5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Replace MonsterFlow Air Filter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 08:39 AM

Replace MonsterFlow Air Filter?

I've had the Place Racing CAI for 2 years now. I have the cleaning and tackifying agent from Cattman, and I used it last July (one year after install) and it's time to clean it again.

I've heard rumors that the MonsterFlow air filter is known to get brittle and break apart which would cause the foam lining to get sucked into the engine=not good. Has anybody else heard of this or know if it is likely? I'm not sure if I should just try to clean the filter again with the kit I have or if I should replace it with the K&N filter (I know the part# for it and I know in the stickies it explains that K&N doesn't directly cause MAF failure issues addressed on here numerous times but I'm still weary about the K&N)

Obviously the best thing to do is remove it and see if it looks worn down or brittle (looked perfect after 1 year last July) before I make my decision, but I just wanted some input from you guys. Thanks.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i couldn't tell ya since i haven't even cleaned mine once, but if you're feeling weary i'm pretty sure brian catts is still selling monsterflows for 30 bucks a pop in the GD section....that in itself is worth it over cleaning your old filter..
Old 08-08-2005, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by joebangaa
i couldn't tell ya since i haven't even cleaned mine once, but if you're feeling weary i'm pretty sure brian catts is still selling monsterflows for 30 bucks a pop in the GD section....that in itself is worth it over cleaning your old filter..
Agreed...

For only 30 bucks I'd just replace it for a new one rather than risk some sort of failure... I have a K&N but when its dirty I'm gonna just toss it instead of re-oiling. Gotta look into that GD... sounds good to me.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:12 AM
drag racing is for wussies

I had a MonsterFlow on my PR CAI for about 2 years- it was one of those things that I completly forgot bout and drove the **** out of my car- never inspecting it. Well after about 60K miles I looked in there and the filter was all dissintergrating and it looked like a big O blob of mud, with virtually no air going through it. I repleaced it with a cheap K&N knock off for a moment and this filter fell apart on me also. So I got myself a real K&N filter for around 60 bux from AutoZone and it has been good for about 6 months now. I do not recomend foam filters, I used to have a Weapon R on my SE-R about 8-9 years ago and it killed my MAFs left, foam was all coming apart getting sucked into the engine very slowly.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:21 AM

well when my monsterflow sees about 15~20k i'll check up on it, clean it, reuse it, and probably just replace the thing at the next 15k interval. it's hot in socal so i wouldnt want to reuse it more than once. i was never a fan of foam filters either because i had problems with hks intakes on previous cars....but i just went with the monsterflow because i was afraid of the consequences of an over oiled k&n