5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

SSBC Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 01:49 AM

SSBC Brakes

I just installed SSBC Force 10 brakes. I read in some threads that that are no good but nobody said what is wrong with them. I would preferred 4 piston calipers but I don’t want to get another set of 18” wheels and than lower the car. Bigger iron calipers and rotors are too much un-sprung weight.
There is very little gap between the caliper and the 17” Nissan wheel but it’s OK.

No gap with my Viper wheels.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:14 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

Still doesn't appear that there is enough clearance to run that setup.
Old 07-04-2005, 06:23 AM

Well, I already have a problem! After installing and bleeding the brakes the rotors were turning freely. Now after driving a short distance the wheels were covered with brake dust and so hot that you couldn’t touch them. Any idea what could go wrong?
Old 07-04-2005, 07:15 AM

If you can show me some pics maybe I can help, I have the SSBC Twin piston caliper and it work very well, I dont have any of the problem you mentioned. There must be something wrong cuz those brake are working very well.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by doublea
If you can show me some pics maybe I can help, I have the SSBC Twin piston caliper and it work very well, I dont have any of the problem you mentioned. There must be something wrong cuz those brake are working very well.
View from the top (back):

View from the top (front):

View from the underneath:

I would appreciate any suggestion, thanks.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:34 AM

Hey BudVlad, I remember when I mounted the brakes, I had to shim the black metal bracket that is supplied with the caliper, the reason being that the inside pads was constantly rubbing on the rotors, It was only a matter of about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inche. I'm going to look at my set-up later today and take some pics for you to see and maybe you have the same issues.

Cheers

AA
Old 07-05-2005, 02:13 PM

Nobody has the SSBS Force 10 brakes?
Old 07-05-2005, 02:34 PM
Sanduguero

Originally Posted by BudVlad
I do, No issues here they are very good to me!
Old 07-05-2005, 03:23 PM
Very sound, Mike

Well, I already have a problem! After installing and bleeding the brakes the rotors were turning freely. Now after driving a short distance the wheels were covered with brake dust and so hot that you couldn’t touch them. Any idea what could go wrong?
Considering how close those calipers are to your wheel, the heat transfer between them is what's causing your wheels to heat up.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:52 PM

Hey BudVlad, it's been rainning really hard overhere so I didn't had a chance to take some pics, hopefully if the weather get better it'll be tommorow.

Cheers
Old 07-05-2005, 04:04 PM
Still Here... IM me for more..

I've had them for going on 2 years... No problems here either.

The issue with the dusting is probably the "Xtra Life plating" that get's removed when you hit the brakes. Basically, this stuff is a coating of somekind that coats the entire rotor.

When you drive, the coating gets rubbed off by your brake pads - it's not needed for the rotor faces that come into contact with your pads. The purpose of the plating is to protect the parts of the rotor that don't come into contact with the pads from corrosion.

It will probably also make this weird grinding noise until the plating is worn off of the rotor faces... nothing to worry about.

Hey BudVlad, I remember when I mounted the brakes, I had to shim the black metal bracket that is supplied with the caliper, the reason being that the inside pads was constantly rubbing on the rotors, It was only a matter of about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inche. I'm going to look at my set-up later today and take some pics for you to see and maybe you have the same issues.

Cheers

AA
I never had this issue... Strange...

I just installed SSBC Force 10 brakes. I read in some threads that that are no good but nobody said what is wrong with them. I would preferred 4 piston calipers but I don’t want to get another set of 18” wheels and than lower the car. Bigger iron calipers and rotors are too much un-sprung weight.
There is very little gap between the caliper and the 17” Nissan wheel but it’s OK.
Some people say that they're not that good because they don't have 4 pistons, however 4 piston calipers are overkill, and are usually only needed in race applications.

Also, having the 2 pistons keeps the front/rear brake bias almost exactly OEM - 4 piston brakes would NOT do this, unless they're itty bitty little pistons....

Originally Posted by soundmike
Considering how close those calipers are to your wheel, the heat transfer between them is what's causing your wheels to heat up.
Yeah, your 2nd pic shows where your wheels are being ground away by the caliper - you can see the grooves... You need to either space your wheels (1/8" to 1/4" wheel spacers) or run bigger wheels.

When I first installed my kit on my 2K, I had to space the wheels out 1/8" - and that was with 18" wheels already! (I got the 13" rotor kit)
Old 07-05-2005, 11:26 PM

Hey BudVlad, it's been rainning really hard overhere so I didn't had a chance to take some pics, hopefully if the weather get better it'll be tommorow.

Cheers
Thank you for your help. I will try the shims. The problem isn’t with the calipers clearance because the heat comes from the rotors. When I installed the kit the wheels were turning freely but now I can hardly turn them.
I am disappointed with the SSBC technical support. I described the problem and send them pictures of the installation. Nobody bothered to answer.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:23 AM

Cheers
I put the shims between the bracket and I think it solved my problem. So far the rotors stay reasonably cool. Thanks again I would never think of that and I got no help from SSBC.
Regards, Vlad from Bud.