5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

why a grounding kit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 11:23 AM

why a grounding kit?

I know this's been covered before, but what are ALL the benefits of an electrical grounding kit? Any drawbacks?
Old 03-11-2005, 12:59 PM
Need A Light?

probably a few extra hp in the low end....I didn't notice much difference top end...just initial start up (smoother) and low end tq in 1st gear....oh yeah it seems as though my navi and gauges got brighter...probably my aftermarket amp&sub was drawing too much power before i added the ground kit....

no drawbacks.....well it ain't DIRT CHEAP thats the only drawback i can think of....I bought my kit from Matt Blehm ($50 shipped)....so it ain't dirt cheap even though its just a few wires....even if you make your own kit...your looking to spend over $20 bucks for the supplies....
Old 03-11-2005, 01:38 PM

I do have a strong amp/stereo, angel eyes, and my dash lights are pretty dim. I was considering a stronger red top battery to resolve any lack of power. I idle at about 750 rpm.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by rule da road
I know this's been covered before, but what are ALL the benefits of an electrical grounding kit? Any drawbacks?
Taken from http://www.nissanperformancemag.com:

All electrical circuits consist of a source and a ground. The chassis is the ground for cars and all electrical circuits are tied to it. Engine performance relies on how well electronic components are connected. OEM systems are adequate for the job but use small gauge wiring which over time, tends to deteriorate. Grounding kits are meant to guarantee a clean ground to the battery and a better electrical circuit, letting sensors and electronics operate quicker and without as much resistance or noise. Much like when your speakers have interference and are static sounding, the culprit is usually a bad ground. Good grounds are important but are the kits worth the money? If you’re car or electrical experience still includes handholding, it’s an alternative to DIY but with a crimper and bigger gauge wires, you could reground the wires yourself. I recommend using 4 gauge, high audio grade 1666 strand count, 99.99% oxygen free copper wire for the best conductivity. It doesn’t need to be a shielded wire since it doesn’t carry a signal. Newer engines probably don’t need to be re-grounded as their connections have not likely deteriorated. The world rally championship cars use grounding kits and they typically have more advanced electronics where it is most important to have the least amount of impedance in the circuit for accurate and efficient sensoring.

Also see:

http://www.sportcompactonly.com/kid-...ing-cables.asp

http://www.tprmag.com/issue/8/8_elec_stab.shtml (good article)
Old 03-11-2005, 03:07 PM
Need A Light?

I do have a strong amp/stereo, angel eyes, and my dash lights are pretty dim. I was considering a stronger red top battery to resolve any lack of power. I idle at about 750 rpm.

I also swapped out my oem battery to an optima redtop...difference is night and day. my OEM, cold start-up would take approx 1.5 seconds...with the redtop, it starts up within .5 seconds....couldn't be any happier...my stereo is happier too
Old 03-11-2005, 03:13 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Taken from http://www.nissanperformancemag.com:

All electrical circuits consist of a source and a ground. The chassis is the ground for cars and all electrical circuits are tied to it. Engine performance relies on how well electronic components are connected. OEM systems are adequate for the job but use small gauge wiring which over time, tends to deteriorate. Grounding kits are meant to guarantee a clean ground to the battery and a better electrical circuit, letting sensors and electronics operate quicker and without as much resistance or noise. Much like when your speakers have interference and are static sounding, the culprit is usually a bad ground. Good grounds are important but are the kits worth the money? If you’re car or electrical experience still includes handholding, it’s an alternative to DIY but with a crimper and bigger gauge wires, you could reground the wires yourself. I recommend using 4 gauge, high audio grade 1666 strand count, 99.99% oxygen free copper wire for the best conductivity. It doesn’t need to be a shielded wire since it doesn’t carry a signal. Newer engines probably don’t need to be re-grounded as their connections have not likely deteriorated. The world rally championship cars use grounding kits and they typically have more advanced electronics where it is most important to have the least amount of impedance in the circuit for accurate and efficient sensoring.

Also see:

http://www.sportcompactonly.com/kid-...ing-cables.asp

http://www.tprmag.com/issue/8/8_elec_stab.shtml (good article)

sweet dude!!! now we have a good explination. i was tired of saying "well it um.....grounds the wires and...um....it just does soemthing that helps"
Old 03-11-2005, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by soonerfan
sweet dude!!! now we have a good explination. i was tired of saying "well it um.....grounds the wires and...um....it just does soemthing that helps"
Yeah I had to do some research to really learn about it....
Old 03-11-2005, 03:26 PM

Benefits: It allows you to spend money on some wires and connectors and makes your engine compartment look snazzy.

Drawbacks: It allows you to spand your money on some wires and connectors and makes you believe that your engine runs smoother.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:28 PM

I have a power point presentation that I can send you on How to install this kit, what to buy, how much it is, and all the tools you need. email me at aprilbouchard@hotmail.com or james.bouchard@wainwright.army.mil
The wire is SUPERIOR to what you will be recommended by audio/ car stereo installers. It is Welding wire and if you call your nearest electric shop they will tell you the same. Anyways......the powerpoint shows the wire and the name of it, how much you need, and where to get it. Total cost of the kit was $22.00

Let me know
JIM
Old 03-11-2005, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Zero Deuce SE
Benefits: It allows you to spend money on some wires and connectors and makes your engine compartment look snazzy.

Drawbacks: It allows you to spand your money on some wires and connectors and makes you believe that your engine runs smoother.

I would tend to agree with this statement. I would like to say I felt a difference but to be honest it made the compartment look nice and I "DID ANOTHER MOD" is what it boiled down too. But there are alot of explanations and reasons to do the kits so I did it.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:46 PM

Here come the grounding haters....
Old 03-11-2005, 03:59 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Here come the grounding haters....
the doubters!!! most people that say it doesnt work havent even done it

heres what it did for me -
quicker smoother start up
quicker throttle response
smoother shifts
windows rolled up quicker
headlights brighter

i didnt do it for the looks...i used black wires cause i wanted it to blend in better. you cant even tell its there unless you really look
Old 03-11-2005, 04:05 PM

smoother shifts
headlights brighter

i didnt do it for the looks...i used black wires cause i wanted it to blend in better. you cant even tell its there unless you really look
I wouldn't consider myself a "hater" regarding grounding kits. Since your car is 5 years old now, it probably gained something from a grounding kit. My car is just over 3 years old and still runs like it did the day I got it. I have a 10 year old KingCab that would probably benefit from a kit but I haven't decided if I want to install one yet.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:08 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by Zero Deuce SE
I wouldn't consider myself a "hater" regarding grounding kits. Since your car is 5 years old now, it probably gained something from a grounding kit. My car is just over 3 years old and still runs like it did the day I got it. I have a 10 year old KingCab that would probably benefit from a kit but I haven't decided if I want to install one yet.
why you calling my car old?

Old 03-11-2005, 07:41 PM

I searched HD as the "Home Depot" king requested but came up with nothing. Except shrink wrap.....yes just shrink wrap. There was no 6 guage grounding wire of multi strand, there was no 6 guage round connectors either. THEN AGAIN IM IN ALASKA!

So here is what i propose to everyone so they dont have to drive around like I did especially since it was -40 today!

Call the best electrical shop that sells parts and equipment.
I was able to get "arc welding wire" (orange), it says on it " Carol Super VU-TRON Welding Cable Extra flexible, 600volts, -50+ 90C temps, oil resistant, P-123-141" I got 24 feet of this for 11.50! WHAT A BUY

Then I went to NAPA where they had the least expensive Ring connectors in town for 50 cents each Part number NR614 (14 each 1/4 inch), and 1each 3/8 inch terminal connector.

I also bought shrink wrap from the electrical shop for 1.36 cents for 4 feet.
TOTAL COST OF EVERYTHING: $21.36 much cheaper by about 8.00 dollars over HOME DEPOT!
Old 03-11-2005, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by My_first_maxima
I searched HD as the "Home Depot" king requested but came up with nothing. Except shrink wrap.....yes just shrink wrap. There was no 6 guage grounding wire of multi strand, there was no 6 guage round connectors either. THEN AGAIN IM IN ALASKA!

So here is what i propose to everyone so they dont have to drive around like I did especially since it was -40 today!

Call the best electrical shop that sells parts and equipment.
I was able to get "arc welding wire" (orange), it says on it " Carol Super VU-TRON Welding Cable Extra flexible, 600volts, -50+ 90C temps, oil resistant, P-123-141" I got 24 feet of this for 11.50! WHAT A BUY

Then I went to NAPA where they had the least expensive Ring connectors in town for 50 cents each Part number NR614 (14 each 1/4 inch), and 1each 3/8 inch terminal connector.

I also bought shrink wrap from the electrical shop for 1.36 cents for 4 feet.
TOTAL COST OF EVERYTHING: $21.36 much cheaper by about 8.00 dollars over HOME DEPOT!
Can you post pics after you're done?
Old 03-11-2005, 07:52 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

This is the next mod I'm doing after the HID's.....
Old 03-11-2005, 08:19 PM

I have a power point presentation that I can send you on How to install this kit, what to buy, how much it is, and all the tools you need. email me at aprilbouchard@hotmail.com or james.bouchard@wainwright.army.mil
The wire is SUPERIOR to what you will be recommended by audio/ car stereo installers. It is Welding wire and if you call your nearest electric shop they will tell you the same. Anyways......the powerpoint shows the wire and the name of it, how much you need, and where to get it. Total cost of the kit was $22.00

Let me know
JIM
sent you email pal, i'd definately like to get that powerpoint from you.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:20 PM

I finished the Grounding kit several weeks ago. I would post pictures of the 20 page powerpoint presentation I did if I knew how?????? All I can off is to email me at aprilbouchard@hotmail.com and I will send you the presentation. The kit was made for my 03 MAX. I a dumb azz when it comes to makeing a car domain or getting things posted on the org, so just email me and I WILL send you the slides. Take care.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
sent you email pal, i'd definately like to get that powerpoint from you.
I am in the process of emailing you as we speak. Sorry the engine bay is dirty but you should get the picture on what to do and there is a list of tools, a list of what to buy and where the points are. Good luck.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:31 PM

I am in the process of emailing you as we speak. Sorry the engine bay is dirty but you should get the picture on what to do and there is a list of tools, a list of what to buy and where the points are. Good luck.
Thanks, if you give me your permission, i can post it up on my webbsite, and give the credit to you. let me know, and thanks
Old 03-11-2005, 10:45 PM

Yes, feel free to post it on your site. Anything to help other members and to add something to your site.
Old 03-12-2005, 06:04 AM
Helicopters! Money!!!

Originally Posted by steven88

I also swapped out my oem battery to an optima redtop...difference is night and day. my OEM, cold start-up would take approx 1.5 seconds...with the redtop, it starts up within .5 seconds....couldn't be any happier...my stereo is happier too
I have a couple of amps and subs and my car starts up in the cold in 1-2 cranks everytime and I still have the original OEM battery and live in Utah where the cold winters and hot summers are hell on batteries. The engine starts up on the first compression stroke almost everytime. I have 86k miles on my 2k Max now, it's pretty impressive that it still runs as if it were brand new. I use Amsoil 0w-30 which prolly helps quite a bit.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:51 AM
Need A Light?

my oem battery sucked for some reason....it died on me a few times and i had to call for a jump....i dunno maybe I was just messin around with my Navi+Stereo+accessories too much....whatever my optima made me real happy....i could mess around with anything on my car for 30 minutes....then start her up and it would turn over in like half a second....pretty sweet
Old 03-12-2005, 09:44 AM

I have had several people email me and ask for the power point presentation for the HOW TO on grounding kit install on my 03 MAX. Just remember when I email it too you, it will take 3-5 minutes because of the resolution. Enjoy all the pictures.
JIM
Old 03-12-2005, 01:05 PM

For those of you who have had problems starting, have you tried cleaning the area your engine and transmission mounts? I remember reading a tsb in another thread that the starter uses those points to ground.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:28 AM

with the groundwire,if you get the optima batt doesnt it hook right into the side of it..?
Old 05-13-2005, 09:57 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

E-mail sent, I'd love to see the PP.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:20 AM
JUVIN's ride

I have had several people email me and ask for the power point presentation for the HOW TO on grounding kit install on my 03 MAX. Just remember when I email it too you, it will take 3-5 minutes because of the resolution. Enjoy all the pictures.
JIM

sent you an email for the pics. thanks
Old 06-07-2005, 12:01 PM

smoother shifts
headlights brighter

No doubter here.... I installed a Nismo kit I got of E-bay for 30 bucks and have noticed improvement in the same items. I'll have pics soon.

Zero Duece SE..... go backtrack where the wire from your negative battery terminal ends at.... you might be suprised, I sure was. Bringing all the various grounding points around the engine bay to one main point has made a noticeable improvement to my engines functions and it looks good to boot.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:55 PM

Did anyone ever get the PP upload to their website?
Old 10-19-2005, 03:42 PM
But why is teh Rum gone?

Originally Posted by kcowden
No doubter here.... I installed a Nismo kit I got of E-bay for 30 bucks and have noticed improvement in the same items. I'll have pics soon.

Zero Duece SE..... go backtrack where the wire from your negative battery terminal ends at.... you might be suprised, I sure was. Bringing all the various grounding points around the engine bay to one main point has made a noticeable improvement to my engines functions and it looks good to boot.
Dont suppose you have pictures of all those grounding points do you? I just got my hands on an SCO grounding kit, 5 wires in all. Need to know where they go

Do I need bolts/screws too?
Old 10-19-2005, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by rbrown81
Dont suppose you have pictures of all those grounding points do you? I just got my hands on an SCO grounding kit, 5 wires in all. Need to know where they go

Do I need bolts/screws too?

I have pics of my grounding points near the bottom of my cardomain page if you want to check it out. I'm sure the points are pretty much the same.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/376468

Good Luck. It definitely made the rpm band and shifts smoother and the idle more solid. My kit came with bolts and screws that I needed.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:10 PM
Driving is the next best thing

Will grounding kit decrease the chances of electrical problems?
Old 10-19-2005, 05:37 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

1st- How in the world do you come to these conclusions?

2nd- damn, who keeps digging up the old threads?
Old 10-19-2005, 06:37 PM
But why is teh Rum gone?

Well I dug it up instead of starting a new one... Thought I would save some space on the forums

Anyway, thanks Kruppa for the response.

There seems to be 2 schools of thought on the grounding kit wire locations. I have seen some that ground certain points to eachother, and I have seen grounding kits that run all points back to the negative battery terminal.

Which is the better to do? I was looking for info on the neg battery terminal one.

Old 10-19-2005, 06:46 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

I made my own a few years ago, and I have installed them on many different gens since. I basically doubled up on all the pre-existing grounds, as well as adding an alternator ground, two headlight grounds, and 2 intake manifold grounds. Kits I made for the VQ included 6 wires total.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:35 PM

I manufacture Wire and Cable for Robotics for a living, i made my own kit using my wire and found that most cables that are 8awg or close work just about the same.