5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Messed up my instrument cluster

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima
Yeah, you could do that. Or you could splice in your own potentiometer, same thing.
"potentiometer" Which wires do I splice into on this one? Which color?
Old 10-25-2005, 07:23 AM

if i get a new cluster, can i keep my exisiting mileage on the odometer anyway?
Old 10-25-2005, 07:59 AM

xplosive...if you get a new cluster you will have to go to a Nissan Dealership and ask them to change the mileage on the new odometer. But so that it doesn't go on the VIN record in a negative way, I would take the broken one so that they can see the mileage for themselve and so that they can see it was an honest mistake and your not trying to change it to a false odometer reading. BUT leave the new one un-installed until the mileage is changed.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:28 AM

thanks edge for the info.
is that legal in all states? -in NJ.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:09 PM

i just called Dave B. for advice on what to do. he suggested to get the 01 cluster and have your exsisting mileage changed over to the new cluster.. seems ok.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

wow i can believe you had such a problem with the needles. i memorized the positions for the RPM at idle, topped off my gas tank, and memorized the position for the engine temp.
when i took off my needles i used a butter knife, and and i could pull them off with some force by hand, and then try to get them in the correct spot while my car was idling.
it took some time, and i drove around a little while without the clear gauge cluster cover on just so i could get the needles in the right spot.
i have a 5spd, and i could double check my RPM to speed because i knew that it is about 650-750 RPM at idle, and when im going down the highway at 80 my RPM is just over 3k.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:44 AM

Wow...xplosive, sorry about all the trouble you're going through. I just sold a 2000 GLE cluster not too long ago on Ebay. I installed indiglos plenty of times and never took the needles off, too much of a hassle and risk of miscalibration. If I were you, I would shop on Ebay for a cluster. There's always someone out there selling one.....alot cheaper than the dealer. Also, check any local junkyards, too. Good luck!
Old 10-26-2005, 03:37 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Here's what you have to do:
Before removing your needles, you need to mark this 'fixed' location by:
a) Turning key to OFF
b) While holding the trip/odo reset button down, turn the key to IGN position & hold the button down for at least 0.8 seconds. (1-2 seconds is perfectly fine - no need to rush).
c) After that, push the button 3 times in the next few seconds (you'll have about 7 seconds to do this).

You will notice that all segments of the trip/odo will be illuminated.

NOW, when you push and hold the button, the needles will move to a fixed (calibration) mode. You can mark this spot, then safely remove the needles. As long as you're in the diagnostics mode, the needles will move to the set location when you hold the button down & return to zero position when you release the button. You can do this over & over until you are comfortable with your markings.

(To leave the diagnostics, you can simply turn the key back to the OFF position).

Now, you can remove the needles by gently prying them off.

To reinstall the needles, simply go back in to the diagnostics using the steps outlined above. Move the needle base to the 'fixed' location by holding the button down and setting the needles to the location you marked. Then, just push the needles in gently.

If you had removed the needles before marking this set location, you're basically screwed.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by xplosive9z
I tried to install the reverse gauges NOT KNOWING that you're not supposed to pull the needles off and I did... the effect: nice reverse gauge look, but the frickin speedometer, tachometer are whack off alignment... meaning when I'm doing 25mph, the needle is at 40.. same with the RPMs... is there any way I can fix this?!?!?..

please somebody help.
Where did u bought your reverse gauges from?
Old 10-26-2005, 06:20 AM

yeh custom, i'm screwed.. so basically new ebay instrument cluster it is.. I got the em for like 20 bucks shipping included from good ol' ebay.. nextech, got em in like two days, and they give you everything you need... my only dilemma, the mileage situation. i wanna keep my exisiting mileage if i get a new cluster.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:19 AM

just go to a nissan dealership and explain what happened, with the old cluster still installed so they can see the mileage and they will reprogramm the new one to reflect the orginals mileage.....thats all it takes. they may charge you but at least you get ur mileage back and if they do charge you, ask them to install the new one, unless ur gonna try the gauge swap again.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:41 AM

ok you guys have been a great help with all this..
just last question to use as advice for myself and I won't touch this thread again.. I am most probably going to get the new cluster, but I still wanna put the reverse gauges on... should i just try sliding the new gauges on through the whole on the gauge through the needle?

that isn't my pic., but that's exactly what they look like.. credits to studman
Old 10-26-2005, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by custommaximaSE
Here's what you have to do:
Before removing your needles, you need to mark this 'fixed' location by:
a) Turning key to OFF
b) While holding the trip/odo reset button down, turn the key to IGN position & hold the button down for at least 0.8 seconds. (1-2 seconds is perfectly fine - no need to rush).
c) After that, push the button 3 times in the next few seconds (you'll have about 7 seconds to do this).

You will notice that all segments of the trip/odo will be illuminated.

NOW, when you push and hold the button, the needles will move to a fixed (calibration) mode. You can mark this spot, then safely remove the needles. As long as you're in the diagnostics mode, the needles will move to the set location when you hold the button down & return to zero position when you release the button. You can do this over & over until you are comfortable with your markings.

(To leave the diagnostics, you can simply turn the key back to the OFF position).

Now, you can remove the needles by gently prying them off.

To reinstall the needles, simply go back in to the diagnostics using the steps outlined above. Move the needle base to the 'fixed' location by holding the button down and setting the needles to the location you marked. Then, just push the needles in gently.

If you had removed the needles before marking this set location, you're basically screwed.
Does this work for the 2003 maxima?
Old 10-27-2005, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by xplosive9z
ok you guys have been a great help with all this..
just last question to use as advice for myself and I won't touch this thread again.. I am most probably going to get the new cluster, but I still wanna put the reverse gauges on... should i just try sliding the new gauges on through the whole on the gauge through the needle?

that isn't my pic., but that's exactly what they look like.. credits to studman
I think you should give it one more try ,but follow the instructions.keep us posted when u get them done.

BTW, you killing us with this BIG A$$ Picture ,make it small man
Old 10-27-2005, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by 03maxima1
Does this work for the 2003 maxima?
This procedure works on virtually all Nissan meters which has a digital trip/odo. If you have the analog/mechanical trip/odo, don't bother trying it.

I don't know if it will work for 5.5 gen ,but try it and see what happen.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by custommaximaSE
This procedure works on virtually all Nissan meters which has a digital trip/odo. If you have the analog/mechanical trip/odo, don't bother trying it.

I don't know if it will work for 5.5 gen ,but try it and see what happen.
Thanks, but what do you mean by "If you have the analog/mechanical trip/odo, don't bother trying it"?
Old 10-27-2005, 08:37 AM

03 max, he means if you have a cluster that is like the ones on the 4th gen where there is a gear that manually moves the odometer to count off every mile, it doesn't apply to you or any other 5th geners
Old 10-27-2005, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by EdgeX
03 max, he means if you have a cluster that is like the ones on the 4th gen where there is a gear that manually moves the odometer to count off every mile, it doesn't apply to you or any other 5th geners
Just checking, Thanks.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:22 AM

Hey guys,
I just talked to the guys that sent me my custom gauge overlays. They told me that when you remove the needle rests for the speedometer and tachometer the needle will drop to it’s recalibration point and to mark the needle at that point. For the gas and temp gauge he said to just make a mental note or draw a picture.