5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Small Scent of gas inside the car.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 07:14 PM

Small Scent of gas inside the car.

Every once in a while, my car when im sitting inside of it driving along i will get the smell of gas. Its not very potent but i can notice it. I have checked and there are no leaks and i dont understand why i would be smelling it inside. It might be in the carpet or something but i jsut cleaned them all. Anybody have any suggestions that could help me out in this case. Im kind of concerned but not all that worried because my gas gauge is steady and the mileage is not bad at all. What do you think??
Old 04-26-2005, 07:20 PM
F---ing Kangaroos

Originally Posted by NismoMaxm
Every once in a while, my car when im sitting inside of it driving along i will get the smell of gas. Its not very potent but i can notice it. I have checked and there are no leaks and i dont understand why i would be smelling it inside. It might be in the carpet or something but i jsut cleaned them all. Anybody have any suggestions that could help me out in this case. Im kind of concerned but not all that worried because my gas gauge is steady and the mileage is not bad at all. What do you think??
Stop farting in your car.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:24 PM

dude i was being serious. I mean Premium, unleaded 93 octane hahaha. Understand now?? and that crap is expensive, 239. thats such a bad price anyways back to the problem. PLease help me out. I usually dont smell it while driving but after i park it and shut the windows up. Like when i got home from karate tonight to my house and shut the car off and went back out to it afterwards it smelt. But when i was driving it before it didnt, also when it was parked at a friends i didnt smell it either. Wierd? HELP!
Old 04-26-2005, 08:39 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

dude i was being serious. I mean Premium, unleaded 93 octane hahaha. Understand now?? and that crap is expensive, 239. thats such a bad price anyways back to the problem. PLease help me out. I usually dont smell it while driving but after i park it and shut the windows up. Like when i got home from karate tonight to my house and shut the car off and went back out to it afterwards it smelt. But when i was driving it before it didnt, also when it was parked at a friends i didnt smell it either. Wierd? HELP!
hey dude check the fuel sending unit o-ring--what ya do is remove ur back seat and there should be a plate on the left side--remove the plate--i just use a flat head screwdriver cuz sometimes a phillips will strip the plastic clips on the plate. once you turn the clips the u have to disconnect the wire connectors for the sending unit. once you have done that check around the the top of the sending unit for any signs of moisture--if there is the o-ring needs to be replaced--but usually if there is a leak there the check eng lite will come on for a small evap leak. I have seen it only once for a maxima 2k2--and the only thing about replacing that o-ring is the special tool we use to take the plastic holder off. i do not know what else could be used--b/c i will only use the right tool for the job
Old 04-27-2005, 03:53 AM

Ok thank you very much bro. I will check that today when i get outta school. Hopefully its just nuthin, but we will see.Thannks again.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Stardust
He's gonna karate your ***!

-piga
Old 04-27-2005, 04:20 AM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

Originally Posted by Stardust
That is funny.. very funny...

Also check the trunk gasket....
Old 04-27-2005, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by piglit
He's gonna karate your ***!

-piga

.... Worst ....joke.... ever.....
Old 04-27-2005, 12:50 PM

ok the trunk gasket??where is that, i have narrowed the fact down to that it is coming from the rear. If i step out of the car and look under it by the rear axel i can smell it but not wicked strong just smell it. I have looked everywhere and cannot find a leak. If im inside the car i can smell it from under the left side rear bench seat. Is that anywhere near the gasket or whatever??
Old 04-27-2005, 01:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Could it be a spot that may be rusting through?
Old 04-27-2005, 02:10 PM

I haven't been able to find any spots like that, i do know its coming from the rear and smells under the left side of the bench rear seat. It could be injectors??fuel pump??small cut in the fuel lines?? im really out of things to think of. Im going to check all the spots people have said to check but its really stressing me out because i really like my cars to be perfect and this is the only thing that is reall ybothering me right now. I just want to find the spot where it is. But like i said it doesn't smell all the time. Mostly when i romp on it, over rev by accident, stall and or don't get the right mix between my gas and clutch ratio. Since the car is brand new to me im still learning on the clutch. that help and give anymore ideas??
Old 04-27-2005, 03:41 PM

I thought of two other possibilities. A clogged fuel filter or a bad fuel pump. Both of which are located in the rear of my car and may be causing the smell. My buddy had a similar problem with his cavalier and it smelt like that in the back aswell. turned out to be a bad fuel pump. My friends dads jeepster has that smell alos and he thinks it could be the fuel filter? Logical??
Old 04-27-2005, 06:25 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

ok the trunk gasket??where is that, i have narrowed the fact down to that it is coming from the rear. If i step out of the car and look under it by the rear axel i can smell it but not wicked strong just smell it. I have looked everywhere and cannot find a leak. If im inside the car i can smell it from under the left side rear bench seat. Is that anywhere near the gasket or whatever??
I meant weatherstipping.....
Old 04-27-2005, 07:01 PM

I haven't been able to find any spots like that, i do know its coming from the rear and smells under the left side of the bench rear seat. It could be injectors??fuel pump??small cut in the fuel lines?? im really out of things to think of. Im going to check all the spots people have said to check but its really stressing me out because i really like my cars to be perfect and this is the only thing that is reall ybothering me right now. I just want to find the spot where it is. But like i said it doesn't smell all the time. Mostly when i romp on it, over rev by accident, stall and or don't get the right mix between my gas and clutch ratio. Since the car is brand new to me im still learning on the clutch. that help and give anymore ideas??
i dont know what gasket ur talkin about dude. but if u smell it in the left rear inside of the car its the fuel sending unit--o-ring. do like I said b4 about lifting the rear seat out
Old 04-27-2005, 09:19 PM

Forget about checking your trunk seal or seal at the fuel pump.... I'm 100% sure that isn't it. Hopefully you don't have any EVAP problems. Change your fuel filter if you're 60K plus miles and if you're able..... check fuel pressure with a guage and get back to us.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:23 PM
Mauja He Mauja

evaporator canister
Old 04-28-2005, 03:42 AM

ok will do. Today, since its going to be nice i can access all these things. Thanks guys ill get back to you.
Old 04-30-2005, 12:57 PM

I FIXED IT!! it was the O-Ring around the fuel sensor unit. It was broken in half so i replaced it this morning and now its all fixed. Thank you for all yuour input. Im soo ha[ppy not to be getting high while im driving anymore!
Old 04-30-2005, 09:16 PM

[QUOTE=NismoMaxm]I FIXED IT!! it was the O-Ring around the fuel sensor unit. It was broken in half so i replaced it this morning and now its all fixed. Thank you for all yuour input. Im soo ha[ppy not to be getting high while im driving anymore!

it is always nice to get high while driving--just not on gas--glad u finally found the sending unit--told u thats what it was