5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Suspension install gone to hell. Suggestions needed asap.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 02:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Suspension install gone to hell. Suggestions needed asap.

(written at 3am by a frustrated, sleep deprived man) :0
To make a long story short after some slight frustration the front suspension (Illuminas with Progress) and the passenger side rear were completed.

We come to the drivers side rear and I can't get the shock bolt out at the bottom. I didn't even notice it on the passenger side but there is a nut at the back and it is held in by some welded tabs. I would assume the tabs are supposed to hold it from spinning. Well the nut is just spinning because the tabs are too loose somehow but there isn't enough room to get a socket or wrench on the nut because of the son of a beach tabs are in the way. ARGH.

Now the bolt head is stripped on the exposed side and I am at a loss what to really do. We were thinking using a sawzall and cutting the bolt off through the shock itself and then cutting off the tabs and getting a new nut and bolt to install there? If you have installed your own suspension you will know where I am talking about. Am I just a max newbie and am missing something? I searched and followed housecores install. Any help is great. Thanks
Old 05-28-2005, 03:29 AM

Hey man, I know what you're talking about. Since the bolt head is already stripped, how bout cutting the bolt head off instead. Then bend try to bend the tabs out of the way with a plier or something. Otherwise you've got to cut it off. That way, you can slide the bolt backward from the side with the nut.

If there is not enough clearance, you can still slide out the bolt from the side with the nut and cut the nut off the thing and slide out what remains of the bolt. Sorry about your problems, hopefully it turns out good.
Old 05-28-2005, 02:48 PM

hmmm, i never had the tabs, the bolts came right out with no problem..
Old 05-28-2005, 06:11 PM

Same thing happend to me. I had to get my dremel out and cut the bolt head. I ordered a new nut and bolt at the dealer. I don't remember having to bend the tabs out of the way to get the nut off. Just do what you are thinking about to get it out.
Old 05-28-2005, 07:40 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

can anyone put a pic of the bolt you are talking about. I'm doing my suspension as soon as I get back home from my other Home...Puerto Rico..so I will need all the help I need to do it...
Old 05-28-2005, 07:41 PM

To those who responded, thanks. I used a cutting wheel to cut through the bolt and I also removed the tabs. I used a temporary bolt and nut to make it work but I will have to go to the dealer on Tuesday to get the OEM one in there.