5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

question about the sidemarker rewire

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 07:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

question about the sidemarker rewire

i was just reading the couple of write ups from Mingo, and basically what i figured out from those was that you cut the black wire (ground) and connect the sidemarker to the green signal wire in the front and rear. i can handle that. but my question is, after this mod, do the sidemarkers ONLY light up when signaling, or do they still light up all the time, and then blink when signaling? i WANT them to only light up when signaling, i just dont want to go thru all this and its not what i want. thanks guys.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:20 PM

From my understandings the only time they should light up are:

a) turn signal is activated
b) hazards are on
c) arming/disarming alarm
Old 04-10-2005, 09:41 PM

website for sidemarker re-wire, the one on the how to's seems not to me working on my computer, whats the direct link.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:21 AM

go to this link

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....285#post248285 for the basic information, and then this cardomain page for pics and writeups, although the writeups are kinda confusing the way they are worded and set up

http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...=227798&page=5

im pretty sure all we do is cut the black (ground wire), and then connect the black wire from the sidemarker to the green signal light wire. sounds simple.

and as long as what ohohmax is sayin is the correct info, which i assume, cuz its hooked into the turn signals wire, so anytime that lights, this lights now. and the turn signal is only on when you hit it (obviously).
Old 04-11-2005, 07:47 AM

You know I was thinking of that the other day too. I want to wire my front side markers to come on with the turn signals, but I would still want them to light up at night. It sort of like this during the daytime they would come on whenever you use the turn signals and during the night they would light up when the lights are on and blink on/off whenever you use the turn signals.

I was thinking about getting the mirror covers with the turn signals in them from Paradox, but I cant justify spending $125 on just covers, then you have to paint them to match the car, then wire everything up. Although this would look sweet I am going with the side marker rewire.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Redstone
You know I was thinking of that the other day too. I want to wire my front side markers to come on with the turn signals, but I would still want them to light up at night. It sort of like this during the daytime they would come on whenever you use the turn signals and during the night they would light up when the lights are on and blink on/off whenever you use the turn signals.

I was thinking about getting the mirror covers with the turn signals in them from Paradox, but I cant justify spending $125 on just covers, then you have to paint them to match the car, then wire everything up. Although this would look sweet I am going with the side marker rewire.
They will come on with the parking lights (whenever turned on) blink with the turn signal (with lights off they will blink in unison wth the turn signals, with the lights on they will blink off time from the turn signals)
Old 04-11-2005, 10:23 AM

kcowden, are you saying when you do the rewire from the How-Tos, that the side markers will still be on ALL the time, when your lights are on, and then just blink when you signal? cuz the signal lights are only on when you signal (unlike parking/signal light combos), so i assumed splicing into that wire would do the same thing.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by KCMC582
kcowden, are you saying when you do the rewire from the How-Tos, that the side markers will still be on ALL the time, when your lights are on, and then just blink when you signal? cuz the signal lights are only on when you signal (unlike parking/signal light combos), so i assumed splicing into that wire would do the same thing.
Yes. I wouldn't splice into any wire that isn't described in the how-to. I followed the directions and have had no problem at all for over a year.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:46 AM

damn. i wanted them to be off all the time til i signaled
Old 04-11-2005, 10:56 AM

they only time the side markers come on without the parking light or headlight being on is when you signal or flash your hazards.. but at night they stay on as if it was still stock. and the side markers blink when you hit the hazards or signals. it looks cool at night because the sidemarkers alternate with the turn signal
Old 04-11-2005, 11:00 AM

I've done it and love it. To re-iterate: the side markers will be on when the parking lights are on and will blink off pattern with the turn signal. They will blink in unison with the turn signals when all lights are off.

If someone could come up with a cheap and easy way to add markers to the side view mirrors I would snap that up quick.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:04 AM

dammit. so is there any way to get these things to come on ONLY when we signal? yes, i know its gonna be illgal, but that doesnt bother me, id rather them NOT see the white lights.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by KCMC582
dammit. so is there any way to get these things to come on ONLY when we signal? yes, i know its gonna be illgal, but that doesnt bother me, id rather them NOT see the white lights.
Not sure about that.... that mod has been around for a while and I haven't heard that particular configuration. Doesn't mean that you can't be the first to do so.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Redstone
I thought that is what happened, they lit up when you turned on the lights (just like normal) but they also blink when the signals blink. According to mingo: "during the day time the side markers will blink at the same time as your blinkers. and will remain off. during the night time. it'll stay on with your headlights. and it'll blink alternately with your signals."
I think the periods after blinkers and night time are supposed to be commas.
I hope that's how it works.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:05 PM

Doesn't the alternate blinking of the signal and marker look tacky at night when the headlights are on?
Old 04-11-2005, 05:19 PM

yah... to make it only come on when you use your turn signals you have to change the power source. so now you have to cut both wires, and run one wire from one of the leads on the turn signal bulb to the side marker and the other lead wire to the other side of the side marker. make sure you cap off the hot wire that originally went into the side marker. i wouldn't do it though.
Old 04-17-2005, 01:00 PM
jjj

cool blue blinking
Old 04-19-2005, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by mingo
yah... to make it only come on when you use your turn signals you have to change the power source. so now you have to cut both wires, and run one wire from one of the leads on the turn signal bulb to the side marker and the other lead wire to the other side of the side marker. make sure you cap off the hot wire that originally went into the side marker. i wouldn't do it though.
this i dont mind doing. so basically could i just snip both wires, and rerun them to a connector that splices right into the signal light wires? i have no problem with that at all