5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Knocking and Pinging!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 12:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Knocking and Pinging!!!

I have a 2k2 auto w/65,000. I recently had the fuel injection serviced by the dealer and my car still knocks and pings. I only use supreme from either Chevron, 76, and Shell to no avail. My car doesn't hesitate at all, so it can be the MAF. Has anyone had this promblem? I even tried octane booster and that didn't help..... PLEASE HELP
Old 08-30-2005, 12:56 PM
Driving is the next best thing

It could be the MAF, but in order to know for sure go to AutoZone and ask them to scan your car with OBDII scanner (they do it for free)
Old 08-30-2005, 12:56 PM

This seems to be a re-occuring problem with a lot of maxima's. Have you tried calling Nissan Corp at 1-800-647-7261. They are suprisingly very helpful and seem to actually care about customer satisfaction unlike the dealership
Old 08-30-2005, 01:33 PM

I called the 800 number and a local rep is suppose to give me a call tomorrow.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:39 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

Nissan HELPFUL?.... WHAT? Since when.....
Old 08-30-2005, 03:41 PM

it could be the maf. a/z's scanner isnt a scanner, its a code reader. you need something that can check the fuel trims.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:52 PM
Z

I don't see how a MAF could cause pinging. I think most people would recommend bringing the spark plugs down a step colder.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:09 PM

lean condition?
Old 08-30-2005, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by NYPD-Arnold
I don't see how a MAF could cause pinging. I think most people would recommend bringing the spark plugs down a step colder.
If there is nothing wrong with your engine you wouldnt need to use colder spark plugs, unless the ones you have now are the hot kind. Do you have any mods?
Old 08-30-2005, 10:25 PM

No mods, my car is stock except for a drop in K&N air filter. Could I have a faulty knock sensor? How would a faulty MAF cause my engine to knock and ping? The car runs like a champ except for the knocking. I feel like there is permanent engine damage because of this. I do have an extended warranty that pretty covers everything. What should I have the mechanic check first.... any advice is much appreciated....
Old 08-31-2005, 07:50 AM

See what the 800 number Nissan tech guy comes up with...Its a lot easier going to the dealership with "Nissan advise" than with your own conclusions. I've fought with these guys too much. Don't forget to post the results
Old 08-31-2005, 08:42 AM

If you have extended warranty then why didnt you take it to the dealer yet?
Old 08-31-2005, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by NYPD-Arnold

No experience on the maxima... but i know Zetecs engine inside-out and K&Ns filters would dirt the MAF and cause BAD pinging. Literally. It would read wrong air flow and inject improper mixture. I have the OBD-II setup and I checked it myself against the OBD-II and Ford's calibration numbers.

So i assume the principle is the same on every car and therefore I would say it COULD be the MAF on the Maximas also.

Later
Old 08-31-2005, 09:15 AM

I did take it to the dealership and they recommended a fuel injection service which I did. They also told me to use nothing but supreme from the top tier manufacturers. The service temporarily stopped the knocking, but it came back after a few weeks. I will take it back in and will post the results. Just out of curiosity how does K&N air filters dirty the MAF and cause the pinging?
Old 08-31-2005, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by csmoot
Just out of curiosity how does K&N air filters dirty the MAF and cause the pinging?

I dunno if u asking this because of my statement, but on the Zetec engine the K&N is located right before the MAF sensor... and these aftermarket cone filters are OILED, and thats the connection!

The oil from the filter goes to the sensor. Once cleaned, the car runs nicely again. Only problem is cleaning the MAF... some had problems finding the right cleaner and the MAF never had proper readings again.

and keep in mind i am talking about Zetecs... where the K&N is located right there by the MAF. I just got my Maxima and havent even looked to mod it yet. I have no idea where the MAF is located and things like that.

Later
Old 08-31-2005, 03:40 PM

same as a zetec...

all the oil from the air filter hits the maf and contaminates it, but were using a bosch HFM5, which are failure prone, so i wouldnt go blaming the filter just yet.

though ive NEVER had to replace a MAF on a stock zetec.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:20 PM

hummm, what kind of cleaner and where to get it to clean the maf? I felt a little knock & ping since I had the iridium plugs & K&N filter (in stock box), want to try see maf had anything to do with it, otherwise return the troble expensive filter and stick with paper filter.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:42 AM

This problrm has sure has been around a while. I have an 03 that had the same problem. It hasn't been a problem for a LONG time untill I recently switched to 89 octane gas to save a couple of bucks.... BIG mistake because it's back. I will switch back to the Exxon/Mobile 93 that I've been buying at the same station.and hope it goes away. Used BP/Ammaco before and it worked. I was told by a Nissan tech that the Maximas new and old are notorious for carbon build up; he suggested getting out on the highway and romping on it every so often. Since you're in CA I don't know what kind of funky stuff they put in the gas out there but try to find a gas station that after you fill it up you don't hear it (if possible) and stick with that place. My .02 and good luck because I've been there. Also, the suggestion from NYPD-Arnold of colder plugs may be an option too.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:41 AM

Recently i switched to 89 on my 03 GLE, should i switch back to 93. Does it really matters. Please advise. Thanks
Old 09-02-2005, 07:48 AM
Banned

Is is more like a rattle than an actual knock sound? If so, check your oil level.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:26 AM

Maybe a bad anti-knock sensor? Does it go away if you reset the ECU?
Old 09-02-2005, 03:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Same problem with my Maxima 2000. I used the regular Gas for a while, but now just use Shell V power 93 grade. Still sometimes, it pings a lot! Very frustrated when it does that. No other problems, but dont know what to do.. It has 67K miles in it. please let me know if you went back to the dealer or any luck with 93 grade !
Thanks
Old 09-02-2005, 06:00 PM
Fortuna Favet Fortibus

What if you only get a metallic rattle at around 2k rpms? And more noticeably on hotter, muggier days and usually no matter what the temp it appears on inclines. Do you think this spark plug convo applies to this?

Thanks,

Link
Old 09-02-2005, 06:16 PM

could be heat shield.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:56 PM
Fortuna Favet Fortibus

Originally Posted by BewstAdd1ct
could be heat shield.

I am thinking that I might have to go from the 16 advance down to 15 or maybe back to the stock 14. The noise is definitely more malignant when I take the SAFC out of the mix. It will make the noise louder and on flat terrain when the SAFC is not correcting. My dyno guys helped tune most of it out but I kinda think I am squirting too much gas in and maybe that will foul the injectors or the engine.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:26 PM

My engine also pings btwn 2-3k RPM under moderate load. It's been happening for 3 years now, to the point where I can predict when it's going to happen. Annoying. I'm also at 16 deg advance, BTW.

There were some recent threads about using an oil catch can to reduce how much oil gets into the IM and hence your air/fuel mixture. I haven't read the threads in detail, but supposedly this mod has the potential for reducing pinging. It's something I plan to look at and maybe try once I get some time.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:18 PM

Mine was doing the same thing and threw a P1320 code for faulty coils. I've already had the coils replaced once, but it sounds like I'm going to be getting them from Dave B again.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:28 PM
Fortuna Favet Fortibus

Do you know what the coils actually do or fail to do to cause the noise? I just hit 60k in my car so they might be due but I definitely did not notice that noise before I started screwing with the motor.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:21 PM

I can't beleive how many of us have this problem. Hopefully when I take it in this week, I can get it resolved and post the results here.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:28 PM
VQ Wizard

Mine only pings at WOT when tuned to 13.8:1 with 90º+ outside temps, still using 93 octane. When that happens I simply richen it up a bit (<13.5) and it goes away. This last batch of Shell 93 I got seems to be the worst of them all. I have gotten away with 87 octane not doing this.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:30 PM

I have a 2k2 auto w/65,000. I recently had the fuel injection serviced by the dealer and my car still knocks and pings. I only use supreme from either Chevron, 76, and Shell to no avail. My car doesn't hesitate at all, so it can be the MAF. Has anyone had this promblem? I even tried octane booster and that didn't help..... PLEASE HELP
Try a 20oz bottle of the Chevron Techron additive. It's around $6.99 at a Chevron but you can find it cheaper at Pepboys or Walmart. It's good stuff and really cleans out those carbon deposits which is probably contributing to your detonation. Maybe try one every other tank and then once ever 2,000-3,000 miles. Today's gas likes to leave lots of carbon deposits.

Dave
Old 09-04-2005, 10:31 PM
VQ Wizard

Originally Posted by MadMaxNH
I am thinking that I might have to go from the 16 advance down to 15 or maybe back to the stock 14. The noise is definitely more malignant when I take the SAFC out of the mix. It will make the noise louder and on flat terrain when the SAFC is not correcting. My dyno guys helped tune most of it out but I kinda think I am squirting too much gas in and maybe that will foul the injectors or the engine.
If you attempted to tune anything below 40% throttle then you've wasted your time. Unless your fuel trims were already at maximum rich, in which case you'd have a severe air metering problem.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by SEDaveMax
Try a 20oz bottle of the Chevron Techron additive. It's around $6.99 at a Chevron but you can find it cheaper at Pepboys or Walmart. It's good stuff and really cleans out those carbon deposits which is probably contributing to your detonation. Maybe try one every other tank and then once ever 2,000-3,000 miles. Today's gas likes to leave lots of carbon deposits.

Dave
Are you serious? I had the fuel injection(3 stage process) serviced by the dealer which is far greater than pouring some Chevron additive. BTW, I do use Chevron supreme gas and it doesn't help. I've tried every additive know to man and none of them work....
Old 09-05-2005, 12:10 AM

Are you serious? I had the fuel injection(3 stage process) serviced by the dealer which is far greater than pouring some Chevron additive. BTW, I do use Chevron supreme gas and it doesn't help. I've tried every additive know to man and none of them work....
It worked on my 02 Max with 76k miles. My buddy is a tech for GMC/Pontiac/Buick and alot of the late model trucks with the 5.3 piston slap from carbon build up during cold start ups for the 1st few mins. They are instructed to use Wynn's power charge fuel system cleaner (highest percentage of techron additive) and that takes care of the piston slap until the carbon builds up again. The Chevron techron additive is the highest percentage you can buy on the shelf. I don't think California's 91 is a high enough octane for the Maxima's and the carbon build up is only making things worse. Be careful some of the octane boosters because some of them leave that red film on your plugs and o2's.

Dave
Old 09-05-2005, 08:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I am still continuing 93 octane. As someone pointed above, it pings between 2K - 3K rpm usually with moderate load, only we press on gas, it pings for a while and disappears. and very predictable.. somewhere I read that damage is cumulative- any thoughts about that anyone ?? Thanks for the responses.. Good to see different thoughts.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:15 PM

Try cleaning the MAF with a Q-tip and some rubbing alcohol. Worked for me.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by crsri
I am still continuing 93 octane. As someone pointed above, it pings between 2K - 3K rpm usually with moderate load, only we press on gas, it pings for a while and disappears. and very predictable.. somewhere I read that damage is cumulative- any thoughts about that anyone ?? Thanks for the responses.. Good to see different thoughts.
This would be the low rpm ping a lot of us (including myself) have. I found that adding a catch can solved my problem (if someone can link it in). Oil from the PCV is returned to the intake manifold to be reburned. Oil lowers octane causing a ping. PCV return is greatest under low throttle. I added a can to catch the oil and return the gases to the intake manifold. It seems to have worked.

High RPM ping is a different problem all together.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:41 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 2002 Maxima SE
This would be the low rpm ping a lot of us (including myself) have. I found that adding a catch can solved my problem (if someone can link it in). Oil from the PCV is returned to the intake manifold to be reburned. Oil lowers octane causing a ping. PCV return is greatest under low throttle. I added a can to catch the oil and return the gases to the intake manifold. It seems to have worked.

High RPM ping is a different problem all together.
Replacing my PCV valve made a huge difference; pinging stopped in addition to better overall performance. Sucker was clogged badly. You're at that higher mileage point where it probably can use replacing no matter what.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by dvanorder
Replacing my PCV valve made a huge difference; pinging stopped in addition to better overall performance. Sucker was clogged badly. You're at that higher mileage point where it probably can use replacing no matter what.
I did mine at 29k, it made no difference. Believe me, I tried everything before fixing it with a catch can.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:54 AM
ABS

You could also try to alter your base timing advance by going to a Nissan dealer and setting it with the Consult II. I think my car is set at 14 degrees and I don't get the pinging . . . Spec is 15 degrees and some people have advanced there's up to 17 degrees . . .

Quick Reply: Knocking and Pinging!!!