5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Stumped!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 07:24 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Stumped!

Just yesterday I had my car die on me in the middle of the worst 6 o'clock traffic in my town. When I went to start it again, the car turned on but the engine wouldn't even crank. The starter didn't even sound like it was getting any signal to turn over. Anyways, I had an optima battery at my house, so I push-started the car and drove it to my house, picked up the batt. and installed it. I have a charger at work so I used that and even with the brand new battery I got nothing from the starter. The car runs fine after I push start it. Also if I try to crank the car while it is running I get nothing.

Anyone had this problem. I am going to try and throw the starter 12v when I get off work, but wanted some input before hand. Thanks.

-Kevin
Old 07-30-2005, 08:46 AM
retired moderator

SOunds like your MAF blew. Unplug the MAF to put it in safety mode by unplugging it, then you can drive the car (under 3000 rpms).....It's a known problem, and probably not battery-related.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:51 AM
I Miss My Maxima

So if your MAF takes a dump, you can't engage your starter?

And he did say that his car runs fine after he push starts it...
Old 07-30-2005, 11:13 PM
drag racing is for wussies

Did you try wacking the starter with the lug wrench you have in your trunk ? Alot of times this will work on the VQ. I belive AutoZone offers free starter testing and removing our starter is a piece of cake. Remove your stock intake or whatever intake you got, disconnect the positive off the battery and remove the one connector that sends SIGNAL to the starter- it will be on a little wire coming off the starter, then remove the 12mm nut that holds on the power lead to the starter. Then you got 2 14mm bolts that hold the starter to the tranny. The rear one is kinda hard to see and access so you will need a 6" long extension on a 14mm socket and ratchet. After that take it to get tested.

How did the car die on you in traffic ? I assume since you push started it the car is a manual and you just didnt engage the clutch correctly and car died on you right ? If thats the case its not your MAF. And since the starter didn't click or turn over its safe to say your starter is no good. VQ starters only last bout 100K miles or 5 years, I had a few of them go bad in my family, since we have a few Maximas.

Your best bet is eighter a REMAN unit from Nissan, or a low mileage used starter from someone whos parting a Maxima out on the classifieds section of the forum. I wouldn't buy a starter from a auto parts store, their reman stuff is not all that reliable- my uncle went through 2 AutoZone reman starters till I got him a OEM Nissan reman unit.