5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Does anyone else notice the odor left on your hands after driving?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2001, 01:43 AM

My hands always smell like gas after gripping the steering wheel for awhile. My understanding is that the SE models have a different rubber-type steering wheel than the other two models. If this is so, then are you other SE drivers experiencing the odor left on your hands. I have to wash the hands or else it starts affecting my eyes!

And no, it's not because "maybe you were pumping gas".
Old 05-08-2001, 04:52 AM
Got Bent?

The SE has a leather wrapped steering wheel....could that be it....I never noticed any funny smell from my hands
Old 05-08-2001, 04:56 AM

eeeewww!!

What were you doing in the car?!? hehe j/k

I think maybe you're getting that smell because whoever drove your car and pumped the gas might have had some spilled on his or her hand...it might have soaked into the leather...only speculation. How new is the car? Did you notice this from day one?

Green
Old 05-08-2001, 06:48 AM

Here in NY, I mainly pump my own gas. I noticed right after I got my car that I did have a gas smell on the steering wheel which also was on my hands after driving.. It took a long time before I got rid of it (many cleanings with Lexol leather cleaner). I finally got rid of it. Now, I use the provided paper towels at the station to grab the pump nozzle and open my gas cap, and basically I do not touch anything with my bare hands.

This weekend I had to clean up a gas spill because the moron at the full service station spilled gas ALL OVER the side of the car, and this was BEFORE he even started pumping! I'm standing right there and he does it right in front of me!! He deserved a good beating for that, at the very least. Now, after I was done cleaning up the spill, of course I got that smell back on my hands, and back in the car. AAAAARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!
Old 05-08-2001, 07:12 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

No gas smell from my steering wheel or hands. Maybe someone spilled gas on their hands and touched your steering wheel right away.
Old 05-08-2001, 07:20 AM

Just clean your steering wheel regularly and you won't have any kind of odors
Old 05-08-2001, 07:33 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

I know exactly what you are talking about...

My max doesnt have this, but our pathfinder does (LE w/leather). I've lexol-ed the hell out of it without much change. We pump our own gas but I use a paper towel between my hand and pump (as does my wife). We always have. I dont know if its the leather, or the dealer did it. I suspect the dealer did it when fueling it the first time bastards..
Old 05-08-2001, 02:58 PM

I have an SE... I always thought all max's had the same steering wheel wrap.. (mine looks like leather, although I am not certain it is real leater)... anywayz, no smell here...

-Tom Z.

-PS.. all NJ gas stations are full serve (by law, i think), so i never pump my own gas... the paper towel thing is a good idea, though.. i'll have to keep that in mind when traveling out of state...
Old 05-08-2001, 06:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Whoa....

Originally posted by RMcoolX
My hands always smell like gas after gripping the steering wheel for awhile. My understanding is that the SE models have a different rubber-type steering wheel than the other two models. If this is so, then are you other SE drivers experiencing the odor left on your hands. I have to wash the hands or else it starts affecting my eyes!

And no, it's not because "maybe you were pumping gas".
If this isn't the strangest thread I've ever seen, I don't know what is. Sorry, no can do here. After a good clean with Lexol, I notice a slippery feel to the wheel that a day sitting in the sun fixes, but no smell on my left hand.

FYI...My lady (can't say old lady yet, or she'll kick my butt) has the same rims on her baby. Although I, personally, don't like polished rims on my vehicles...they look nice on your Max. Ooooooooooooo....purty.
Old 05-08-2001, 06:41 PM

Re: Whoa....

Originally posted by Michael98033

If this isn't the strangest thread I've ever seen, I don't know what is. Sorry, no can do here. After a good clean with Lexol, I notice a slippery feel to the wheel that a day sitting in the sun fixes, but no smell on my left hand.

FYI...My lady (can't say old lady yet, or she'll kick my butt) has the same rims on her baby. Although I, personally, don't like polished rims on my vehicles...they look nice on your Max. Ooooooooooooo....purty.
Thanks for the compliment, but I don't see why you think my post is strange. I asked my wife has she noticed the smell on her hands and she said yes, but she didn't feel like it smelled like gas. Whatever it is, it is affecting my very sensitive eyes.