5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Picture request: 5.5 Gen with mesh grill behind stock grill

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 11:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Picture request: 5.5 Gen with mesh grill behind stock grill

I have been looking for a picture of this for a couple days and I can’t find it. I remember seeing a picture of a silver 5.5 gen with a mesh grill behind the stock grill. I think it was in someone’s sig. It looked really nice and I wanted to know if it was from a company or if it was a home depot job. Any help would be appreciated!
Old 11-03-2005, 12:58 PM

prolly homedepot
Old 11-03-2005, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by nismo0604
prolly homedepot
That is what I’m guessing as well. I would like to see the picture again before I try to attempt this.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:55 PM

might as well just give it a shot, wont cost more than 10$ and take more than an hour, i personally dont think it would look to good tho
Old 11-07-2005, 08:57 AM

Old 11-07-2005, 10:34 AM

Thats it!! So does it look like a Home Depot job?
Old 11-07-2005, 10:54 AM

Ya I think that looks good too. I had that on my old Altima, it looks like the gutter guard. I would like to find some other metal mesh that would be a little thicker with larger holes.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:23 AM

Who's car is this and why not ask him the specifics about how he did it. I'm interested.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by kcowden
Who's car is this and why not ask him the specifics about how he did it. I'm interested.
I asked nismo0604 that very same question. He said he happened upon that picture by accident. So he has no clue who's car that is.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Lethal
I asked nismo0604 that very same question. He said he happened upon that picture by accident. So he has no clue who's car that is.
Bummer.... you should send out a "who's car is this thread" J/K If you come across a how to or any other info, please post it.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:16 PM
Thinks he is fast

Damn that looks sweet. I would really like to mod a grille like that, and it looks so good on that color max =). I think we need to get a thread together of all of the grille's made for the 5.5 gens because I would like to buy one but I can't find any I like online. I'm a big fan of mesh grilles, like the grille on the chrysler 300c hemi damn that looks sweet. If I could find one like that for the max I would buy and put a nissan emblem on the front of it.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:16 PM

Found him.... it's "skoodaddy" I sent him a PM asking if he would provide some info on that grill.

Old 11-07-2005, 01:03 PM

Found him.... it's "skoodaddy" I sent him a PM asking if he would provide some info on that grill.
Nice! Good job kcowden. Lets hope he gets back to us on how he did this.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:16 PM
But why is teh Rum gone?

Damn, that is one CLEAN engine bay!
I wonder if he does detailing
Old 11-08-2005, 01:04 AM

Damn Ive been searching for this too!!! please post a how to for this I saw it a while back and wanted to do it. Thanks for bringing this back up.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:37 AM
Nightmare = Reality

I've actually been looking for a fit more like that. i really didnt like the other mesh grille designs, but that's tight lookin
Old 11-08-2005, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Maxim(a)SerjVQ
I've actually been looking for a fit more like that. i really didnt like the other mesh grille designs, but that's tight lookin
From what I can see in the photo, it looks like he did some serious "cut to fit" on each piece. It looks like he trimmed each piece in some type of black rubber. Possibly some of that door bump trim. Other opinions are welcome as to what you think.... If he doesn't provide any info on this were stuck to come up with our own ideas.... off to Home Depot....
Old 11-08-2005, 11:01 PM

Okay I have been looking at this and im pretty sure I have figured it out. I think its the Dimand style grill insert from www.grille-tech.com. I think the guy just stuck the stock grill over it. I emailed the pics to grille-tech and asked them if this could be their kit. I will let you know if/when they respond.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Lethal
Okay I have been looking at this and im pretty sure I have figured it out. I think its the Dimand style grill insert from www.grille-tech.com. I think the guy just stuck the stock grill over it. I emailed the pics to grille-tech and asked them if this could be their kit. I will let you know if/when they respond.

It's a possibility, great search... but I still think it is a HD special. I bought my gutter screen last night and will see what I can come up with. I will post any and all progress good or bad.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:16 PM

It's a possibility, great search... but I still think it is a HD special. I bought my gutter screen last night and will see what I can come up with. I will post any and all progress good or bad.
Yeah keep us updated! I got a response from Grill-tech.com.

"Hello:

Thank you for your below inquiry and interest in Grille-Tech.
We cannot be certain that it is; however, the grille material certainly looks the same (much like our RACE-STYLE, SILVER grille inserts)
Our Lower Bumper grille insert is designed to fit and install over the stock (OEM) grille; whereas, the Upper grille we manufacture replaces the factory grille of the 02-03 Maxima.
Please feel free to contact me should you have any further questions or concerns."

So basically that wasn’t any help at all. I will wait and see how your attemp goes kcowden. If it doesnt work ill order from Grill-tech and see if I can make it work.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:16 PM

by far the best looking grill
Old 11-10-2005, 03:09 PM

I am definitely interested in this mod. Although I don't think that its just the Grille-Tech behind the stock one because there there are vertical plastic "bars" in there too.. Looks awesome, I love it.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:22 PM

I may attempt to recreate this mod this weekend with a trip to Home Depot. I do have the oil catch can and new pedals to install as well, so it may be next weekend before I get to install it. I’m still hoping skoodaddy logs in and helps us out.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:05 AM

Agreed!!!!!

Originally Posted by merovi
by far the best looking grill
Yes I love that look. It is the best looking grile I've seen on 5.5 gen.

Old 11-12-2005, 04:45 PM

I'm assuming he hasn't repsonded to your pm yet.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:13 PM

LMAO! Ha HA HA, I was just a searchin for some info, and came across this post. I am flattered that so many of you like what I did to my Maxima. to answer your question....

IT'S THE HOME DEPOT SPECIAL! GET YOUR GUTTER GUARD FOR .35 a sheet, if you want all your holes filled (like my girl) then it will take 4 sheets (cause you will mess one up) and start a trimmin'. I used simple wire cutters, it took about 2 hours, then, you put black rubber door guard molding, and line it around the edges, to prevent it from scratching (this is very important, I didn't do that with my 4th gen, and it severely damaged the paint) then to secure your new meshing, use FISHING LINE. That is right, it is invisible, and strong as hell. This Mod was the first thing I did to that car. If you are too lazy to do this you can order one from me for $100 for the six pieces, $50 for the 2 bigger holes. I am also willing to trade for other mods, here is my christmas list, Coilovers, CAI, Exhaust pieces ( I have none yet ) and other, misc interior pieces, throw me an offer, I will be polite if I don't like it!

But I would suggest you make it yourself one rainy Saturday. You'll appreciate it more.

Thanks again for all your comments, now take action, and visit my cardomain site, and vote responsibly!
Old 11-12-2005, 09:33 PM

Thank you for the reply and how-to Skoodaddy! I will defiantly try and make it look as good as you did. So wow, its 6 pieces and each piece is cut and wrapped in black rubber door guard molding. I am going to home depot ASAP
Old 11-13-2005, 12:03 AM

Yes, but you will need to get the door molding from your favorite local parts store, it is actually more expensive than the grill material,

Advice:
Use one long piece to wrap around it, otherwise the corners won't match, you must trim adequate "triangles" in the inside of the molding so that it fits together better when folded back around the mesh,

Also the main "top" grill is 5 pieces, not six, sorry, the bottom area is one piece. And that one piece will give you the most trouble, because it bends around, with the natural shape of the car, but also curves upward.

Also, pay close attention to the "side" and "pattern" of your mesh. Do it all on the same side (the shiny one...doh!) and the same direction, other wise, it looks really.......rice trash.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:30 PM

I just did this on my 2000,, Pain in the *** it is, unless you use better wire cutters than i did.. Came out Alright.. Gonna have to redo it.. I'll try and get pics up later..

Also on the 2000, I had to make 1 piece for each slot, Which is very hard to make look good.. Unlinke Above where he used 5 pieces
Old 11-13-2005, 01:20 PM

I made one similar to 'NISMO0604's, but not as nice. I used Rain Gutter mesh wire to make it from Home Depot.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Skoodaddy
IT'S THE HOME DEPOT SPECIAL! GET YOUR GUTTER GUARD FOR .35 a sheet,
How funny, that's what I thought. I already bought my gutter guard last week along with some sheet metal shears. I'll post pics when I get done. Thanks for the confirm skoodaddy.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:27 AM

Thanks for the writeup, I know what i will be doing this weekend.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:53 AM

I am still taken back, by how many of you liked this so much, thank you for all the emails. So, I will offer some more advice...Just because it will take a few hours cutting and molding the pieces to make it work, doesn't mean you are finished. This is sort of a trial and error mod, if you are doing it yourself. You may need to re-trim a few times, and re-tie a few times, occaisionally re-adjusting it's fitment into the grill, due to a really fat bug, or small bird at 65 mph. I am ready to see pics and hear feedback from you guys who are trying it, you may have discovered a better way to do it than I did.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:03 AM

Thanks for the writeup! Do you have any close-up pictures of this? Did you have a template or just cut by eye?
Old 11-15-2005, 03:09 PM

I thought about doing a template, but ended up measuring my gaps, marking it accordingly on the mesh, and cliping on the inside of the marking, because the molding will take up less than a 1/8 inch of space. Once they were close, I put them up to the hole and started my, trimming to fit process. Remember, it is better to leave too much, than to trim too much when judging space...you can always trim some more.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:27 PM

I'm just not 100% sure, you made 5 seperate pieces, wrapped the edges with rubber, and tied each piece in individually? If so, wow, that's a crap load of work. I mean, I will be doing it, but it's still a crap load of work.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:01 PM

Yes? No? Maybe? I don't know....
Old 11-17-2005, 03:10 PM

I am going to try and get this done this weekend. I will take pictures as I go and if it turns out nice ill do a how-to with pics and whatnot. If it sucks......well lets hope it doesn't
Old 11-17-2005, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Skoodaddy
.... if you want all your holes filled (like my girl) then it will take 4 sheets
I don't want my hole filled like your girl.

Bahahahah!
Old 11-17-2005, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaPolak
I don't want my hole filled like your girl.

Bahahahah!

I wondered how long it was gonna take for someone to get that! lmao

Quick Reply: Picture request: 5.5 Gen with mesh grill behind stock grill