more paint. Finally, the owner of the bodyshop told me that was cause by the car viration and wind which makes the bra to rub the paint off..happens a lot if u have a loose bra (yup, ppl like me who take it off a lot)

oh well, they are going to spray the edge for me for free...
and he gave me this advice:

-= put some tape along the edge of the hood =-

even with the bra....I still got chipped on the fenders and the upper portion of the hood...

next mod of mine....SM tight leather for the entire car. =)
Old 05-03-2001, 06:44 AM

Geez...

Reading this, I think I'm going to put some of that 3M tape that i have been hearing about under the bra.

A couple of quick questions, where can I buy the tape, and is the tape permanent? If I want to remove the tape later on to wax or something, is that stuff going to peel the crappy pain off of my car??

help??

Green
Old 05-03-2001, 08:48 AM

*** = tape is temporary

Originally posted by Green_2
Reading this, I think I'm going to put some of that 3M tape that i have been hearing about under the bra.

A couple of quick questions, where can I buy the tape, and is the tape permanent? If I want to remove the tape later on to wax or something, is that stuff going to peel the crappy pain off of my car??

help??

Green
u can use any tape...not too sticky, as long it can cover the edge. I will suggest to wax ur car before u put the tape on. take it off when u need too, i.e. for wax, wash, etc.

the shop owner told me that to put it up for a few weeks...peel it off and I will see the tape get rubbed off...
Old 05-03-2001, 09:41 AM

Re: Geez...

Originally posted by Green_2

help??

Green
Here is my experience with the 3M Tape in the month that I've had it on my Max:

1) You've gotta get a professional to put it on for you although the labor can be pricey because it's a great deal of labor for one person (or even 2 people). This way you can insure that it's done properly. If you want the info about the kits for do-it-yourself purposes...look on clearmask.com or xpel.com

2) You can take the tape off if you have to but it's meant to stay on the hood. Since it's clear, you won't notice it's there anyway. As for it taking the wax off, I wouldn't know yet. Maybe another .Org member that has had the tape on longer can elaborate on that.

3) Not only does the tape prevent chipping, after a long drive, you can also see all the bug stains and road dirt that ends up on the tape and it makes you glad that it's there instead of eating away at the precious paint. Just make sure to clean the surface whenever you can to keep it spotless and shiny.

IMHO, it's a worthy investment as long as it holds up (we'll see). After all, what's the point of protecting the paint if noone can ever see it since it's covered up by a bra. Good luck.
Old 05-03-2001, 10:06 AM

I intend to buy a bra (bro, manzier, etc. - Seinfeld reference ) for my Maxima in the coming weeks, and once I get it, I do know better than to keep the thing on all the time. I only want to use it for long trips in decent weather.

I've seen the effects of a bra permanently left on cars, and they sure do let you know they've been left on!
Old 05-03-2001, 10:15 AM

do yourselves a favour ... get a the bug deflector!!

why r u all so damn stubborn?

Old 05-03-2001, 10:20 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: do yourselves a favour ... get a the bug deflector!!

Originally posted by ohboiya

Because I like showing off my car's battle scars.
Old 05-03-2001, 10:26 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

I have it and ....

agree with mbcp_tdog. Have a professional do it. The kits (you need 2, one for hood and mirrors and the second for the bumper) are around 100 - 200 a piece. I had the whole thing done in Cincy by 4G Marketing and they did an awesome job for about 330 + tax. Well worth the money in labor for sure because it is a wet application and very much a pain to work with. I watched for most of the time and it still took this guy many hours to do it.

Results. Same as mbcp_tdog. Just wash it when you have many bug stains on it. I let it go to long (more than a day) before I had an opportunity to get a coat of wax on the tape(which by the way is more of a flexible film) and had a hard time cleaning it off. Now that I have a coat(s) of wax on it, cleaning is a breeze. You wax and wash just like your paint.

As for the waxing, this is mostly a permanant solution. You can't just pull it off and then put it back on. You have to heat the film in excess of 150F to get it "gooey" enough to peel back. The guy that put it on had to do this once or twice. I am not sure if the NISSAN paint will stick the metal or the film, but he has pulled off other cars and experienced no problems other than the cleanup. Just wax the film, in blends in perfectly with the cars finish.

If you do get, which in MHO is a great way to go, just remember to wax from the film to the paint in fluid motions with very little wax on the applicator (read: no huge blobs of liquid wax) . Otherwise you will be using the q-tips in quantity to get the wax outta the ridge line.
Old 05-03-2001, 06:24 PM

Re: do yourselves a favour ... get a the bug deflector!!

Ohboiya.. how much did you pay for yours??

I was gonna get a sunroof deflector and had never thought of the bug deflector till you mentioned it.

Originally posted by ohboiya

Old 05-03-2001, 07:07 PM

Re: Re: do yourselves a favour ... get a the bug deflector!!

Originally posted by rerunn
Ohboiya.. how much did you pay for yours??

I was gonna get a sunroof deflector and had never thought of the bug deflector till you mentioned it.
hmm .. good question ... the dealer gave it 2 me 4 free .. but I think he said it was about $100 Cdn ... so about $65 USD ....