5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Tint: Reflective, Black, Smoke

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 08:08 AM

Tint: Reflective, Black, Smoke

So Im going to get my Grey Lustre AE tinted this summer and I was thinking 35% (50 reflect/ 50 black) because Ive seen it look nice. Im in NJ so I can really go to dark Are there any real differences between smoke and black or is that lingo. Ive seen someone say they had "pimp tint" hah. Obvious relfective is different and come in different colors. Any input? thanks.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by silversurfersg
So Im going to get my Grey Lustre AE tinted this summer and I was thinking 35% (50 reflect/ 50 black) because Ive seen it look nice. Im in NJ so I can really go to dark Are there any real differences between smoke and black or is that lingo. Ive seen someone say they had "pimp tint" hah. Obvious relfective is different and come in different colors. Any input? thanks.
I'm guessing you wouldn't want to get your car tinted at a place that offers "pimp" tint...I'd go for "Premium" or something along those lines. I think reflective looks cheesy and cheap and I've only seen it look good on a few cars. I've never heard of black vs smoke. I can't remember what mine was called, but I'd say to just go for plain black tint. Tip: Get 20% on the back and 35% on the sides...it makes the sides look a shade darker and most cops don't have the tool to test the rear window...most only have the meter that can slip over the open window.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:17 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

reflective or smoke is monochromatic tint. it has metal shavings that make it reflective. some of the better (regular black) tint has shavings as well, and it will not fade over time. the cheaper (regular) tint just has a dye in it, and will fade in a few years. then there is the complete reflective (silver looking mirror) tint. i am not sure how that one works. the monochromatic reflective tint at 85% darkness is about equarl to 65% in regular black tint. i like the somewhat reflective tints, especially on silver and gray cars. either way you go, get the tint with metal shavings in it, it will last longer, and looks better.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:25 AM

I'd be interested in seeing some pics of this tint if anyone has them.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:30 AM
Upper Midwest Wheel Whore

Originally Posted by chr0nos
reflective or smoke is monochromatic tint. it has metal shavings that make it reflective. some of the better (regular black) tint has shavings as well, and it will not fade over time. the cheaper (regular) tint just has a dye in it, and will fade in a few years. then there is the complete reflective (silver looking mirror) tint. i am not sure how that one works. the monochromatic reflective tint at 85% darkness is about equarl to 65% in regular black tint. i like the somewhat reflective tints, especially on silver and gray cars. either way you go, get the tint with metal shavings in it, it will last longer, and looks better.

best tint description I have heard in a while. Thank you, too many people talk about tint without knowing much about it.......
Old 06-22-2005, 08:37 AM

I think it's illegal in NJ to have reflective tint...

I have "standard" black tints 5% rear 35% front.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:40 AM

I have Llumar Stealth Tint on all my cars. Its a great smoked semi reflective tint. I'd get it in 35% so that cops don't mess with you too much. As you can see from the pics it looks dark/light/reflective all at the same time.

35% on my 5th Gen.

5% on my Z

Note its all the same brand Llumar Stealth tint. Just ask for it by name. I have 15% and 35% on the sides of my 05 Maxima. I'll post those pics tonight.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:47 AM

i will take pix of my car today and post them here. its 86% monochromatic/smoke/semi reflective tint. i think llumar also makes platinum plus, which is real similar to what i got.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Hamy
I have Llumar Stealth Tint on all my cars. Its a great smoked semi reflective tint. I'd get it in 35% so that cops don't mess with you too much. As you can see from the pics it looks dark/light/reflective all at the same time.

35% on my 5th Gen.

5% on my Z

Note its all the same brand Llumar Stealth tint. Just ask for it by name. I have 15% and 35% on the sides of my 05 Maxima. I'll post those pics tonight.
I hope you realize that at age 22 (and any age) you are insanely lucky to have those three cars and that house (providing it's yours) where all the pictures are taken because its gorgeous (cars and house)...although i'm sure that you worked hard for it...i hope to be in a similar situation in a few years.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:56 AM

Check my home page for pics of my car with Solar Gard tint, which is a metal (slightly reflective) tint on Sterling Mist. Hard to tell from the pics (they show darkness vs. reflection due to light angle), but it's about as reflective as Hamys.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Kruppa
I hope you realize that at age 22 (and any age) you are insanely lucky to have those three cars and that house (providing it's yours) where all the pictures are taken because its gorgeous (cars and house)...although i'm sure that you worked hard for it...i hope to be in a similar situation in a few years.
That is in case it's all paid off, otherwise he's just in a deeper hole than most of us. I have no idea of his financial position, but if he can swing than all power to him. Nice cars. Especially the Z.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:48 PM

thanks fellas... that about covers it
Old 06-22-2005, 12:53 PM

^^ Well guys one thing you should know is the 5th gen was traded a long time ago on my Z. I've had that for about a year now and I just bought the 05 Maxima for my wife to be. As far as being 22...well I've worked all through college and the past two years at a mid size accounting firm. I saved a ton and put a nice down payment on my house but of course i'm going to be in debt for the next 30 years. I don't think age has anything to do with it. I'm very down to earth and wouldn't brag about what I have. A few members have met me in person and can vouch for everything I've just mentioned.

Back to TINT - I paid $150 tax included for my two Maximas. I'd suggest shopping around for a place that uses Llumar or Solar Guard.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by wu54736
I'd be interested in seeing some pics of this tint if anyone has them.
here are some pics my friend. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/675591... and the aftermarket clear corners, and tail lenses make it all flow really nicely. but as you can tell from page 5, those clear tails have to go...
Old 06-22-2005, 07:04 PM

NJ!!!!!! I strongly believe you cannot tint your front windows at all. And you know in this state, your getting pulled over for any offen$e they can $ee.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:05 AM

Yeah thats true... U cannot tint ure windows at all in the front ... but on the other hand there is absolutely no limit in the back, so cops can't get u on that at all...

Every states tint laws...
http://www.iwfa.com/iwfa/Law_Chart/S...aw%20Chart.htm

by the way, instil this forum helped me alot cuase I am lookin into tints very soon and being that I live in NJ its hard trying to make tints in ure car look good with them not legal in the front
Old 06-23-2005, 06:14 AM

cops dont really care THAT much about the front window tint. as long as it is not 95% (limo) tint, you should be ok. i took pix last night as promised of my car, and will try to post them up today or tomorrow. my girlfrind drives my black camry, and that has 65% regular black tint. i will take pix of that as well for some comparison. hang tight.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:30 AM

cops dont really care THAT much about the front window tint. as long as it is not 95% (limo) tint, you should be ok. i took pix last night as promised of my car, and will try to post them up today or tomorrow. my girlfrind drives my black camry, and that has 65% regular black tint. i will take pix of that as well for some comparison. hang tight.
Weird, I've NEVER heard tint referred to by those number like 95% limo tint...it's 5% limo tint because the percentage refers to the amount of sunlight the tint allows to pass through
Old 06-23-2005, 07:13 AM
350 Detroit Muscle

Back to TINT - I paid $150 tax included for my two Maximas. I'd suggest shopping around for a place that uses Llumar or Solar Guard.
For 2 cars? That's cheap!

I had 35% reflective tint and it wasn't worth it because I got a ticket for it and had to pay to remove it. Go with black and not too dark, especially if cops are **** around your area
Old 06-23-2005, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by FieldzGood
Yeah thats true... U cannot tint ure windows at all in the front ... but on the other hand there is absolutely no limit in the back, so cops can't get u on that at all...

Every states tint laws...
http://www.iwfa.com/iwfa/Law_Chart/S...aw%20Chart.htm

by the way, instil this forum helped me alot cuase I am lookin into tints very soon and being that I live in NJ its hard trying to make tints in ure car look good with them not legal in the front
I feel you, i dont know what imma do. I dont want dark in the back and clear in the front. maybe ill just very lightly tint the front and back and hope for the best. But then whenever you need to get inspected,your not gonna pass,so i dunno
Old 06-23-2005, 02:02 PM

i just had my 00 max tinted 15% front and back today..... also had the clear sunroof tinted also, just too match if nothing else since it has the sliding open close part on the inside. but i went with johnston window films silhoeutte, comes with a lifetime warrenty and usually cheaper than lumar, 40 bucks cheaper in my case. 140 was how much my tint was with sunroof and window strip(not sure if i like it yet) but i will post up pictures, so u can see, but for now its raining
Old 06-23-2005, 02:58 PM

I was going to get mine done 35% this summer too. And wow, we have the same car and live a town apart. Suprised I've never seen you...Where are you planning on getting it done. I need to get my old tint removed off the rear window so I found two places that would do it. Zippo's on route 22 gave me a pretty good price...let me know if you need some help/info.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by sublimer
I was going to get mine done 35% this summer too. And wow, we have the same car and live a town apart. Suprised I've never seen you...Where are you planning on getting it done. I need to get my old tint removed off the rear window so I found two places that would do it. Zippo's on route 22 gave me a pretty good price...let me know if you need some help/info.
what are you gonna do with the front though. leave it or tint it
Old 06-23-2005, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by instil
what are you gonna do with the front though. leave it or tint it
I was planning on tinting the front. When I bought my car used it had the rear windows tinted only and that looked horrible, especially with old "purpelish" fading tint. I removed the rear sides myself and need to get the rear removed at a shop and am gonna re-tint it all with 35%, which I think isnt too dark to draw attention, yet still looks good. I know its illegal but I've seen so many people that have the fronts tinted and have never gotten any crap from cops. Only person I know that got pulled over for tints had 5% all around. I'm not sure about inspection though. Im guessing it wont pass. Not sure what I'll do about that...maybe get it inspected privately or something.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:30 PM

35% on my 02 grey lustre..so it should tell you if you want it or not

Old 06-23-2005, 05:22 PM

Here in Mass the limit is 35%, and since all glass naturally has 1-2% tint, putting on 35% film puts you below the legal limit. I had that on my previous car and though I got pulled over a few times the cops never used a meter on the glass because once they got next to the car they said it looked legal and let me go. The problem came when it was time for inspection. In Mass part of your yearly inspection includes them checking your tint, and a lot of shops will fail you if it's below 35%. I used to have to drive around and find small ghetto reapir shops that didnt give a f--k about tint. Now when I go have my Max tinted in a few weeks I'm having 43% put on the sides with 35% on the back so it stays legal, such a pain in the rear!
Old 06-24-2005, 12:25 AM

word. You can have tint in the front, but have to get inspected yearly. I cant have ANY tint on the front windows (legally,the back windows can be blacked out,they dont care),but our inspections are every two years.
My inspection is due by the end of the month,so tomorrow or early next week i need to take off my clear sidemarkers. As far as tint, if i pay 150 to get 35% all around, and i get a Fix-It-ticket,ill be pissed if i have to remove it. What i really need is tint and a pba card
Old 06-24-2005, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Kruppa
Weird, I've NEVER heard tint referred to by those number like 95% limo tint...it's 5% limo tint because the percentage refers to the amount of sunlight the tint allows to pass through
some people go the other way on percentages, it depends on the person and/or shop you go to.

Don't tint your front window just for the safety factor. If there is any glare in your car at night, you can crash because you can't see out your window(s). IMO 85% or 15%, (blox out 85%) of light, is a good shade for regular black tint. It's very dark, looks great on Gray Lustre or Black, or any dark car. You cannot see into the car at all, but can see out pretty easy. Except at night, that can be a b*tch sometimes if there are no lights out. 65% is the best conbination between dark, and cops not caring because it's not super black, about equal to 85% in monochromatic tint as far as actual darkness goes. My .02.

And finally, here it is, I am making a site for my max, check out the "TINT" section for now: http://www.crimsonshift.com/maxima
I will post some more pix tomorrow of my old car that my girlfriend is driving now. It has regular black tint, and you can compare.
Old 06-24-2005, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by sublimer
Sublimer im right near scotch plains HS if u see me around. Anyways I stay down the shore in seaside park all summer so I may get it done down there and i had a friend who got a nice job done down there. Instil where u at down there? Everyone knows NJ its a biotch with front tints thats why im not gonna go to dark. With my black leather it should give a bit darker look. 35% really isnt that dark. A lot of SUVs are comming out of the factory pretty dark these days. So when I pay off my parents in a month IM RISKING It like a badasss hah and gettin those tints
Old 06-24-2005, 06:44 AM

sublimer where did u find a 5-sp AE? i wanted a 5-sp 3.5 SE but i went for the AEs good looks instead.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:36 AM

Sublimer im right near scotch plains HS if u see me around. Anyways I stay down the shore in seaside park all summer so I may get it done down there and i had a friend who got a nice job done down there. Instil where u at down there? Everyone knows NJ its a biotch with front tints thats why im not gonna go to dark. With my black leather it should give a bit darker look. 35% really isnt that dark. A lot of SUVs are comming out of the factory pretty dark these days. So when I pay off my parents in a month IM RISKING It like a badasss hah and gettin those tints
yoooo,im like 10 minutes south of seaside haha. Any mods on your max,exterior or performance wise, i might need to check your max out. If your familiar with the area, my friend just got his tint done in Brick (5-10 minutes north of toms river) at a shop on rt 70. They did a good job if your gonna be in the area for the summer, rather than head back up north
Old 06-24-2005, 03:14 PM

heres some pics of my maxs tint, 15% front and rear......

Old 06-24-2005, 04:02 PM

that looks tight, but i dont recommend anybody in jersey do 15%, i am gonna end up lightly tinting mine all the way around. Anybody do theirs themselves? i wouldnt attempt it,just curious
Old 06-24-2005, 08:36 PM

sublimer where did u find a 5-sp AE? i wanted a 5-sp 3.5 SE but i went for the AEs good looks instead.
i got mine at an auction. I was originally looking for a 99, but then this AE came up and it was too good to pass on. You mean 6 spd 3.5 right?
Old 06-27-2005, 08:55 AM

Is your tint sprayed on or put on in sheets? What about scratches? or tint peeling off? (anyone?)

^^ Well guys one thing you should know is the 5th gen was traded a long time ago on my Z. I've had that for about a year now and I just bought the 05 Maxima for my wife to be. As far as being 22...well I've worked all through college and the past two years at a mid size accounting firm. I saved a ton and put a nice down payment on my house but of course i'm going to be in debt for the next 30 years. I don't think age has anything to do with it. I'm very down to earth and wouldn't brag about what I have. A few members have met me in person and can vouch for everything I've just mentioned.

Old 06-27-2005, 09:12 AM

tint comes in sheets. it's a thin film that's glued on to the iside of your car's windows. it's acutally very durable, most tint you can wash with steel/plastic wool and it will not scratch. if you get in an accident, your window will not shatter cuz the film will hold it together in a single sheet.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:52 AM

chr0nos: Thanks for your quick response... I'm going to go for it... I found a local place (Mississauga) that will bring the tint to the legal limit for $200 and for an extra $30, give it a lifetime warranty. I've heard many misconceptions about window tint over the years, (peeling and bubbling) so thanks again for your help. However, you've brought up an interesting point. The glass is supposed to shatter in an accident and fall into a million pieces. That's what it is designed to do. The plastic tint on the windows could turn the window into a dangerous projectile, say, in the event of a role over... Then again, your windshield has a plastic internal layer that is designed to also stay together in the event of an accident. Maybe by adding tint to all of your windows it actually makes the car safer? Just a thought...

tint comes in sheets. it's a thin film that's glued on to the iside of your car's windows. it's acutally very durable, most tint you can wash with steel/plastic wool and it will not scratch. if you get in an accident, your window will not shatter cuz the film will hold it together in a single sheet.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:15 AM
HOOSIER Daddy?

Just got mine done @ 20% Tint called "Quantum". Very happy w/ the results. Lifetime guarantee. I still have some bubbles but that's because of the metal in the tint. I was told that this is the tint that most closely resembles the look of tint on Mercedes automobiles. LOVE IT!
Old 06-28-2005, 09:30 AM

My tint is the reflective tint with the metal actually in it, not that nasty "chrome" stuff It's called 25% Titanium.. I love it, when the sun hits it you cant see through it at all, when its night or dusk it *looks* legal so i dont have any problems with the police

Old 06-28-2005, 09:37 AM

Here is an angled view

25% flat (not reflective) tint on my Catera

hope this helps you out

Quick Reply: Tint: Reflective, Black, Smoke