5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

manual transmission noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 07:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

manual transmission noise

My 5-speed MT is making a good bit of noise lately and I am not sure what it is. I did a fluid change yesterday with MT-90 but it didn't make any difference in the noise. It makes the noise primarily in first, second and third and mostly in the lower rpm's (2-4000 rpm). Fourth and fifth gear aren't nearly as noisy. Also makes more noise when accelerating or decelerating than it does just maintaining speed. I am not having any shifting or slipping issues though, some slight grind shifting into third or fourth if I try to shift it to fast. The sound is like a "whirring" sound that is slightly different from gear to gear.

This is on a 2000 SE with 76k miles.

Any info anyone might have on this issue and how much it might cost to fix would be very much appreciated!!
Old 07-25-2005, 07:53 AM

I've always had a slight problem shifting into 4th, occasionally 3rd....

is it like the whirring sound when you backup? I get a little bit of that now and then in first and second.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by maxwannabenow
My 5-speed MT is making a good bit of noise lately and I am not sure what it is. I did a fluid change yesterday with MT-90 but it didn't make any difference in the noise. It makes the noise primarily in first, second and third and mostly in the lower rpm's (2-4000 rpm). Fourth and fifth gear aren't nearly as noisy. Also makes more noise when accelerating or decelerating than it does just maintaining speed. I am not having any shifting or slipping issues though, some slight grind shifting into third or fourth if I try to shift it to fast. The sound is like a "whirring" sound that is slightly different from gear to gear.

This is on a 2000 SE with 76k miles.

Any info anyone might have on this issue and how much it might cost to fix would be very much appreciated!!
It maybe one of your bearings inside the tranny that is or has gone bad if it sounds like whirring noise. I had that kind of noise in my 1993 Maxima before and it was a bearing that was pitted. Another indication that a bearing my have gone bad is when you drained your tranny oil, did you noticed a significant amount of shinny metal coming out? The cost for bearing replacement may range from $500 to $2000 depending on the shop. I had mines done for $650 which also including replacing my synchros and some worn gears. For me this was cheap because I removed my tranny from my car and dropped it at the shop to save on the removal and installation costs.

steve...
Old 07-25-2005, 08:30 AM

It is similar to the noise that it makes when backing up and if I hold the shifter it is not quite as loud.

I didn't do the fluid replacement myself so I am not sure if there were any metal shavings in the old fluid or not.

Omegasrk.. did your transmission just make noise when you discovered you had a bad bearing or did you have any slipping or shifting problems?
Old 07-25-2005, 08:49 AM

synchros went bad
Old 07-25-2005, 08:49 AM

go to the dealer and ask them they know a lot
Old 07-25-2005, 08:50 AM

thats why i bought an auto less problems and cuz i live in teh city to much traffic
Old 07-25-2005, 08:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had a slight deep humm going into first and second, I work at a dealership, they looked at it and said it was probably the throwout bearing.. But keep in mind it wasn't a whirring noise it was almost a humming noise..
Old 07-25-2005, 09:24 AM
Helicopters! Money!!!

Sounds like the exact problem I had-a bad bearing. Is it leakinig tranny fluid? I had it replaced under warranty at 59k miles. Start looking for a replacement transmission at car-part.com. Rebuilding it will prolly cost $2,000, while getting a used one would cost 750-1000.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:34 AM
Helicopters! Money!!!

Originally Posted by nissan_salesman
I had a slight deep humm going into first and second, I work at a dealership, they looked at it and said it was probably the throwout bearing.. But keep in mind it wasn't a whirring noise it was almost a humming noise..
It's not the throwout bearing if it happens while you are in gear.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by dima87
thats why i bought an auto less problems and cuz i live in teh city to much traffic
Less problems than manual . Dont think so
Old 07-25-2005, 10:06 AM
It's business time.

maxwannabenow,

I had the same exact problem. I had almost the same EXACT mileage too. I had what I called a whining sort of sound in 1st and 2nd and it got louder gradually w/ more miles. It almost sounded like reverse only slightly quieter.

The problem was my bearings and races in my tranny were going bad. They were pitted to hell and I had to have them replaced.

Luckily, I have an extended warranty and I took it to AAMCO. It came out to around $1000.

GL
Old 07-26-2005, 12:21 AM

It is similar to the noise that it makes when backing up and if I hold the shifter it is not quite as loud.

I didn't do the fluid replacement myself so I am not sure if there were any metal shavings in the old fluid or not.

Omegasrk.. did your transmission just make noise when you discovered you had a bad bearing or did you have any slipping or shifting problems?
My tranny made a whirring noise when in gear and when in neutral when I had bad bearings. This maybe one sure bet to test if bearings have gone bad. If you are in neutral while the clutch is not pressed down do you hear noise? Now see if you hear noise while your clutch is pressed down. If you hear a whirring noise like marbles rolling on a tabletop while the clutch is not press down and it goes away when you press the clutch down, then chances are you have pitted bearing. Also, no major shifting problem occurred during the time I had bad bearings. Also, dima88 brings up a good point that your synchro may have gone bad if you have hard shifting problems into certain gears.

steve...
Old 07-26-2005, 04:43 AM

I don't have any shifting problems just the noise. I am taking it to AAMCO today to get it evaluated. Will post an update.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm also having a strange almost cranking noise coming from my 2003 SE 6 speed. It's happens intermittently but usually when I first get going in the morning or heading to lunch. Either way, the car has sat for a little bit, so I just figured it needed some time to get the juices flowing. (I maintain the car regularly. Change the fluids, etc. There are no mods on this car.)

Well... last night on the way home, my check engine light came on. The car has 21500 miles on it. I don't suppose this is one of those automatic lights tha shows up at a scheduled odometer cilck?

Any help for the newbie would be greatly appreciated. I think I'm going to have to call the Nissan dealer either way. I leased this one a few years ago.

Thanks, guys.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:30 AM

[QUOTE=1473]I'm also having a strange almost cranking noise coming from my 2003 SE 6 speed. It's happens intermittently but usually when I first get going in the morning or heading to lunch. Either way, the car has sat for a little bit, so I just figured it needed some time to get the juices flowing. (I maintain the car regularly. Change the fluids, etc. There are no mods on this car.)

Well... last night on the way home, my check engine light came on. The car has 21500 miles on it. I don't suppose this is one of those automatic lights tha shows up at a scheduled odometer cilck?

Any help for the newbie would be greatly appreciated. I think I'm going to have to call the Nissan dealer either way. I leased this one a couple of years ago. Also, I assume that everything is going to fall under the warranty since it's at 21500- is that incorrect?

I don't have any gear whine (just the normal whine manuals make) but I did get a cel this morning but it went off in about 10 mins. The same thing happened with my 02 twice and the cel always went off...
Old 07-26-2005, 09:13 AM
Helicopters! Money!!!

[QUOTE=boondoxmax]
Originally Posted by 1473
I'm also having a strange almost cranking noise coming from my 2003 SE 6 speed. It's happens intermittently but usually when I first get going in the morning or heading to lunch. Either way, the car has sat for a little bit, so I just figured it needed some time to get the juices flowing. (I maintain the car regularly. Change the fluids, etc. There are no mods on this car.)

Any help for the newbie would be greatly appreciated. I think I'm going to have to call the Nissan dealer either way. I leased this one a couple of years ago. Also, I assume that everything is going to fall under the warranty since it's at 21500- is that incorrect?

I don't have any gear whine (just the normal whine manuals make) but I did get a cel this morning but it went off in about 10 mins. The same thing happened with my 02 twice and the cel always went off...
Just about everything except wear items are covered under the 36k warranty.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:23 PM
Maxima Pilot

Originally Posted by dima87
synchros went bad
Synchros have absolutely, unequivocally nothing to do with this noise which was described as happenning with the tranny in gear, not while shifting.

Synchros come into play only (only only only) during the exact & precise moment of shifting when their cone meshing/sliding mechanism engages briefly before the gears themselves actually engage hence eliminating the dreaded gear crunching you see in non-synchro trannies

You gotta learn more about the subject in question before u start proferring opinions...

This is some sort of bearing failure, no question....
Old 07-26-2005, 01:54 PM

just got off the phone with AAMCO.. they say axles and everything look okay and from listening to it they think the noise is coming from the bellhousing area at the front of the transmission. they think it may be the throwout bearing. they want $498 to pull the transmission and then if the trouble is there then that will be the total charge. if the problem is not there then they will have to crack open the transmission and then it will be no additional labor but whatever parts are needed in there

he said if I let it go and the throwout bearing lets go and the ***** come out of the cage it could put a hole in the bellhousing..

Thoughts and opinions???
Old 07-26-2005, 06:24 PM
Helicopters! Money!!!

Throwout bearing does not match the problem you describe. If it makes noise while in gear and accelerating or decelerating, it's the differential bearings.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:27 AM

I don't know much about transmissions but I tend to agree with you. I think it is one or more bearings inside the transmission. Is $500 labor a reasonable price for fixing this?
Old 08-06-2005, 08:04 PM

Well I got my Max back from AAMCO last week. The guy there told me that $498 would cover all the labor. Apparently that meant unless they had to rebuild the transmission. I was expecting maybe a $800-$900 repair job. He gave me an estimate of $1650. This included rebuilding the tranny, and replacing the clutch. I had to raise hell with the GM and he took off the extra $400 labor they tried to charge me to rebuild the transmission. I ended up NOT replacing the clutch and just getting the tranny rebuilt. It DID fix the noise!! Total for the tranny rebuild and throwout bearing about $1050. They replaced bearings, synchros and seals. If they had charged me regular price, it would have been about $900 in labor and $400 in parts for the tranny, another $300 for the clutch. I hope this info can help out someone else wondering about noise in their 5-speed. Thanks to all of you for the help and info.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:48 AM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by foobeca
Throwout bearing does not match the problem you describe. If it makes noise while in gear and accelerating or decelerating, it's the differential bearings.

Not true. My car had the same exact noises his is making and it had nothing to do with the differential. The mechanic showed me the bearings and races and they were pitted. He didn't even take the differential apart.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:51 AM
It's business time.

Well I got my Max back from AAMCO last week. The guy there told me that $498 would cover all the labor. Apparently that meant unless they had to rebuild the transmission. I was expecting maybe a $800-$900 repair job. He gave me an estimate of $1650. This included rebuilding the tranny, and replacing the clutch. I had to raise hell with the GM and he took off the extra $400 labor they tried to charge me to rebuild the transmission. I ended up NOT replacing the clutch and just getting the tranny rebuilt. It DID fix the noise!! Total for the tranny rebuild and throwout bearing about $1050. They replaced bearings, synchros and seals. If they had charged me regular price, it would have been about $900 in labor and $400 in parts for the tranny, another $300 for the clutch. I hope this info can help out someone else wondering about noise in their 5-speed. Thanks to all of you for the help and info.
Good job. I had the same exact thing done to my car except I added in a new clutch. That's funny, had you done a lube change or anything on the tranny, was it fully greased? Mine was and those bearings should have lasted a lot longer than 75k miles being fully lubed.