5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th gens running 235 rubber on stock 17's please step in.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 03:49 PM
I Miss My Maxima

Sorry to come in late on this one housecor.

I run Toyo Proxes 4's (235/45/17) front and rear. It makes the ride a bit choppy, and the tires tend to "track" grooves in the road, but the handling is vastly improved, especially in the wet. The car really hooks up now on hard launches, not nearly as much wheelspin vs my previous (well worn) FZ4's or the Craptenzas.

No problems at all. I had Proxes FZ4 before, same size, and got 30k out of them before i had a blowout on right rear (due to object in road) and replaced all the tires.
I do drive my car hard. Very, very hard. Never had any failure related to rim width.

I like to run 33 up front and 30-31 in the back. Gives the car a nice balance in cornering.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have 235/45 Falken 512s (don't worry, I'm not gonna argue that they're good, but I do like em for the price) on my stock rims.... I've kept tire pressure between 34F-31R to 36 all round and like the way they ride. No issues thus far.

I'm dropped, so no wheel gap issues either...
Old 07-29-2005, 07:39 AM

what tire is supposed to fit

Quick question for the experts:
What tire size is the correct for a 17X7 wheel.

i bought these aftermarket wheels long time ago 4+ years . they were kuhmo ecsta's summer. The guy selling me the wheels was gonna put on the tire size he recommended but then i came on the org and said put on
235/45/17 tires.

Point is: I had a lottle problems with the tires. Multiple flats. And 2 tires the steel belt was popping out(thats what the mechanic told me when he took them off, i dont know what the hell it means though.)

Were all these problems because I was running a 235/45/17 tire on a 17X7 aftermarket wheel? Or cause they just suck as tires?

I want to buy kuhmno's but maybe the right size this time.

Roger
Old 07-29-2005, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by radpp16
Quick question for the experts:
What tire size is the correct for a 17X7 wheel.
Alot of tires can fit on a 17x7 wheel. You can look up your stock size in many places of you want OEM specs.

Originally Posted by radpp16
Multiple flats. And 2 tires the steel belt was popping out(thats what the mechanic told me when he took them off, i dont know what the hell it means though.)
Your tires were bald as s#it. You should have changed them way before the steel belt is showing.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by housecor
Actually, the Avon M550's at Tirerack are 225/50, and are getting excellent reviews for only $117. They're my other option. Here's a little info I posted from another thread:

The 235/45/17 Toyos weigh only 24 lbs. vs 29 lbs. for the Avons. This is quite significant when you consider this quote pulled from Google:

"Tires...are all unsprung weight. One pound of "unsprung" weight is equal to 8 pounds of "sprung" weight...For every 10 pounds of unsprung weight removed you may pick up as much as .01 seconds in quarter mile ET."

Therefore, the 5 lbs. saved with the Toyo's equates to the elimination of 160 lbs. of sprung weight! (5 lbs. x 4 wheels x 8) Significant. This is basically the equivalent of removing a passenger from the car. Wow.

Regarding running 235's on a 7" rim, it's hard to say how much the small difference in width could contribute to additional heat or risk of failure. The Avon's are quite wide shouldered for a 225 with a width of 9.1" inflated on a 7" rim versus the Toyo's approximate width of 9.3" inflated on a 7" rim (Toyo site lists 9.4" width on 8" rim - should be slightly lower width on a narrower 7" rim per tirerack). So the actual difference in width between the two tires when installed is only around .2".

In general, I agree it's likely a very minimal risk w/ proper inflation. Problem is, the Avon's are spec sized and have a lot going for them as well. Here's my short comparo list:

Avon:
Appear to be better in snow
less wheel gap (.5")
Within Spec (safer)
Perhaps quieter (more conservative tread pattern - great reviews)
smoother ride from taller sidewall
perfect match for factory size - no speedo error

Toyo Proxes 4:
better handling from lower sidewall
cheaper by $60
Better looking tread/sidewall
lighter by 5 lbs.

Am I missing anything here? I'm suprised the Avon's aren't more popular on the forum. Many Max owners on Tirerack have praised them. The Avon's look better on paper other than weight (which could be a biggie), but the Proxes have gotten excellent reviews around here as well and are killer looking rubber. Tough call.

Where did you find the Toyo Proxes 4 for $60 cheaper??? Looks like good deal. Thanks.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by MaximusMorpheus
Where did you find the Toyo Proxes 4 for $60 cheaper??? Looks like good deal. Thanks.
Okay to clarify, they're $60 cheaper for 4 at toyosforless.

And thanks for all the input guys! Sadly, I still haven't made up my mind but am getting close. Honestly, my biggest concern is degrading the ride, so paralyse your comment about the 45's making the ride a bit choppy is quite a red light for me. Currently leaning toward the Avon's...this decision shouldn't be so hard.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:40 PM

And thanks for all the input guys! Sadly, I still haven't made up my mind but am getting close. Honestly, my biggest concern is degrading the ride, so paralyse your comment about the 45's making the ride a bit choppy is quite a red light for me. Currently leaning toward the Avon's...this decision shouldn't be so hard.
I think I am leaning toward's the Avon's too... Currently the number one ranked Maxima stock tire size on TireRack.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:03 PM

1 car has 235/45/17 ecsta MX

handles awesome, looks good, gap isnt an issue, install wasnt too hard (did it myself.)

other car has 225/45/17s and 245/40/17s ( i really needed tires and scored stock tires from an M3 for free) continental contisportcontacts

same review as above. you can see the width of the 245s but it doesnt look bad. again install was easy....but this time i had a kick *** machine....did all the prying for me.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:03 AM

well if you want to go with the stock size, what about these http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=2
their ratings seem to be on par with the pilot sports
www.tires.com has these for 109$ shipped
Old 08-02-2005, 08:05 AM
I Know Kwaliti

I've been running Hankook Ventus HRII H405 OEM size 225/50R17 for past 20K and have to say that I am very happy with them. They cost around $100 ea. Handle well on dry and wet, and I drive hard. I did not drive them in winter. Threadwear is excellent, after 20K they wore only about 2/32". Inflate them at 38 psi. They weigh only 25.7 lbs each!
Old 08-26-2005, 06:54 AM

Thanks for all the replies guys. I had a hard time making this decision, but I went with the Avons in 225/50/17 and have had them for around 2 weeks now. These are excellent tires. Shockingly, and I mean shockingly quiet. My Max sounds like a luxury car now. They're so quiet on the highway I listen to my CDs at 17 instead of 20 now. Also, they have a slightly softer sidewall than the stock blowtenza which produces a little more sidewall flex on extreme corners but produces a much better ride. Expansion joints are now muted and smooth. Much less harshness is transmitted into the cabin - I had a minor buzz and rattle or two that cropped up on rougher roads with the Potenzas and I haven't heard them once in the last 2 weeks since I slapped on the Avons. Wet traction is AMAZING. We've had a ton of rain the last 2 weeks and I just can't tell it's raining. Traction in the wet is identical to dry. I can do a hard launch from the light in the rain and the tires act like there's no water on the ground! What a step up! In a hard rain on the highway many were doing 50 while I rolled comfortably at 70. Straight line launches hook up much better in the dry than the old Potenzas as well.

The Avons appear wider than the Potenzas and look quite meaty from behind. They have an attractive tread pattern though the sidewall is a bit busy for my taste.

In the negatives, they are heavier than the Potenzas and on the initial drive out of the shop I thought I could detect a slight sluggishness from the additional weight. Perhaps this is in my head since I was conciously looking for it. I haven't noticed this feeling since the first couple days. Perhaps the smoother, quieter ride and reduced harshness made the car feel slightly slower. Nonetheless, this is splitting hairs, but if you're racing or doing autocross, I'd go w/ the Toyo's. However, for everyday life I'm loving these Avons. I was concerned about the Toyo's out of spec size, poorer snow traction, increased wheel gap, and choppier ride caused by the lower sidewall, so I don't regret picking up the Avon's. Two different tires for different purposes/people. Pick your priorities. Both are winners and are clearly two of the most popular options out there for Maxima owners.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:12 AM
OU > *

Thanks for the update Housecor -- I have the exact same decision coming up in the near future and your input is a benefit to my research. I am currently leaning toward the Pirelli PZero in 235/45/17 though.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by S00NR1
Thanks for the update Housecor -- I have the exact same decision coming up in the near future and your input is a benefit to my research. I am currently leaning toward the Pirelli PZero in 235/45/17 though.

They came on my 03 Saab 9-3 Vector.... And they suck, after less than 10k on them they were bald and vibrating like crazy. I went to Saab and found out it is a big problem with them and Pirelli is replacing them for customers. Pirelli put four brand new ones on my Saab for free and I went right out and traded it in that day for our new SUV (there were many problems with that Saab).
Old 08-26-2005, 10:31 AM
OU > *

Good to know -- that's the first negative review I have ever heard about the Nero M+S. All the Maxima owners I have talked to that have them love them.