5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

car locked by itself?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 08:53 AM
No More Maxipad

car locked by itself?

i got locked out of my car this morning while the car was on =/ i drove to a nearby mailbox to drop off some mail. all i did was open door, turn hazard lights on, close door, drop off mail...and when i get back, the doors were locked o_O since it was only 4 blocks from my home i just ran home and got my spare key and left my car running in the middle of the street =/ anyone know why it locked by itself?
Old 10-26-2005, 08:55 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Blame it on the Taliban.

I can't believe you're asking this question.

The only VERY REMOTE possiblity that exists is that your keyfob is malfunctioning.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:03 AM
No More Maxipad

i didn't even touch the keyfob it was inside the car...eh i guess i'll be more careful next time =/
Old 10-26-2005, 09:15 AM

Next time roll your window half or all the way down.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by MaximaPolak
Next time roll your window half or all the way down.

YUP...Thats what I do all the time just in case the door goes crazy and locks itself.

Maybe the lock button was pressed by accident when you were getting out of the car to mail your letters.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:39 AM

im sure he knows how to AVOID this problem in the future, either roll the window down or leave the door open or whatever. but the point is, WHY would this happen? even with a Viper system with autolock, once you unlock the doors while the car is running, they wont lock again. the only thing i can think of is what he said before, that when you opened the door, you accidentaly hit the LOCK button. that is weird tho, so keep an eye out for if it happens again, cuz then something might be wrong.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have actually had two cars with the same problem, one was a 93 Maxima. I got locked out of my car on several occasions. The locks would seriously lock by themselves. You could have them unlocked, get out of the car, close the door, and watch all the locks go down. I still have a 99 Villager that had very serious problems with the door locks doing that too. I guess that is a known issue with the Villagers and is related to moisture getting into the electrical components. I started carrying an extra set of keys on me at all times because of it.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:51 AM
I am Roid Rage

Correct me if I'm wrong since I don't have a max anymore, but IIRC, my keyfob wouldn't work when the car was running.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:52 AM

My roomate has the same problem with his ride. The door handles on his Range Rover are the type where the handle pulls away from the latch. Anyhow, it would randomly lock and unlock itself, it didnt matter if the truck was running or not. Come to find out, it was a faulty door latch. Hope this helps.
VK56 Inside

Originally Posted by Bluebird
Correct me if I'm wrong since I don't have a max anymore, but IIRC, my keyfob wouldn't work when the car was running.
You are correct sir. The car will not lock with the key in the ignition. Even in a 4th gen.
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by Bluebird
No, it works...so it's entirley possible he bumped the button.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:03 PM

mine did that all the time

Originally Posted by bobaphatt
I have actually had two cars with the same problem, one was a 93 Maxima. I got locked out of my car on several occasions. The locks would seriously lock by themselves. You could have them unlocked, get out of the car, close the door, and watch all the locks go down. I still have a 99 Villager that had very serious problems with the door locks doing that too. I guess that is a known issue with the Villagers and is related to moisture getting into the electrical components. I started carrying an extra set of keys on me at all times because of it.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:11 PM

I've heard of this problem in some 6th gens, this is the first time I've heard this happening on the 5th gen. And yes, the keyfob works when the car is running. I do it all the time during the winter when I start my car in the morning with the valet key and lock it with the keyfob to let the car warm up.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:41 PM
† ErV †

get your locks fixed. i have a "leave my car running while i am doing errands" syndrome and while it has never happened, it might.

it's the car's fault, not the user. give him a break...

Old 10-26-2005, 04:46 PM

it happened after he got out the car. it you dont pull the handle when you close the door, itll unlock, yeah?

i never tried it, but thats the way my 91 is.

take your keys with you when you get out of the car. if you cant, put the window down, at least a few inches so if they do lock you can reach in with a stick or something and hit the button...
Old 10-26-2005, 07:53 PM
No More Maxipad

yea i learned my lesson...i figured it was only like 6 feet away so i leave the car on...usually i turn my car off wherever i go.

i think i pulled my leg muscle running today =/ damn i need to excercise more lol
Old 10-26-2005, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by TXT-1
I've heard of this problem in some 6th gens, this is the first time I've heard this happening on the 5th gen. And yes, the keyfob works when the car is running. I do it all the time during the winter when I start my car in the morning with the valet key and lock it with the keyfob to let the car warm up.

I do the same thing, I have the ignition key on its own detachable keychain so I can just leave the car running and take the fob and house keys with me.

I don't know if somebody said this, I didn't see it, but... It's really not possible that he hit the electric lock button while he was leaving, because this wouldn't lock the doors. I don't know which other years have this feature, but I know that on 5.5 gens, if the key is in the ignition (running or not) and you have a door open and try to hit the electric lock switch, the doors will all lock, and then unlock. Hence, you can't lock yourself out of the car when you leave it with the key in the ignition.

So basically, unless he physically turned the manual lock the door, the locks are malfunctioning in some way. You could probably have Nissan check it out, but then again, they'll probbaly tell you there's nothing wrong.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:00 PM

Hmmmm sounds like you accidentally bumped the toggle swtich when you exited the car, but that's only an assumption it might not have been that. I've never had that happen but I had the windows roll down by themselves a few times.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima
Blame it on the Taliban.

The only VERY REMOTE possiblity that exists is that your keyfob is malfunctioning.
What are you talking about dude? This is a pretty valid question and something that can actually happen to some vehicles.

At one time my 2k2 would lock by itself when id park it, doors unlocked, but without the key in the ignition. It was so annoying and would only occur on occasion. Now I have a Viper 791XV and problem solved.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:43 PM
No More Maxipad

sorry for bringing this thread back up but i did it again =/ i locked myself out of the car again haha but this time i had my sunroof opened and i was able to crawl in from there haha

anyways i figured out why it locked when i close the door. i did not accidently hit the lock button or anything...it's the hazard lights. i was again dropping off some mail at the same place where i last locked myself out and i had my car running...i opened my door and hit the hazard lights then as soon as i closed my door the doors locked.

just thought i give a heads up to you all in case you make a stupid mistake like me...twice haha
Old 03-20-2006, 07:59 PM

Yeah, I posted when I first got my car about it locking by itself. Luckily, the first two times I actually had taken the key out. I've learned to either roll the window down or take the keys out, I know I'm gonna forget one day, I have GOT to get me an extra key made......sigh. Oh, when I posted about it I was a newb and everyone said I locked it accidentally......
Old 03-20-2006, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima
Blame it on the Taliban.

Everytime i disconnect my battery to work on my car this happens for a week afterwards, i will actually sit there and wait and about 5 mins later the car will lock its self every time, but then it goes away after a week, its weird
Old 03-20-2006, 09:23 PM

yeah I used to have an Infiniti J30t and after about 5 min running the doors would occasionally lock, so out of habit I don't close the door on my max when it's running and I get out.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:05 PM

Actually this happened to me a year ago, on Christmas Eve I think (or the day before perhaps.) I got out of my car while it was running, closed the door behind me, and talked with one of my friend's a few feet away for a few minutes. I got back and all my doors were locked. It was really bizarre, b/c normally if you hit the lock button on the door panel or on the fob you would hear the locks engaging, so it must've done this after I had gotten out.

Worst part is I had only the one key in the ignition at the time. Got a key made the next business day...
Old 03-20-2006, 11:11 PM

This happens to me on a regular basis.

In my situation, it wasn't an electrical glitch or gremlins, but carelessness on my part.

Turns out that when I pull the interior door handle to exit, I have a tendancy to lock the drivers side door by unintentionally pushing the door lock closed with the side of my hand.

I have been almost being locked out, many miles from home without a spare key on many occasions, However, I have always left the drivers side window partially open so I can let myself in again.

Old 03-21-2006, 11:38 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

this is an intresting problem. mine does it on rare occasions. i know it does it so when i get gas i roll down the window. it isn't particular to car running or not running, key in or out of the ignition. i have tried to duplicate it different ways so dealer couldn't say $hit but it is totaly random.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:17 PM
vsamoylov

mine does it only when nothing happens. ok let me put it this way. for the 5.5gen guys, you know when you remove the key you can still roll the window down and up for like 30 seconds. after that the bcm cuts the power off and you can do anything. well the same goes with the doors lockign by themselfs when the key is removed from the ignition. for example i park my car get out and dont clsoe the doors. there is a timer in the bcm that closes the doors. i dont know if my max is the only taht does it but it is a neat feature if you forget to lock the car.

Old 03-21-2006, 12:38 PM

The same thing happened to me about 2 months ago. I started the car, popped the hood, got out, closed the door, filled the brake fluid then I was locked out of the car (with the car running). I had to have my wife come home from work (45 min ride) w/ the extra key to unlock the car. DOH!!

I haven't been able to recreate what happened because the car usually won't let you do that.

Glad to see I'm not alone!
Old 03-21-2006, 01:41 PM

I've never had that happen, but have had problem with my 200 max's locks. Sometimes when my door is unhlocked the door will simply not open and you have to lock then unlock again until it works. That kind of $hit is annoying
Old 03-21-2006, 01:51 PM

my 2002 always locks itself 5min after i turn it off... i kinda like the added security
Old 03-21-2006, 02:13 PM

mine did that but it was because of the aftermarket autostatrt and lock installed by the previous owner
Old 03-21-2006, 02:16 PM
Hoooper

theres a TSB for this. intermitent and random door locking while driving or something like that

Old 03-21-2006, 02:29 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by bobaphatt
my pops has a 93 Nissan Quest which locks at any given time with the key in it or not. car running or not running. its possessed. luckily we have the KEYPAD entry system to unlock the car. HOWEVER, that is EXTRA WIERD!!!....not sure what it could be....maybe bad relays...
Old 03-21-2006, 03:10 PM

i dont mean to hi-jack the thread but i figured people would get pissed if i started my own for just this question........what does "IIRC" mean?
Old 03-21-2006, 05:55 PM
Very sound, Mike

IIRC = If I Remember Correctly

Anyway, OP, this may sound crazy but it actually happened to a friend of mine - some guy was walking by and saw his car running with no one in sight, thinking it might get stolen the passerby actually locked the car. Kind of a weird gesture, but rather thoughtful at the same time.

The passerby actually came up to us and explained himself.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:00 PM

mine has done this while running and while driving, all of a sudden you'll hear doors all lock but never unlock. i always blammed it on my piece of shi1 remote start, come to find out it's my max....wow. you always hear of american cars being horrible but i wonder if you just get lucky or unlucky. maxes with oil consumption problems, grinding gears, maf problems, coil problems and for the love of god fuel filter in the gas tank!! etc etc knock on wood i've only had lock problem, and exhaust flange seperation as many have had. am i lucky or did i get a good car? hummmmm only time will tell, only 52 k on her now but brother has my last camry with 240k orig motor & trans....
Old 03-22-2006, 05:28 AM
I C U

Thats funny. It's damn near impossible to lock myself out when the key is in the ignition. If I press the lock button, it automatically unlocks all the doors. I also disabled the autolock on my remote start alarm so I dont get clumsy. The only way I can lock myself out with key in ignition is by my extra alarm remote, or by locking all door while inside the car, and manually opening and locking the door before closing it. So mabey he brushed the lock??
Old 03-22-2006, 08:50 AM
No More Maxipad

hmm strange...i tried to lock myself out today but it wouldn't work with the hazard light thing =/ i'm so lost lol so i guess it only works when i don't expect to lock myself out o_O
Old 03-22-2006, 08:14 PM
Hoooper

Originally Posted by Hoooper
theres a TSB for this. intermitent and random door locking while driving or something like that
there is your answer. it really does exist as a tsb, go look.

Old 03-25-2006, 07:35 AM

I left mine running in front of BlockBuster one night, as soon as I closed the door, I heard the locks lock. I had to call a friend to go to my house and get a spare key. Again the car was running the whole time.

Quick Reply: car locked by itself?