5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Time for a new Automatic transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 04:52 AM

Time for a new Automatic transmission?

Oh man! My 2000 Maxima has been giving me grief. Every week or two the car all of a sudden slows down to around 20 mph, regardless of how much gas I give it. It will not go faster than the 20 mph. So I turn the damn thing off, restart it and all is well. Except that the CEL gets thrown on. Every time this happens, I take it to the Stealer, who tells me there is nothing wrong with the transmission. Stealer says the "speed sensor" has tripped the CEL, but the speed sensor is OK because it is not a "hard code". This happened the other day and the Stealer told me the same thing. This time stealer said they suspect the transmission is about to totally fail. This Max has been taken care of and has 91K miles on her. The tranny has been recently serviced and had the 30K, 60K and the recent 90K maintanance done. So I tell the stealer that I cannot live with an unreliable car, my wife and kid drive it primarly. How much to fix, repair or replace the tranny? They say that they don't repair the tranny, they put new refurbished ones in to the tune of $3,000. Do I smell a rat or is this reasonable? Help!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-01-2005, 07:38 AM

Any suggestion? Buy another Max or fix/replace the tranny?
Old 09-01-2005, 11:02 AM
scopium

3000 is about right.. from a dealer.. with these kinda of things.. u dont want to go cheap with it.. since they will warranty your tranny when they install it..

also.. i doubt its the tranny.. since the signs of tranny failure is slipping / hard shifting
and delayed shifting..

Old 09-01-2005, 11:26 AM

Doubt it is the tranny? What else could be causing this? The stealer did the 90K service around 5000 miles ago. The stealer said the tranny fluid does not look like it should with such few miles on it. Said it was turning browinsh.
I talked to the mechanic personally. He said bring it in when this happens again and he might have more data to determine the cause. The mechanic said he was not ready to declare the tranny bad just yet. He needs to have this happen when he has it. Of course that will never happen
Old 09-01-2005, 11:53 AM
scopium

do u have extended warranty... cause i think they are trying to wait till you hit pass 100k and then say your tranny is bad so they can get money out of you.

my advice is to go back and tell them your tranny is going bad.. and if they refuse to repair under warranty then talk to the manager..

Old 09-01-2005, 12:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by cato
The stealer said the tranny fluid does not look like it should with such few miles on it. Said it was turning browish
That sure ins't good... I'd take it in and insist that they give you an answer or go to another dealer. I agree, they may be slow rolling you to get you past the warranty number. Good luck.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:03 PM

I wish I did! No extended warranty...............Figured since my Honda which did have one never needed it, I would waive it on the Nissan Flagship Maxima.
I guess it pays to get one with NISSAN.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:43 PM

My 2k3 did the same thing only that it wouldnt move at all...it turned out to be a bad throttle body and later a ECU failure.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:25 PM
Banned

find another stealership. If you have one around that is known for performance modifications, they are typically a little better than the rest in finding weird stuff like that. I think your tranny is fine.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:37 PM

I think that I am in the same boat only my auto trans seems to slip while rounding a corner during acceleration slips slightly then catches some time bangs into gear may need to get checked out
Old 09-01-2005, 01:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MAXGXE
I think that I am in the same boat only my auto trans seems to slip while rounding a corner during acceleration slips slightly then catches some time bangs into gear may need to get checked out
Now, that, is a dying tranny. Start saving, kid.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:18 AM

good luck w/ your tranny
Old 09-03-2005, 05:01 PM

I would replace your solenoid valve and/or TCM (Tranny Control Module) which is a known issue and there have been technical service bullentin about it.
Old 09-04-2005, 01:29 AM

Mine's already done for at 62k...she's in the shop now...$2,200 for a rebuild, ouch.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:12 PM

Man OH man! The 2000 Maxima belongs to my wife. She got tired of dealing with this transmission issue so she insisted we trade cars until I experienced it for myself. My car is a 2003 Infiniti G35 Sedan with performance mods! Sob..Sob.... So I have been driving the Max for a couple of weeks now. I experienced the transmission slipage last week for the first time. First of all, let me say that the Max drives GREAT, the auto trannny seems perfect, I can break traction from a stop and the gear shifts never seem to be anything but crisp. So I was driving along at 40 mph when all of a sudden the tachometer starts to fly upward when I press the accelerator. WTF! So I realized immediatly the tranny was acting up. The damn car would not go faster than 20 mph. I dropped her into 2nd, no difference, down to first, no difference. So I turned her off, started her up and all was back to nomal. No CEL appeared. The drive afterward showed the tranny to be JUST LIKE NEW? What the hell is going on? I went to another stealership today and related this story. They said that unless I could bring the car in with it acting up, they could not tell what was going on. Get this: As I was driving home, the tranny started acting up. Oh boy! Here I am taking a vacation day, close the the stealership with the car acting up! I called up (cell) my regular service guy at my regular stealership and told him I was limping in with the car acting up. Finally arrived, parked the Max, carefull to not turn her off, placed her in park. Got out and waved my service guy over. He ran out and got in the drivers seat, I jumped into the shotgun....WTF!!!!! All was OK Then had the mechanic drive it with me. He said he definitly thought the clutch was going in the tranny, time for a new one. *&^%$#@!!@#$%^&IT! Talk about pissed off. What to do? The new rebuilt tranny is gonna be about $3150.00 installed. 12 month 12K mile warranty...GDIT! Got this quoted from two dealerships, I mean Stealerships near me......sob sob sob