5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Bluetooth install COMPLETE w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 07:00 AM
MaximaFreak

I got this question via PM, I wanted to post it and the answer here in case it benefits someone in the future.

Originally Posted by maxspeedse02
Hey I just saw your post about the bluetooth setup, very nice install btw. I have an 02 max and a motorola razr with bluetooth, I've been wanting to do this since I got the car. One question that I have for you is, I have an aftermarket headunit with rca inputs on the back of it. Would I be able to integrate this with the speakers like your factory set up is? From the sounds of it I would be able to just plug the parrot unit into that but I don't know much about it. Thanks
Here's the facts: the Parrot unit has 2 bare wires coming out of it that say "line out +" and "line out -". It also has an audio interrupt wire. The combination of those two is one way to get it to work.

The other way is splicing and soldering in between the existing wiring which is much more tedious, but is fool proof if you are NOT running external amplifiers and just using the headunit's power. It's a lot of cutting and soldering, but it will get the job done.

Here's how I think I'm going to do it once I get my entire system installed. The system will consist of 2 amps, 1 external xover and various speakers. I will only have one set of RCA's coming from the headunit and interface them with the external x-over. At that interface point, I will have 3 Y connectors. I will terminate those bare wires coming out of the Parrot unit with a single, mono RCA end. I will have an RCA Y adapter on both the R and L inputs of the xover. The L&R outputs from the headunit will go into their cooresponding side. I will have a 3rd Y adapter to breakout the single, mono input of the Parrot to mimic being stereo and plug both of those ends into the same input on the xover. Yes, you are thinking correctly ... this would create an overlayed input. Both the Parrot and the Headunit are interfacing with the x-over and the amplifiers at the same point and through the same exact input.

Then all I will do is hook up that audio interrupt to the headunit and when a call comes in, the headunit will mute the radio, but cannot mute the Parrot. If you use an AUX input to achieve these results, the AUX input will not automatically switch once it's active on every unit I saw. There may be one out there, but I never found it. In the case of an AUX input, your stereo would mute when a call came in (thanks to the audio interrupt), but you would have to manually switch to the AUX input on your headunit to answer the phone. Not really as seamless.

Anyway, I know words are harder to understand than pictures ... once I get mine all done, I will post some pics here and post my success/failure.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Big Ham - It's been a while since you last posted, but this is the easiest way to install the Parrot kit in a Maxima 1995-2006.

Plug and Play Harness

I installed the new 3200LS Color Parrot with this interface device and it is nicer than the factory 2006 setup. There is not a single wire to cut or attach - plug and play for Nissan Bose (only) systems...

If anyone is not familiar with the Parrot kits - see This Link
Old 03-08-2006, 02:09 PM
Thinks he is fast

This is a great idea but for some reason the pictures didn't load for me? I have broadband and I waited a few mins. Could you send me some pics to redison@cfl.rr.com. I'm guess that you are using factory speakers because you mentioned something about the factory headunit. I'm guessing I could always tap into my speakers at the amp or something, I have aftermarket speakers all around and they are amped. Anyone have experience with this using aftermarket speakers like me? Thoughts? Thanks
Old 03-08-2006, 09:30 PM

I have the CK3000 and it's been really easy to use. Installation wasn't bad with an aftermarket headunit. The only thing that's really annoying is that people can't seem to understand me when I talk, the voice recognition is also horrible, can't understand my commands half of the time. I think it might be because of the mic postion, I can post a pic my setup if anyone wants to see it.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:11 PM

Sure, post your mic position. Keep your caller volume down so that it doesn't feedback into your mic. I don't know if the 3000 has a setting for mic volume like the 3100 and 3200, but keep the mic turned down as well so that it is less sensitive to pic up feedback. The best place for the mic is to the right of the driver's sunvisor - pointing toward your mouth. Call your answering machine and listen to yourself at various settings. My 3200 audio is crystal clear in both directions.
Old 03-12-2006, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Plasman
Sure, post your mic position. Keep your caller volume down so that it doesn't feedback into your mic. I don't know if the 3000 has a setting for mic volume like the 3100 and 3200, but keep the mic turned down as well so that it is less sensitive to pic up feedback. The best place for the mic is to the right of the driver's sunvisor - pointing toward your mouth. Call your answering machine and listen to yourself at various settings. My 3200 audio is crystal clear in both directions.

There is a **** where I can adjust the speaker volume, no controls for mic volume. My bluetooth box is right next to my cupholder inside the center console.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:10 AM

i was curious to know if the 6th gen steering wheel would fit/plug in a 5th gen so we could use the factory bluetooth controls on the steering wheels instead of having a random button laying around the car... any thoughts on this? I figure you could fine the bluetooth wiring from the steering wheel to the radio and tap into that instead of using the buttons that come with the bluetooth module...

Thanks
Old 03-22-2006, 12:57 PM

That's a sweet mod, I am going to try this when i get some spare cash.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:10 PM

You can't retrofit the factory bluetooth unit with the 2005 and prior vehicle. But the Parrot 3200 Color with Photo Caller ID runs rings around factory bluetooth. Here is a picture in an Infiniti
Old 03-23-2006, 12:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

What is the cost on something like that? if you dont mind me asking.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:10 AM

The Parrot Bluetooth units are about $75-$200 depending on model: 3000 has no screen, 3100 has 2 line lcd and 3200 is in full color - see http://www.parrot.biz

As for our Maximas, if you want a no-cut install solution, see http://members.***.net/quickconnect - this makes install a 1 hour job and the sound comes out of your speakers for a surround sound effect. I don't know if you've seen the Acura comemrcials, but you talk to your Parrot - "Call Fred" or "Call 555-1212" - it is amazing technology. When you receive a call, the radio automatically mutes and the unit says "Call from Fred" or Caller ID info comes up on the screen. The color unit has Caller Photo ID if your bluetooth cellphone supports it.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:06 AM

I just noticed that Alpine offers bluetooth compatability on some of their head units. But you have to purchase a separate bluetooth kit for the radio (for $200). I haven't seen one in action but I think their kit integrates the phone into the radio display and caller ID is displayed on the radio. (at least thats what they claimed at Circuit City)

Anyone seen one of these in operation yet?
Old 04-12-2006, 08:31 PM
I'm a Happy Man!

i was thinking about doing the same thing but pioneer just came out with a new system called the z1 which is a double din 7in screen with bluetooth built in thats what i'm having installed in about two weeks