5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Experiencing Start Probs.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2001, 06:27 PM

Hi everyone,

I am new to this board, but am in need of assistance as I have experienced starting issues with my 2001 Maxima SE. The car has almost 1,500 miles on it, and every so often, it seems as if the car does not start as smoothly as I believe it should. On a few occasions, after turning the key, it does not fire up instantly, but there seems to be a hesitation or delay of one or two seconds. Although this doesn't seem like that long, the fact is, a new car should not give this kind of weak starting impression, let alone a Nissan. I've been trying to justify it by telling myself it is not fully broken in, but my old 1994 ford probe gt that I adored, but sold for my new beauty, started a lot smoother than this max, and it had 70,000 miles on the clock. I love my max, but am beginning to think there is something wrong with it when it feels like it has no power to fire up when the key is turned in the ignition. **What is even more puzzling, is that right in the manual, Nissan mentions that if this occurs, to step on the gas pedal.** This makes no sense to me, as a car and engine that is otherwise so technologically advanced, needs to be pumped like my old 1980 mustang had to be. If anyone else is experiencing this, I sure would like to know if this really is normal, as this is my first nissan, and of which I otherwise think is one mean machine and enjoy every aspect of it..
Old 05-07-2001, 06:33 PM

Originally posted by JLauric
Hi everyone,

I am new to this board, but am in need of assistance as I have experienced starting issues with my 2001 Maxima SE. The car has almost 1,500 miles on it, and every so often, it seems as if the car does not start as smoothly as I believe it should. On a few occasions, after turning the key, it does not fire up instantly, but there seems to be a hesitation or delay of one or two seconds. Although this doesn't seem like that long, the fact is, a new car should not give this kind of weak starting impression, let alone a Nissan. I've been trying to justify it by telling myself it is not fully broken in, but my old 1994 ford probe gt that I adored, but sold for my new beauty, started a lot smoother than this max, and it had 70,000 miles on the clock. I love my max, but am beginning to think there is something wrong with it when it feels like it has no power to fire up when the key is turned in the ignition. **What is even more puzzling, is that right in the manual, Nissan mentions that if this occurs, to step on the gas pedal.** This makes no sense to me, as a car and engine that is otherwise so technologically advanced, needs to be pumped like my old 1980 mustang had to be. If anyone else is experiencing this, I sure would like to know if this really is normal, as this is my first nissan, and of which I otherwise think is one mean machine and enjoy every aspect of it..
are u using the proper octane???
Old 05-07-2001, 06:40 PM
Got Bent?

before actually cranking the starter, leave the key in the on position for a few seconds. This allows the fuel pump to pressurize fully. Then start it and see if it still hesitates or stumbles.
Old 05-07-2001, 06:41 PM

Start hesitation

I am using mobil highest octane(either 92 or93) and have been using from day 1
Old 05-07-2001, 06:45 PM

This has been documented...

Do what UMD_MaxSE suggest. I've been doing it since I encountered the problem and got some help here...and it has started every time...so far.

Good luck!

Green
Old 05-07-2001, 06:58 PM

Thanks for the help, I will give it a try. I was hoping that it was something that I was doing wrong, or perhaps neglecting to do that was causing the problem, and not so much a problem with the car, as I would hate to have it opened up for something so little, but yet bothersome. I'll keep you all informed.
Old 05-07-2001, 07:40 PM

i remember this used to happen to me, and once my breaks like completely locked. anyone know why that could have happend?
Old 05-07-2001, 08:51 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

actually..

many of us had this problem.. it clears up at about 4000-6000 miles... almost completely. If its happening more then once every week or so, then you may have a fouled plug or bad coil. There have been a few cases of this... again, if its sporadic tho, we have all had this.