5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Crocked Stearing Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 05:32 PM

Crocked Stearing Wheel

Hey all,
I need help people. The day of the snow storm I was driving like 7 mph and I was making a left turn and my skid and my right front wheel hit the curb with the steering wheel turned all the way to the left. The next day I noticed that my steering wheel was crocked , it was turned to the right... So I took into get a Wheel alignment and fixed the steering wheel alittle but not completely, so I took it back and they did it again but when I drove away I noticed that it still stayed the same. the mechanic told me that he checked the bar,shocks ,struts and said that it didnt seem that anything was damaged...SO WHY IS MY STEERING WHEEL STILL SLIGHTY CROCKED TO THE RIGHT. Should i take it to the dealer or is it something that can be taken care of locally. PLEASE if anyone can help me I would REALLY appreciate it. THANK YOU TO ALL
Coby
Old 03-02-2005, 06:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

you mean crooked? or crocked? like beat up? it could be your lower control arm, or the knuckle, im not a mechanic but i had to get them replaced from hitting a curb...
Old 03-02-2005, 06:53 PM

Did they do the alignment while the steering wheel was physically straight? (Turned 0 degrees) If they aligned it with the wheel in the crooked position, that would be why it's still crooked when you're driving straight.

-Brian
Old 03-03-2005, 07:39 AM

The Steering wheel was on ( 0 degrees ) when they alighed the wheels. And the steering wheel is still crooked. What else do you think it might be. The mechanic said that nothing was damaged and when I drive its completely fine just the stupid steering wheel is alittle crooked. Please Help !
Old 03-04-2005, 08:08 AM
XGaSpAcHo

check your tires for abnormalities the tire pressure

on a side note...brian i love your sig!

Old 03-04-2005, 09:42 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I've had the same problem since I bought my max. it is slightly cocked to the right. I took it to get is aligned and went back 2 other times they said everything's w/in spec. I have just been dealing with it. It drives straight but the wheel is cocked. I think there's a TSB out on this, not sure though.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by dgmaxse
I've had the same problem since I bought my max. it is slightly cocked to the right. I took it to get is aligned and went back 2 other times they said everything's w/in spec. I have just been dealing with it. It drives straight but the wheel is cocked. I think there's a TSB out on this, not sure though.
The only steering-related one I can think of is the Transverse-Link Recall, and IIRC this doesn't cause the steering wheel to be crooked. I had a Nissan dealer check to see if my car had the necessary recalls done, and they said that it had, which I assume includes the transverse-link. And yet, my steering wheel has been slightly crooked like this ever since I got the car.

Originally Posted by XGaSpAcHo
check your tires for abnormalities the tire pressure

on a side note...brian i love your sig!
Thanks. I owe it all to photoshop.
Old 08-06-2021, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Nicely done Bevy! Way to join the forum and make a great contribution. I will likely make this a sticky until I create a new sticky with current how to's and useful information, or add it to the existing sticky's. I will then link to this thread.

Max ride 41 needs these badly!
Old 08-06-2021, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Nicely done Bevy! Way to join the forum and make a great contribution. I will likely make this a sticky until I create a new sticky with current how to's and useful information, or add it to the existing sticky's. I will then link to this thread.

Max ride 41 needs these badly!
I told you to stop smoking crack bro...