5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Brakes.......

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005 | 06:28 PM

Brakes.......

Well i believe its about that time that i need some work done for my brakes...
it seems that the rotors are warped because there is alot of vibration when they are applied at high speeds... i want to say that i also need pads but thats yet to be determined...
Question is, what route should i go?
A. Go to the dealership and have the job done there
B. Pepboys or firestone
C. Buy the pads and rotors that i want and find a local mechanic willing to put them on?

Also, should i just have the Rotors cut and call it a day or is it to my best interest to upgrade teh pads and rotors with aftermarket ones? and if i decide on getting aftermarket, what combo would be the most effective for my bucks? i understand brembo would most likely be the way to go

As much as i'd like to get my hands dirty, i don't have any kind of mechanical ability and i'd rather not learn how to work on cars starting with my brakes...
Old 04-14-2005 | 06:34 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

get powerslots and hawk pads and do it yourself.... really easy to do... save some money in the process.
Old 04-14-2005 | 06:38 PM
XGaSpAcHo

i've heard good things about hawk pads. no clue where to get them though.
Old 04-14-2005 | 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Lontar1
get powerslots and hawk pads and do it yourself.... really easy to do... save some money in the process.
and it probably is, but i just don't feel comfortable especially when messing with brakes
Old 04-14-2005 | 06:47 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

Originally Posted by XGaSpAcHo
i've heard good things about hawk pads. no clue where to get them though.
Do a search and www.tirerack.com.... after you see which one you want search for better price, that's what I did.......

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/resul...perf&x=39&y=12

did the search for you...
Old 04-14-2005 | 07:39 PM

I would buy rotors and pads, and have a mechanic do it, or do it yourself. I picked up Raceconcepts rotors for $186 shipped to RI, all four discs that crossdrilled and slotted, and silver zinc plated. They are the same exact size as OEM so no fit problems. From what I hear these rotors are better then stock, so I'm just happy with that. I got mine in the mail this week, by Saturday I'll have them in with Hawk composite pads. Rotors look real nice, they are gonna look nicer when my rims are back on. My buddy is putting them in Saturday. Maybe I can give more feedback then.
Old 04-14-2005 | 07:42 PM

lemme know how those work out for you. is your buddy a mechanic because if you recommend him then i'd gladly give him my business...
Old 04-14-2005 | 07:59 PM

My buddy works for an auto upholstery place in Pawtucket. He's kind of one of those know how to do everything type of guys. He doesn't get into the motor, but he's doing over my whole suspension with eibach and tokico blues,my brakes, and getting my rims back on. He's doing me a favor. As soon as I get everything in I'll let you know. Maybe I cann get some pictures going on this forum.
Old 04-14-2005 | 08:15 PM
Banned

You should measure the rotors and see if they are within spec. If they are, just have them resurfaced and replace the pads so you can save your money now and then upgrade to better rotors when it's necessary to replace them.
Old 04-14-2005 | 08:15 PM
XGaSpAcHo

Originally Posted by Lontar1
Do a search and www.tirerack.com.... after you see which one you want search for better price, that's what I did.......

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/resul...perf&x=39&y=12

did the search for you...
those look sweet. i'll probably pick those up and have them put on along with my new tires and i'll paint my calipers silver at the same time. just one question. what rotors you recommend? i'm talking about type (blank/slotted/cross drilled/slotted & cross drilled) and manufacturer. also, is it worth getting better rotors/pads for the rear?
Old 04-15-2005 | 04:18 AM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

Originally Posted by XGaSpAcHo
those look sweet. i'll probably pick those up and have them put on along with my new tires and i'll paint my calipers silver at the same time. just one question. what rotors you recommend? i'm talking about type (blank/slotted/cross drilled/slotted & cross drilled) and manufacturer. also, is it worth getting better rotors/pads for the rear?
I have slotted ones... so I will be biased on that... but create a thread and see opinions from other people....