5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Driver's ONLY heated seat not working

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2001 | 08:57 AM

Alright, did a search for this, but couldn't find anything. Have heated seats in my new (but used) 2k Max. When I hit the switch for the driver's heated seat, the light does not light in either position, and the seat does not warm (Thought maybe the bulb was cooked.)

But. . . The passenger's switch does light (Haven't had anyone in the other side, nor myself yet, to see if it really does heat.)

It appears there's only one fuse for both seats, so I presume that's not it unless there really are two? Could it be as simple as the switch? In that case, I would try switching the pass and driver's switches to see if it helps. Also in that case, any hints on ripping apart the console, which I really do NOT want to do?

Finally, could it be as simple as the connector under the seat came undone (Highly unlikely, but possible) Would that cause a no-light on the switch? Any other thoughts?
Old 05-21-2001 | 09:05 AM

The switches for the left and right side are different in some form or fashion. The parts numbers are different, I should say.

The chance of something coming undone are possible, but the connectors secure pretty tightly.

I believe the seat has an automatic cutoff in that if it gets too hot then it turns off automatically. Maybe it just thinks it is already warm enough.?.?

The only way to get to the switches is to mostly remove the center console, or lift the back part up and stick your hand in there to reach the connectors. I would remove the entire console to be safe and have a good look.

By the way, if you need a replacement driver's side switch, I have one brand new. I tried to add heated seats, which my car does not have. So, I have a switch I'll discount for you.

To remove center console:
- remove screws in the cd holder area
- on rear of center console, in the back seat area, around the "hump", there are two screws on each side
- remove ash tray/change holder and the screw behind it
- remove console surround by prying up
- remove two screws securing the front of the center console to the body
- a clip on each side of the lower portion of the center console, near the front, which secure the center console removable piece to the dash piece (this is the part down around your knee, while in the seat, which looks like a seam)
- pull up emergency brake a long way. try to get it as vertical as possible
- put car in neutral or drive so that while lifting the console out it will clear the shift ****
- pull up from rear, back a little, then up again
Old 05-21-2001 | 09:07 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Want to add your how to in the FAQ, mdeal?
Old 05-21-2001 | 11:31 AM

Better not...I was going only from memory.
Old 05-21-2001 | 11:43 AM

Gee. . .

Hehehe! Now I feel safe doing this!
Old 05-21-2001 | 02:34 PM

It's not a bad procedure. My notes are pretty much correct. I didn't leave out anything important, if that is what you are worried about. Get in there and start digging around and you'll figure it out. It is pretty easy to do. Just don't forget the screw in the cd holder area like I did and muscle it out....

I probably would NOT just stick my hand under there and start fishing around. The air bag control module is just underneath the cd holder, which would be just South of the heated seat connectors, that contains some connectors, wires, and such. I don't know what happens if you yank on the wrong wires on that thing.
Old 05-21-2001 | 03:19 PM

Now for a really dumb question!

Originally posted by mdeal
Just don't forget the screw in the cd holder area like I did and muscle it out....
Alright, keep hearing about this CD holder area. Did I miss something in the manual about this car? Are you just talking about when you open up the arm rest - that area in there where I keep throwing my cell phone when I'm in the car?
Old 05-21-2001 | 06:31 PM

Yes, that is the area I keep my cds. In the very bottom is a thin rubbery mat like thing. Lift it up and you'll see a screw in there.