5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Warranty Void

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 10:59 PM

Warranty Void

I tried calling Nissan on this but they say "they can't tell me"... BS... If i buy headers will that void my 60K powertain warranty.. I dont see why it will but you never know.. Thannks Ahead of time everyone..
Old 05-13-2005, 05:17 AM
drag racing is for wussies

If you can't afford to fix your car, don't buy performance parts for it.
Old 05-13-2005, 06:46 AM

It will because its grounds for Nissan to save money. Voiding your warranty will do just that. Give them a reason, and go to a dealer deep in the pocket of Nissan and that will happen. Find a good Nissan mech and you'll be ok.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:07 AM
Maxima Pilot

The answer is 'depends what breaks'

The Moss-Magnusson act clearly says that for warranty to be denied, it must be 'proven' that the modification, aftermarket part, etc 'caused' the failure.

So......you install headers and six months later the tranny goes, or an axle goes, or something like that in the drivetrain......the dealer -and Nissan- can say that indeed, it the failure was caused by a combination of the (likely) harder driving and the increased power resulting from the header installation.

Now, say that the water pump fails, or a cam tensioner fails, or some other part of the mechanicals not in any affected directly nor indirectly by the headers, then Nissan cannot use the 'u have headers therefore the warranty is void' excuse -because the &&^$%% water pump has NOTHING to do with the ))(**^% headers.

So, with this mod, you do indeed run the risk of having some kind of warranty work legally denied.....your risk, your decision.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:16 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Galo
The answer is 'depends what breaks'

The Moss-Magnusson act clearly says that for warranty to be denied, it must be 'proven' that the modification, aftermarket part, etc 'caused' the failure.

So......you install headers and six months later the tranny goes, or an axle goes, or something like that in the drivetrain......the dealer -and Nissan- can say that indeed, it the failure was caused by a combination of the (likely) harder driving and the increased power resulting from the header installation.

Now, say that the water pump fails, or a cam tensioner fails, or some other part of the mechanicals not in any affected directly nor indirectly by the headers, then Nissan cannot use the 'u have headers therefore the warranty is void' excuse -because the &&^$%% water pump has NOTHING to do with the ))(**^% headers.

So, with this mod, you do indeed run the risk of having some kind of warranty work legally denied.....your risk, your decision.

very true, however, they can always find a way to connect them... my brother is a mechanic at a stealership and it is his job to connect stuff like that, and the stealership and Nissan ALWAYS win.

as Blackbird said, if you cannot afford to fix your car, dont mod it.

or do what I do, get an aftermarket warranty so i can bring my car ANYWHERE (so i go to my brother) and they never know I have performance parts on my car.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:20 AM
Maxima Pilot

Originally Posted by upstatemax
very true, however, they can always find a way to connect them... my brother is a mechanic at a stealership and it is his job to connect stuff like that, and the stealership and Nissan ALWAYS win.
Well, that's why I used the example about the water pump...any dealer who associates a water pump with a set of headers will lose hands-down in any legal battle or arbitration....
Old 05-13-2005, 08:35 AM

Well, that's why I used the example about the water pump...any dealer who associates a water pump with a set of headers will lose hands-down in any legal battle or arbitration....

i dare you to try. they are going to believe the dealership and nissan (the car experts) over you anyday. if they say they are connected that somehow the headers could have caused it to fail, they will win.

I do agree with you logically, they are not connected and they SHOULD pay for it, but they will not.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:37 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

They might lose that legal battle, but the question is whether or not it's worth your time and money to even fight that battle.

They know it's not, so they know they will win.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:40 AM
Maxima Pilot

i dare you to try.
Nope....I'm not going there...I'm saving my $$$ for other things besides more mods....
Old 05-13-2005, 08:50 AM

Nope....I'm not going there...I'm saving my $$$ for other things besides more mods....

lol thats your best bet...

if you can find a good dealership for your car, these things can be "overlooked" at a cost. going back to my brother, he works for Mitsubishi, you should see all the crap these moron 18 year olds are doing to the Evo's. as an example one idiot, simply stuffed some crap into his wastegate so it would not dump and went out racing

needless to say he blew his motor skyhigh, they read off the computer that it was pushing 43lbs of boost when it blew. obviously Mitsu would never cover this and he was looking at about a $3,000 bill to fix his car.

However, because Bill (my bros boss) is cool, he cut the kid a break and "overlooked" the plugged wastegate, at the tune of $500 in his pocket.

it saved the kid $2,500 and Bill picked up $500 and he went to my Bro and said "you never saw this wastegate ok". then it was covered under the warranty, they claimed it "malfunctioned" and was stuck closed.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:38 AM

lol thats your best bet...

if you can find a good dealership for your car, these things can be "overlooked" at a cost. going back to my brother, he works for Mitsubishi, you should see all the crap these moron 18 year olds are doing to the Evo's. as an example one idiot, simply stuffed some crap into his wastegate so it would not dump and went out racing

needless to say he blew his motor skyhigh, they read off the computer that it was pushing 43lbs of boost when it blew. obviously Mitsu would never cover this and he was looking at about a $3,000 bill to fix his car.

However, because Bill (my bros boss) is cool, he cut the kid a break and "overlooked" the plugged wastegate, at the tune of $500 in his pocket.

it saved the kid $2,500 and Bill picked up $500 and he went to my Bro and said "you never saw this wastegate ok". then it was covered under the warranty, they claimed it "malfunctioned" and was stuck closed.

Yep. The dealer I used to work at does the same thing, although they won't charge extra for "over looking". The warranty repair pays them enough, and sending them cars to fix is all the ask. Very cool place, and some of the best mechs in South Georgia.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:53 AM

simply stuffed some crap into his wastegate so it would not dump and went out racing

Wow, didn't know that kids were that stupid these days....
Old 05-13-2005, 10:56 AM
Maxima Pilot

.... you should see all the crap these moron 18 year olds are doing to the Evo's. as an example one idiot, simply stuffed some crap into his wastegate so it would not dump and went out racing.... he blew his motor skyhigh, they read off the computer that it was pushing 43lbs of boost when it blew.
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!! And to think some idiot like that can actually go out and buy a car like the Evo....whatta fukkup!!! I would have looooved to see his face when he was confronted with the readout from the ECU..
Old 05-13-2005, 02:15 PM
Looking for a few good Maximas

go to a local dealership, get to know the service guys/manager real well, then ask questions. I know the guys at a local dealer pretty well (i.e., will forward the timing for you for $20)... and all you have to do is ask... will this be ok? If they say 'yes', then it won't be a worry if you have it serviced at that dealership (and as long as they still work there, of course).
Old 05-13-2005, 07:45 PM

43 lbs of boost in an EVO...jesus.. Imagine the look on his face better yet when he blew that motor. Idiot. Anyways, yes, some dealers can treat you very well and some can screw you. Get to know your mechanics, parts dept. etc. it pays off, big time.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by oxygen
43 lbs of boost in an EVO...jesus.. Imagine the look on his face better yet when he blew that motor. Idiot. Anyways, yes, some dealers can treat you very well and some can screw you. Get to know your mechanics, parts dept. etc. it pays off, big time.

randomly buying the shop pizza can get you a long long way with you mechaincs. it does not cost much and they will love you for it.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:37 PM

I took my Nissan guys out to Outback bout 2 months ago as they got me a new tranny and VIAS. Cost me 300 dollars to treat them to whatever they wished for. I know all em guys and I also used to work there so it was aight

As far as dealerships making money on warranty ? No they don't make as much $$ of warranty as they do off customer pay work. Warranty probably pays something like 8 hours for a long block (pretty standard time for 4 cylinder engines) considering this is Mitsu and their warranty labor times suck. Where customer pay engine woulda been probably around 15 hours of labor per the Motors labor time book.

I just did a few engines in the last few months over at Acura and our times range from 18 hours for a GS-R to 20 hours for a RSX or like 21 hours for a new TL engine. J32 engine in a TL is a piece of cake to do, you can get the engine out- assemble it all togheter, put it back in the car and drive it home in like 9 hours tops. I had a kid overrev his RSX to 13K RPMs and I showed him the readout on the scanner. He had to buy the engine needless to say- 4 bald tires at 18K miles is a indication that the car is getting beat on.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:42 AM

The service manager at the Nissan dealer I worked at, told me they do really good off of warranty work. For one, it keeps their guys busy, and two, he said the money is nearly the same as drive-up customers. And with warranty work, they're not going to go somewhere else looking for a better deal. Thats just what he told me, and two good buddies of mine that are mechs told me the same thing. They love warranty work.
Old 05-14-2005, 05:22 PM

Damn mechanics who love warranty work ? WTF kinda mechanics are they ? Warranty work doesn't pay good wortha ****.
Old 05-14-2005, 06:32 PM

haha..They're Nissan Mechanics. They act like warranty work is winning the lottery, which seems even stranger now.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:38 PM

Unless they scam warranty work that doesn't need to be done, keep the new parts for side jobs etc... Warranty is really not worth working for at ALL. You know how much Nissan pays to repleace the whole VIAS intake manifold ? ** 0.7 hour **- its not even a full hour of labor ! Anyone whos ever pulled their VIAS intake off will tell ya it takes more than a hour to remove and install it. There are other things that pay like **** too, so unless they are doing something against warranty, they no way will make more $$$ on Warranty work than customer pay work. I know how it is, since I am a tech myself over at Acura.
Old 05-15-2005, 06:37 AM

I have no idea what they're doing, and it sounds like I don't want to know.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:08 AM
Maxima Pilot

Originally Posted by BlackBIRDVQ
I had a kid overrev his RSX to 13K RPMs and I showed him the readout on the scanner. He had to buy the engine needless to say

This 'reading of the scanner' works both ways....it's how BMW got themselves fukked up when a bunch of engines from the new model M3 started blowing up......at first, they would confront the customer with the printout that said they had ovverreved their engines to 8600 RPMs (on downshifts, of course, because the rev limiter prevents that from happening under acceleration) then they would deny warranty and all that

One day, they did the same thing to a customer with an SMG car -which will never allow exceeding redline eveon on downshifts- and the customer said exactly that...somethign along the lines of 'you are lying and must have doctored the ECU readout because I have an SMG car.....'

Talk about wanting to hide??

To make a long story short, major lawsuits, major egg on face, many new M3 engines had to be replaced and all of them are now warranted to 100k miles. They traced the problem to a change order implemented in October 2003 to upgrade the rod bearings -obviously, it did not work out as planned