5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Body Control Module (BCM). What is it and what does it do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 07:29 AM

Body Control Module (BCM). What is it and what does it do?

Good Day Everyone.

Here is the Reason I am asking about the BCM. The map light on my 2k1 Max was out. I decided to change the bulb to a Polarg M26 bulb to see if that would fix the problem. I changed the Dome light a week before to the PIAA Hyper White bulb to give me a little more light while I was waiting on the map light to come in. I changed the dome light and it worked perfectly.

Finally the map light came in along with the bulbs for courtesy lights and the lights that illuminate the license plate. The courtesy lights and the license plate lights were working fine but I decided to change them to have some type of uniformity.

After changing out the bulbs I noticed that the dome light & courtesy light didn't work any more. The license plate lights worked fine. The map light still wasn't working so I came to the conclusion that it probably wasn't the bulb that was burned out. Also on my instrument cluster under the Fuel Gauge the trunk light comes on when I open the door and goes off when I close it. Also the trunk release stopped working. I checked the fuses none of the ones I checked were blown. The description on the fuse panel really doesn't give a good description on what the fuses affect. When I arm my Python 881XP it shows that the Trunk is open.

The next day I drove to the dealership to have them take a look at it. The guy said that it might be a bad Body Control Module and that the part was $600. I was wondering if anyone has any Ideas on what the problem may be and is there anything else I can check?

Thanks in Advance
Old 06-30-2005, 07:34 AM

First of all, when you say Map do you mean Navigation map(screen)?
Old 06-30-2005, 09:11 AM

Map light - The light near the sunroof switches.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:11 PM

The official term is Front Personal Light
Old 06-30-2005, 03:58 PM
+Cru OG

this is all i could find about the BCM. it's for the GM vehicles but the description is the same.
http://cv6.fakeleg.com/techfiles/bod...rol.module.pdf
Old 06-30-2005, 04:37 PM
I Miss My Maxima

Body control module (in Chrysler terms) is linked to the PCM/ECU and usually mounted under the dash or the front carpet area under teh center console. It is responsible for controlling, amongst other things...and yes, it could definitely cause your symptoms.

- Interior lighting (dimmer, multifunction switch)
- HVAC controls and function
- Radio, cd changer, nav system, DVD, etc
- Power accessories (locks, windows, seats, mirrors, heater elements)
- Liftgate, sliding door, etc. controls and motors
- Remote keyless entry, vehicle security system, and factory remote start
- Instrument cluster warning lights

Stuff not controlled by the BCM, that's inside the car:
- Instrument cluster gauges (have their own microcontroller)
- ABS brakes (ABS module)
- Air bags (SRS module)
- Sentry Key (computer chip keys..(SKIM module))
- Cruise Control (PCM)
Old 07-01-2005, 06:16 AM

Thanks alot for your help. Those D!ckheads at the dealership kept my car for two days and couldn't figure out what was wrong. I decided to download the 2001 Nissan Maxima Service Manual and look through there to see what fuses controlled the problem areas. Turns out that there was a fuse in the wrong spot. I'd think the fuse block - junction box would have been the first place they checked. The service rep told me that their Tech checked all of the fuses and couldn't find anything wrong. What a bunch of Bull$h!t.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

They probably did check the fuses and found the problem, but told you it was the BCM so they could charge you $600 to change a fuse. I see the scam all the time in all types of repair shops, not just cars. Why do you think there was a fuse in the wrong spot? Your lights worked fine before, so that wrong fuse wasn't originally there. They probably put the wrong one in to remind them which one they needed to change once you authorized the $600 repair.