5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Need a fast response!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 10:36 AM

Need a fast response!!!

my tranny was slipping for about a month now and my car has been undriveable for about 2 weeks now...

my question is, if i take out my transmission, toss it to the side and put in another Maxima transmission from another junked car.... will it be a plug and play installation and will it fix my problem? thanks

please resond asap, i need to tell the guy if i am going to get the tranny...

my car: 2000 GXE, 68K miles
donor car: 2000 GLE 5K miles tranny price $650

thanks again
Old 08-25-2005, 10:40 AM

if you know for sure that it's your tranny, then yes, it should fix your problem. just remember that it's never as easy as you think it is.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:40 AM

Fast

j/k it should work pending auto or manual, but our advice is not really important at this point
Old 08-25-2005, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by AcerX
Fast

j/k it should work pending auto or manual, but our advice is not really important at this point
i was askig for a fast AND HELPFUL resonse....
Old 08-25-2005, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by FriscoMaxima
i was askig for a fast AND HELPFUL resonse....
I would be wary of installing the tranny of a junked car without having someone take a look at it first.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:01 AM

I would be wary of installing the tranny of a junked car without having someone take a look at it first.
my car is really messed up right now... my DRIVE gear only accelerates me half as fast as a cruising civic... my REVERSE doesn't work at all...

i am planning to pick up that "new/used" transmission tommorow. if anyone knows the most basic things i need to watch out for please let me know. i know that buying that transmission is risky, but i just do not have $2000 to go to the dealer and get mine rebuilt... any helpful input will be appreciated... thanks guys
Old 08-25-2005, 11:09 AM

my car is really messed up right now... my DRIVE gear only accelerates me half as fast as a cruising civic... my REVERSE doesn't work at all...

i am planning to pick up that "new/used" transmission tommorow. if anyone knows the most basic things i need to watch out for please let me know. i know that buying that transmission is risky, but i just do not have $2000 to go to the dealer and get mine rebuilt... any helpful input will be appreciated... thanks guys

Before you have the tranny installed, check the teeth and make sure they look alright, also take a look at the clutch and pressure plate to look for signs of misuse.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:23 AM
Play with my balls

Before you have the tranny installed, check the teeth and make sure they look alright, also take a look at the clutch and pressure plate to look for signs of misuse.
i thought he had an auto.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:23 AM

How the hell do you expect ANYONE to be able to answer a question like that with the limited information you gave?
Old 08-25-2005, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Bones45
How the hell do you expect ANYONE to be able to answer a question like that with the limited information you gave?
i said i have an AUTOMATIC in my first post... all i want to know what i should check for (visual/mechanical) before i buy that AUTOMATIC tranny... thanks
Old 08-25-2005, 11:28 AM
Play with my balls

will it fix my problem?

i'm not sure who on here will be able to give you a definative answer on that one. it's a car, it could be a number of things. try the tranny swap first, then you let us know if that fixed your problem.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hopefully you will be able to see the wrecked car your tranny is coming from. One of the main reasons my 02 was totalled was because the tranny was damaged pretty good. Front end collison.....Best advise would to see what kinda damaged the donor car took and then take it from there....
Old 08-25-2005, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by boondoxmax
Hopefully you will be able to see the wrecked car your tranny is coming from. One of the main reasons my 02 was totalled was because the tranny was damaged pretty good. Front end collison.....Best advise would to see what kinda damaged the donor car took and then take it from there....
one more question.... will i have to change the torque convertor too, or is it ok to use the one i have on a car right now? thanks.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:29 AM

Here is your reasonable response.

1) Most reasonable people tear down, inspect, and rebuild used transmissions before putting them in their car.

2) What to watch out for? At your point everything. You will have leaks and problems if you do not rebuild that tranny like it should be. The tranny is in a junkyard for a reason.

3) I am trying to figure out why you are asking for advice? You have already decided to fix your car the wrong way.

You are on your own kid, nobody here can save you. So go now, go find you way, go install that wrecked tranny.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by mdloops
Here is your reasonable response.

1) Most reasonable people tear down, inspect, and rebuild used transmissions before putting them in their car.

2) What to watch out for? At your point everything. You will have leaks and problems if you do not rebuild that tranny like it should be. The tranny is in a junkyard for a reason.

3) I am trying to figure out why you are asking for advice? You have already decided to fix your car the wrong way.

You are on your own kid, nobody here can save you. So go now, go find you way, go install that wrecked tranny.
once again i am amazed at how much useless junk some people can write...

1) if you consider yourself as one of the MOST REASONABLE PEOPLE, maybe you'd want to give me another $1400 to go to a shop and get my transmission done there. My maxima is my only car, i ahve to work for it adn pay my college tuitions...

2) If you do not have anything SPECIFIC to tell me about what to watch out for, then do not bother staying in this thread and contaminating cyberspace... keep it moving to another thread that you can help people with, like blue blinkers or fake blow-off valves for N/A cars...

3) if you read my first post with both your eyes, it would become clear to you that i have to tell the guy IF i want the tranny OR NOT. i id not make up my mind on anything, that's why i asked for advice. and if you cannot answer my question, do not ask me any new ones.

i am sure that no one here can save me, but i found some people to be very helpful on this forum... and you sure as hell not one of them. just stop posting bulls%&T comments to rasite your post count and seem to have higher seniority and experience than the rest of the people...
Old 08-26-2005, 12:02 PM

Don't reuse your old torque converter, it will most likly be full of trash from the failed trans. Use the one that came with the used trans. I would reccommend that you at least pull the pan and check for debris in the donor trans. If is is reasonable clean put a new filter and gasket in and give it a try. Used transmissions are alway a gamble but if the internals are at least clean you stand a chance of it working.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by jyardog
Don't reuse your old torque converter, it will most likly be full of trash from the failed trans. Use the one that came with the used trans. I would reccommend that you at least pull the pan and check for debris in the donor trans. If is is reasonable clean put a new filter and gasket in and give it a try. Used transmissions are alway a gamble but if the internals are at least clean you stand a chance of it working.
THANK YOU!!! at least one helpful person who actually gave me some useful input. thanks man
Old 08-26-2005, 12:39 PM

I GAVE you the CORRECT WAY to do it and you tell me it is useless garbage? I am not even offended at this point yet amazed. So let me get this straight you ask us for the correct way to do things, I tell you, and in turn you attack me and tell me I am typing useless garbage? I guess the answer to your question is useless garbage?

I will disregard everything you said because just a few years ago you were in diapers. I told you what needed to be done. You cannot ask for help on this forum yet tell off everybody who does not give you the exact answer (right or wrong) you wanted to hear.

1) Most people will use the transmission that they already have and replace the worn parts from the doner tranny. This is how it is done PROPERLY and this is the only way to do IMO. From there you replace with all new seals and gaskets.

This is the correct method to follow. I think if you are to stay on here you better learn to listen to the advice that you asked for and not flame everybody who doesn't give you the exact answer you were looking for. YOU ASKED FOR OUT ADVICE, so if you do not want people to give their opinion DO NOT START THE THREAD.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:02 PM

Frisco..enough..

If you re-read your first post....you will see you get the exact type of answers you deserve. Dumb first posts will give you dumb responses.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:13 PM

I've done this several times in the past. As long as you know that the transmissions are the same (as far as I know, every automatic Maxima of the same year has the exact same tranny).

I second the idea of pulling the pan off and checking for obvious debris. The transmission is definitely in the junkyard for a reason, but that reason is rarely damage to the transmission. If it's not damaged, then I'd probably trust it about as much as you trust any Maxima automatic tranny. The real drawback is that there's no telling how long it's been sitting and that's not great for the seals - wouldn't hurt to put the ones on that you can get to (since you can't afford to send it to a shop for a complete rebuild). If you don't know how to do that, maybe you should be getting help for the transmission replacement too, for your own good.
Old 08-27-2005, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Bones45
Frisco..enough..

If you re-read your first post....you will see you get the exact type of answers you deserve. Dumb first posts will give you dumb responses.

My question was..... "will it be a plug and play installation?"

Now look at all the garbage i got...

No offence to guys who really came up with some useful answers and info. thank you.
Old 08-27-2005, 12:11 PM

I would ask why the donor car is in the junkyard at only 5k miles? Most likely it is not tranny related, but you have nothing to lose asking.

Other than that, I would say this is your best bet:

Originally Posted by jyardog
Good luck and report back if it fixes the problem or not.