5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

WRX: 2 near my work

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2001, 10:07 AM

A guy in my building has a WRX, the sedan. He punches it when ever he can. It's got a lot of pick up and I don't think my auto se can hang. I also saw a WRX wagon, I guess for all the dads who still want to drive a sports car while taking their kids to soccer practice. If the WRX was around when I bought my max, I would have definitely test drove the WRX and given it a hard look...
Old 05-24-2001, 10:48 AM

Originally posted by bcannon
A guy in my building has a WRX, the sedan. He punches it when ever he can. It's got a lot of pick up and I don't think my auto se can hang. I also saw a WRX wagon, I guess for all the dads who still want to drive a sports car while taking their kids to soccer practice. If the WRX was around when I bought my max, I would have definitely test drove the WRX and given it a hard look...
dont know man, i came close to racing the wrx se
never got a chance to really race cuz of traffic
but it is fast....i think the 5sp guys can put up a good race....dont know any outcomes

i hav two races im going to try
that wrx, and my friend has 2000 prelude sh
the wrx....i dont know....the prelude....ill prob beat

the SH i heard simply means it has better suspension than a regular prelude....not more hp
i hope i heard right cuz those things are already fast enough
Old 05-24-2001, 10:53 AM

I think they're good cars but personally I would not buy one cause they're compact and can't do much in terms of mods. The MAX on the other hand would stand out more, for performance and reliability. If I'm not mistaken the WRX has a supercharger, it might last up to 4 years. Just imagine the repair cost on that thing! In a long run the MAX is a better choice. Just my 2 cents!
Old 05-24-2001, 11:15 AM

What throws me off is it's a 4 cylinder turbo--a FAST 4 cylinder turbo...reminds of all those boy-racer cars of the mid-80's (Celica AllTrac, MR2 turbo, Starion). Now if they placed their flat-6 in it and turbocharged it, then I may have considered it.

IMHO, there's no replacement for a normally aspirated V6 (this is where the Maxima plug comes in )
Old 05-24-2001, 11:18 AM

the Prelude SH and WRX

The SH Prelude has something called "Active Torque Transfer System" (ATTS) in it which controls the power and either of the front two wheels during cornering to help give the car more RWD-like cornering ability.

The WRX actually uses a turbocharger (not a supercharger), and I forget what its boost level is. Personally, I hate turbo's on street cars. To take care of them and help them last for a long time you have to always give them a cool-down idle for 1-3 minutes before shutting them down depending on how hard you were driving, and that's just a pain. It'd be fine for the track, but it sucks for street cars because nobody does that. You can put in a turbo timer to idle the engine out so that the turbo spins down while you're running into the grocery store, but that's a pain and it wreaks havoc on a lot of alarm systems... Superchargers are much better for the street like what you guys can put on your Max's.

A Prelude 5-spd will give a 5-spd Max a good run for it's money, but I think the Max has the edge. A slushbox Prelude is still pretty quick, and might have the edge on an automagic Max.

The WRX hauls... All the driver needs to do is rev up the engine to spool up the turbo and then drop the clutch and bury it and let the AWD take care of traction. They'll do high-5's/low-6's to 60mph, but the heavy AWD hardware slows them down in the 1/4 mile, but they still manage mid-14's, and I think that's better than any stock Max 5-spd.

From what I hear the aftermarket support for the WRX is realy picking up, too. But that thing is really small though - it's an Impreza. Definitely not good for toting people around, but definitely a very very fun car!
Old 05-24-2001, 01:47 PM

Good Lord!

Originally posted by yo_its_ok
WRX, my co-partner Phil @ Accurit Performance in PA is a Subaru nut job, my neighbor Rocco, he's even worse.
2.5RS bolt ons, 2.5RS w/EJ20 WRX conversion down to STi spec suspension, LSD, brakes, and 400hp.
He just got the WRX, and already has 300+hp w/ front mount intercooler, ECU upgrade from STi, freeflow intake and exhaust. Dropped on TEIN Coilovers. G-Tech says it run 0-60 in 4.9 seconds 1320 in 13's
Any questions ?
Old 05-24-2001, 01:55 PM

Type SH and WRX

I raced my buddies 5 spd Prelude SH the other day and I spanked him pretty good...about 2 carlengths by 70 mph, from a dead stop and then i took him again on a rolling start. I still haven't raced a WRX...I'm looking forward to that one though. it'd kill me from a dead stop but rolling I think I'd have a good chance....
Old 05-24-2001, 03:32 PM

Re: Type SH and WRX

Originally posted by hawkdog
I still haven't raced a WRX...I'm looking forward to that one though. it'd kill me from a dead stop but rolling I think I'd have a good chance....
It's the other way around. You'd still have a chance from a dead stop and a rolling start. I've read that the WRX has major lag and the turbo doesn't start spooling until 3500 to 4000 RPM's.
Old 05-24-2001, 04:26 PM

I don't know if you guys read car magazines but most of mags clocked the wrx 1/4 mile to from low to mid 14's. I don't recall any stock max doing that. I also have to disagree with the guy who said that the wrx won't be easy to mod. with a boost controller and basic mods you can say bye bye. My order goes in Monday... WR blue pearl!
Old 05-24-2001, 05:19 PM

Originally posted by bcannon
One of my buddies just got a WRX wagon and he says it's really fast once the turbo kicks in. He had an IS300 before that, and he says the interior of the WRX is cheap in comparison so you don't get much in terms of comfort. He also says that the suspension is not as firm as the IS300, it feels 'top heavy,' it has lots of body roll, and its stock wheels aren't too hot. He says that it feels like a regular 4-cylinder until it gets up to 3500 RPM when the turbocharger kicks in in, and then zoom, Zoom, ZOOM! (Sorry, Mazda. )

So really all one pays for with the WRX is the powertrain.
Old 05-24-2001, 07:26 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I test drove the WRX the day before I bought my Max. It is FAST! The dealer took the first one off the truck for his personal demo. It has 1500 miles on it when I drove it. He let me get on it pretty hard. I dumped the clutch at 3500 RPM (I think the turbo starts spooling @ 3K) and there was virtually no wheelspin thanks to the AWD. The shift to second came so fast that I blew it and had to back off. Car and Driver did a full test a month or so ago and clocked a 0-60 at 5.7 seconds (I can't remember the 1/4 mile). I think this is about 1 second faster than a stock SE/AE.

There were a few things I didn't like about it:

1) It is way smaller than the Max.
2) The interior seemed cheap. No where near as nice as the Max.
3) The dealer was selling at list - @ $24500. Other dealers in the area were adding $3K. I got $3K off my AE, which only made it a couple K more than the WRX. More car for @ the same money.
4) No sunfoof - there is a structural beam in the roof above the front seat passengers.
5) It is no where near as beautiful as the Max to look at.
Old 05-24-2001, 08:10 PM

dead-stop and rolling races: Max 5-spd vs WRX

If the driver knows anything about turbo's, he'll have a very strong advantage off the line. Depending on that, the Maxima 5-spd will either win or lose off the line vs. a WRX.

If the WRX driver is an idiot
...he'll drop the clutch from just above idle with a very very weak and unboosted 2.0L engine that wouldn't have much more pep off the line than my old Camry 5-spd with 2.0L and 115HP. By the time the turbo starts ramping up at about 3500rpm (I guess) the Maxima 5-spd will have walked away on the WRX, and might not be able to recover all of the distance that he lost at the start, and the Max might be able to walk away, or in the least case hold the lead.

If the WRX driver is smart
...he'll realize two things about the WRX.

1) It's possible to spool up the turbo *before* launching by revving the engine up to around 3500-4000rpm for a few seconds so that they'll have peak torque just off of idle with their turbo now providing full boost and will be able to get a really good launch.

2) That they don't need to worry about bringing the engine back down from 3500-4000rpm to a more reasonable launching rpm because they have AWD !! Of course, that's not very good for the clutch either, but hey - they're racing and don't care! Even then they can still drop the revs a little bit to go easier on the clutch and that will still keep the turbo spooled up, but that does require rather precise timing to pull off.

Rolling Start Races

If it's not a planned race then I think the Maxima will take the cake. If you just happen to see one, and he sees you, and there's only one hole in traffic for the both of you to squeeze into just ahead, then you might be able to catch the WRX in the wrong gear and completely off of boost. You both downshift a gear and the Maxima has instant torque with its larger naturally aspirated engine, but even with the WRX downshift it'll still take a second or two for the boost to come on strong and that may be all the Max 5-spd driver needs to get that spot in traffic

If it's a planned race then you guys might be toast. In a rolling start race where you're both cruising side by side and launch after the third beep or something the WRX driver will already be in a lower gear, already on boost, and when you both launch I honestly think it'd be pretty even with a slight advantage to the WRX because it weights a little over 100lb less than the Max. It may all come down to how well you can both drive a stick shift.

In the rolling start, the WRX's AWD is no longer an asset, but rather a liability. It doesn't need the added traction of the AWD system since the race is a rolling start, and because AWD systems generally add a few hundred pounds of weight now it's just holding the WRX back.

So I think the outcome of the race would be determined by all of those factors above.
Old 05-25-2001, 09:33 AM

Originally posted by MAXAL25
I think they're good cars but personally I would not buy one cause they're compact and can't do much in terms of mods. The MAX on the other hand would stand out more, for performance and reliability. If I'm not mistaken the WRX has a supercharger, it might last up to 4 years. Just imagine the repair cost on that thing! In a long run the MAX is a better choice. Just my 2 cents!
Man.. is this a joke? Consumer Reports shows higher reliability ratings for Subie over Nissan.

The WRX is turboed, not supercharged.

The WRX is a rally proven car, no POS.

MODs... if you think there are more mods for the max than the subie... I'd love to see the mags you read. 7 point roll cage for the max, full headlight replacements, all sorts of suspension options etc etc etc, I haven't seen those for the max.

BTW incase this came across wrong, its not a flame, just an attempt to educate.
Old 05-25-2001, 10:12 AM

DITTO

Originally posted by KennyLau

So really all one pays for with the WRX is the powertrain.
I agree..and it's a hell of a lot of money to be paying for a compact car, just to prove that your a second or so faster than the next guy. I can see it if your a rally enthusiast/hobbiest but for your average person who is just toolin around on a Friday or saturday night, it's an awfully overinflated/costly way to strut your stuff. You can get way MORE car for substantially way LESS $$$$$'s
Old 05-25-2001, 10:38 AM

Re: DITTO

Originally posted by LeoB

I agree..and it's a hell of a lot of money to be paying for a compact car, just to prove that your a second or so faster than the next guy. I can see it if your a rally enthusiast/hobbiest but for your average person who is just toolin around on a Friday or saturday night, it's an awfully overinflated/costly way to strut your stuff. You can get way MORE car for substantially way LESS $$$$$'s
I agree completely the WRX and the Max are really in two different classes. If I had it to do over, I'd be in a WRX, it suits me better.
Old 05-25-2001, 11:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

With Grass Roots Motorsports getting 5.5-5.7sec to 60 out of a stock WRX, I would only put it up against a SC Max, and the Max would still loose to wheel spin. The Max would have a better chance from a roll. The quality of the WRX is still a little plasticy but it does perform very well. At 3085 lbs imagine what will happen to the WRX once we get a boost increase for the stock turbo.

Mark
Old 05-25-2001, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by MAXAL25
Its a turbocharger... and they last just fine. I've got a stock Mitsubishi turbo in my Talon and its in perfect condition and my Talon has 109k miles on it. The turbos in my 300zxTT are in perfect condition and it has 98k miles on it.

Turbo cars respond THE BEST to mods out there... because you can up the boost. Trust me; will bolt on mods that car will run mid to low 13s...for under $1500 in parts.
There are 3 catalytic converters on this car... one is IN the exhaust manifold. Remove all those restrictions and put a 3" exhaust on it... and spool up will be freaky quick. And the stock mitsubishi turbo on it (yep its a mitsubishi) runs 14psi and will most likely stay efficient until 20psi or so.

Also to respond to some of the other posters. The WRX may be AWD; that is killer off the line; but you guys claim the weight will slow it down. Well it still weighs less than you guys and makes a much larger power curve.

The WRX is nothing to screw around with.
Old 05-25-2001, 12:03 PM

Re: Re: Type SH and WRX

Originally posted by maximawanabee

It's the other way around. You'd still have a chance from a dead stop and a rolling start. I've read that the WRX has major lag and the turbo doesn't start spooling until 3500 to 4000 RPM's.
it doesn't matter when they launch at 6000rpms and don't spin

benefits of AWD

my Talon knows this too
Old 05-25-2001, 12:27 PM

hey Bean...

Originally posted by Bean
Its a turbocharger... and they last just fine. I've got a stock Mitsubishi turbo in my Talon and its in perfect condition and my Talon has 109k miles on it. The turbos in my 300zxTT are in perfect condition and it has 98k miles on it.
Since you've got a lot of experience with turbo engines you'd be the guy to ask. Do you let your turbo'ed cars do a "spin down idle" for a minute or so before you shut off the engine to allow the turbo to cool? Do you run synthetic motor oils?? Have you had to replace oil feed lines at all? I'm just curious. My knowledge on turbo care is "book knowledge" only so I could learn a couple of things from you
Old 05-25-2001, 06:28 PM

Originally posted by maximawanabee
What throws me off is it's a 4 cylinder turbo--a FAST 4 cylinder turbo...reminds of all those boy-racer cars of the mid-80's (Celica AllTrac, MR2 turbo, Starion). Now if they placed their flat-6 in it and turbocharged it, then I may have considered it.

IMHO, there's no replacement for a normally aspirated V6 (this is where the Maxima plug comes in )
but still though, the fastest stock car in Japan is a 4 cylinder and it kicks skyline off the no.1 position.
Old 05-26-2001, 12:30 AM

Re: hey Bean...

in all actuality; 99% of turbo owners don't do that... the spin down idle... i do once in a while; especially after a really hard run or something... but most Jap turbocars are overbuilt so much they don't really need it unless the car was just ragged to hell and back...

I LOVE turbos... extremely efficient and they make tons of power... way more than superchargers can...
but people who badmouth turbos are usually people who only say something bad about them because their friend has a friend who had a friend that owned one that had 200k miles on it and it died... well DUH
turbos on the street are the replacement for displacement because the majority of races happen on a roll... all you do is click down a gear and there's your power... TONS of power... nothing like having a turbo spool sound coming from your engine and slamming your head back into the head rest as it pulls harder and harder then when you press the clutch in you get a nice PFFSSSHHHTTTT from the blow-off valve

oil feed lines? nah never had to; there are upgraded lines to use on upgraded turbos however... but only because those turbos require larger oil flow
and I ALWAYS run synthetic motor oil... there is no point NOT to run it if you will be racing your car... it withstands heat extremely well and never loses viscosity unless your filter just SUCKS hehe...

and to the post above this:
the FASTEST production car in Japan is NOT a 4cyl... the QUICKEST Jap car is a 4-cyl and is the Lancer EVO VI i believe... it runs a 12.9... the R34 Skylines run 13.0s...
but the key here is the Skylines top speed is well over 160mph
the EVO VI top speed is like 135mph... its geared big time... it gets there hella quick...
but the FASTEST car is the R34 Skyline or the Toyota Supra I believe...

and to whoever made this statement: there's no replacement for a normally aspirated V6
thats another dumb thing to add to my list...
first off... unless you weigh almost nothing there's nothing special about a normally aspirated anything except for like big V8s and other big engines in general
sorry but a low 15s 1/4 mile is NOT fast... in fact its quite slow...
the replacement for a N/A V6 is a turbocharged 4-cyl...
take my Talon engine for example bone stock...
DOHC 2.0L 4-cyl Turbo (4G63)... 195hp and 200ft/lbs of torque... thats at 10psi... put a 3" turboback exhaust, intake, boost controller, and bigger fuel pump and run 18psi of boost and you're touching about 320-330hp... about 275awhp... in my car that will equate to low 13s...
13.1s or 13.2 at like 98mph
Let's see your N/A V6 get a power increase like that for < $1000 in mods...
or take an MR2 turbo... exhaust, intake, boost controller and fuel pump, 17psi... low 13s... at like 103-105mph... on a car that ran high 14s stock...
Old 11-24-2001, 12:43 AM
ABS

Really interesting thread . . .

I have a friend who recently bought the WRX. He really wanted me to get one too. I spent a huge amount of time researching the car. When it came right down to it, I decided the car was too small and "cheap" feeling in the interior. Also, the car didnt feel all that solid. I spent about 2 hours driving the car one day.

The suspension setup is really good. You can just gun the engine through turns and its like "point and shoot", the car just goes. There is a lot of sidewall roll though - the car should really have 17" rims. Even though 0-60 times are good, according to a recent article in R&T or C&D (I forgot which) the highway passing times aren't that good for the REX. The BMW 330XI, for example is much faster at highway speeds. I would guess that a stock 2K2 Maxima would loose to a stock REX when racing at a street light, but that a stock WRX would loose on the highway. Also note that the REX is highly tweakable. For under $600 owners can increase boost with an EBC and use an AFC to change fuel/air delivery - and get 260+ HP. Piggy back ECU and exhaust gets high 200's. Intercooler, new ECU, uprated fuel injectors and upgraded turbo is well into the 300's if not close to 400. From what I've read, the stock engines mechanicals can't really take more than that, and neither can the standard tranny. There are "dog" tranny's than can handle even more HP though.

The engine has been around for many years, notably in Australia and Europe and is supposed to be very reliable. The body is only about two years old (relatively new) but was designed with the help of professional Rally teams so it should be structurally VERY solid.

Needless to say, the radio is crap, no leather, head rests are flimsy and the doors are very lightweight with no frame around the windows.

Finally, my recommendation is to be extremely careful racing the REX since it is likely to be modded and will probably defeat you in wet or dry weather - just my 2 cents!

Andy
Old 11-24-2001, 12:58 AM

I hear quite the opposite, that no one has managed to get better than mid 12s out of the WRXs...

they have responded pretty poorly to mods and the trannies are very very weak... weaker than their rival DSM trannies...

i hear 15-16psi is the maximum amount of boost you can run on the stock turbo, not to mention its a VERY small 13g, and 14.7psi being the stock boost...i doubt that 260+hp is possible with a stock turbo... maybe 250 tops since the awhp vs bhp rating is overrated first off...

they make around 210bhp after figuring in drivetrain losses... supposed to be a couple built ones coming out, but in recent magazine articles where its a modded WRX comparo, no one got better than a mid 12, which is with a pretty big turbo and a bunch of other stuff... which is pathetic imo...

0-60 in 5.4s is pretty good stock in my book tho, Motortrend AND C&D got that... a new 255hp Maxima would probably not be able to take one to 80mph, after that it'd be damned close; but i'm pretty sure the WRX would take the 1/4 with the maxima passing it not too much later... I saw clips of motortrend taking a 2k2 altima v6 to 14.4 @ 100mph, so maybe the maxima is faster, but dyno numbers that i've seen tell me its the same damn motor just with different "official" ratings
Old 11-24-2001, 01:17 AM
JET Speed Lab

i tried to race on tonight.. i was up front and saw him coming so i couldnt get into gear quick enough, he pulled on me hard, but he was already going at a fast speed.. like i was going 30 and he was already up to 50, but his turbo sounded swwweeet
Old 11-24-2001, 01:27 AM
ABS

To be honest, I'm not sure what the fastest 1/4 mile times are, but most of what I was talking about came from the I-Club.Com forums. Also, in England is the bbs.ScoobyNet.co.uk forum. The horsepower I was describing was at the flywheel, not at the wheels. Also, 260 HP is possible with stock turbos, 16-17 PSI gets you really close, then add an intake and the Unichip piggy back ECU and you are pretty much there . . . FYI, the STI version of the REX has that much power . . . Also, I was also talking about cars with upgraded turbos. Trust me 350-400 HP REX's do exist . . . I agree that the transmissions probably can't handle that much power, but then there are upgrades to the transmissions which use "dog" gears. These tranny's have no synchros, just extra wide gears, to handle the additional power. I believe that many rally cars have these tranny's. If you want to read more about upgrade options, I have loads of links you could review (a good starting point is www.i-club.com) . . . just let me know.
Old 11-24-2001, 11:21 AM

I almost purchase a WRX. I thought about selling off my mods and trade in the Max. However, due to my financial situation, it was no possible. Anyway, I took a test drive of the WRX and it was really fun to drive, can't say the same about my automagic Maxima. Stock wise, it's not that powerful. However, a stock WRX vs. a stock Maxima, the WRX clearly blows the doors off the Maxima. The aftermarket support for the WRX is growing. If I could do it, I would trade in the Maxima in a heartbeat. Oh well...guess I'll have to wait until I finish school.
Old 11-24-2001, 11:22 AM

Someone call Accurit in here... or Alfriedesq.

Both are Subaru nut jobs.

12 something in a MY02 WRX by alfriedesq.

Stock, they aren't too fast, I held one off w/ "confused."

However, Mr. Confused spanked that WRX so hard, it was funny. After 110, its over, WRX's drivetrain lag adds up.
You guys are missing a few things. Most people don't want to rev the engine to 4k and pop the clutch. I have a friend at work who refuses to do that. When I get my 2002 6 speed and race him I will win because he won't drop the clutch. It's the same kinda thing as most S2000 owners. Most of them won't slip the clutch with the engine rev'd to 8k.

WRX tranny's are not that solid. Neither is the stock turbo. They've got the turbo set so the waste gate opens slowly in the upper RPM. Instead of holding 1 bar the whole way up to the red line is starts to back off and you lose all the power until you shift again and the RPMs drop.

I know someone else who chipped their WRX. The only thing they changed was the waste gate so the car would make 1 bar of boost the whole way to the redline. After a few thousand miles he had to get his first and second gears replaced "due to excessive wear". That guy knows how to drive. It's pretty sad if the tranny can't hold up to the full 1 bar of boost at the redline. Chipping it in such a way only adds about 35-40HP. Guess they're running the tranny near it's limit.

Stereodude
Old 11-24-2001, 11:54 AM

yes they do sound pretty sweet... that flat-4 engine sounds awsome too... nothing like an inline-4 at all
Old 11-24-2001, 12:09 PM

yeah the only tranny that is decently strong is the STi tranny...

i still don't think 260hp is possible... you'll get maybe a 15hp gain from raising the boost, and maybe 15 with a cat-back and midpipe... then another 10hp with replacing the exhaust manifold with one that has no cats in it... thats still only 250hp from the true 210hp that they actually make... i doubt an ECU would do much... there's just not much to do... with an upgraded turbo 260hp+ is possible

now don't get me wrong... 250hp should be good for mid 13s... hopefully the aftermarket (especially the drivetrain aftermarket) will grow for this car like it has for the DSM group..
Old 11-25-2001, 01:03 AM

The WRX engine/drivetrain is already being pushed to it's limit!

Sure, there are smaller engines that make twice the power, (blah, blah, blah) but they also have to be rebuilt by hand every week!
Go ahead and mod the WRX, add a larger Turbo/IC, add a boost controller, turn it up to 20 PSI, go around and street race while dropping the clutch at 4000 RPM with 400 HP and SEE HOW LONG YOUR CAR LASTS!

By the way, don't even think about going to the dealer to get repairs under warranty and try to argue that the aftermarket hella-turbo 2000 running 20 psi of boost didn't cause the drivetrain to self destruct.

The Maxima engine, on the other hand, has a lot of room to grow until it runs out of steam.

And you can't get HIDs on the Subie. Max for me.

But if you want to spend $25,000 and spank most of what you come across, the WRX will do nicely. But to expect to mod it out for only a few grand and get 400 HP and still drive it on a daily basis is a pipe dream.
Old 11-25-2001, 02:12 AM

The WRX is a good bang for the buck, if you are looking for that kind of vehicle. I wanted more room for my passengers, and a more stable ride. The Maxima is slower, and can't do rally races like the WRX.
There is a WRX in my neighborhood and we don't bother each other. I know his car will go faster, especially in incremental weather. He knows my car is more comfortable and stylish.
Old 11-26-2001, 04:50 PM
You're Faster, I'm Better

just an fyi

just to let you guys know, I have had personal experience with the WRX from a stop and a roll. From a stop, I had my car a week and had not learned the art of manual shifting, he beat me by a fender. good race. the WRX's have bad lag unless you dump them at 4k+. On the freeway, if you catch them off guard and they have to down shift, it's a cake walk...actually it's no contest. doing the 3 horn beep thingie he will take you till about 100~110. on the freeway they scoot, you really have to wind out 3rd(automagic) all the way to 120 to be able to catch and beat him, at those speeds and when the tranny goes into 4th the WRX can't keep up. it peters around 115~120, given enough room maybe 125. I have to say though, the WRX's are the most fun to play with because so much depends on the driver it always makes for a good race
Old 11-26-2001, 06:15 PM

Originally posted by Bean
...Also to respond to some of the other posters. The WRX may be AWD; that is killer off the line; but you guys claim the weight will slow it down. Well it still weighs less than you guys and makes a much larger power curve...

Yes, the WRX weigh less, but they also put out less HP stock.

The AWD IS A LIABILITY against acceleration after the launch, not just because of the added weight, but also the drivetrain losses and friction.

And if I am going to have a daily driver that is fast AND reliable, I would much rather have a 3.5 liter engine making 400 HP than a 2 liter trying to push 350 HP.
Old 11-26-2001, 06:34 PM

without being Bias..

I too will take a normally aspired car over a turbo. For example, I will take a BMW over a similar Audi (eg. 325 over the A4 T1.8, and M3 over the S4). I had a 87 Toyota Supra Turbo before and my friend has an late 90's Intrepid. Yeah I might be able to go first then her but when we were going uphill the Supra Turbo had to spin, and on a long hill that is not a good thing. I have to take it easy on the pedal every 8 seconds to give it a rest.
Old 11-26-2001, 06:45 PM

i'll take a turbo car over N/A anyday... there's nowhere to go with all motor... turbo engines are generally built stronger, usually with forged bottom ends... they can handle extreme hp levels, and they are usually built to handle a turbo

This is Nissan's aftermarket performance problem... the VG30DETT motor can only go so far... the VQ has no turbo application yet so i'm not aware of its limits, and the RB26 was made to have a turbo... hence why it can make 1400hp with a little 2.6L motor...

my 2jz in my lexus was built to use a turbo... thats why i can bolt on a $3500 turbo kit and make 450rwhp on stock compression...

you boys that like N/A instead of turbo have probably never ridden in a car like a BPU Supra or a Stage IV+ 300zxTT, etc...
go take a ride, you'll change your mind

and go ride in a 400hp AWD DSM, you'll change your mind
Old 11-27-2001, 01:29 PM

just 400-450 on a stock block? my old Talon TSI AWD could do that

My sc300 will hold over 650rwhp...

the vg30dett motor handled MUCH more power than the VQ motor it seems

13.5s is nice N/A... for all that money you could have had a 2jz motor car in the 10s and just as streetable

but thats without any titanium components under the hood... in fact Toyomoto's Supra made 777rwhp after a 70hp shot of NOS with stock head/cams, bottom-end, etc... just a VPC and a single turbo
I see no VQ or VG motors making this kind of power...

VQ motors are quite weak if they can only handle 400-450hp... perhaps its the open-decked design or something... but the SR20DE inside the current SE can handle more power than that

as for long-time high-hp reliability, i guess thats not to be expected from anything except a Toyota engine (or Nissan's rb26)
Old 11-27-2001, 04:46 PM

Yeah I don't like Supras either, mainly the arizona crowd...

but the engine is undeniably the best turbo motor in the US (thats readily available)... hell $6500 for a PHR stage 2 kit that will make 675rwhp... where else can you make THAT much power?

if you're happy with 13s i guess all motor is ok

I want the traps to do 10s...
Old 11-27-2001, 05:12 PM

does the Supras from the fast and the furious is something like what you guys talking about?
Old 11-27-2001, 06:09 PM

10s ? CRX w/ turbo B16A/B18B Hybrid...it can be done
Is that what SCCA runs?
Old 11-27-2001, 06:19 PM

no i meant without slicks... 10s at 140+mph

Quick Reply: WRX: 2 near my work