5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

consequence of clicking axles?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 02:14 PM
Need A Light?

consequence of clicking axles?

Hey ya'll...I'm in the process of ordering new axles from Marty @ raxles...just need to wait for my CC statement to clear so I can place the order...unfortunately for me, I won't be able to install them immediately when they come in. It might be a week or two before I can get down to the install as I run on a busy schedule...so here is my question

What are the consequences of rolling on clicking axles? My passenger side axle started to click about 3 weeks ago and now it has become consistent...I probably have 3 more weeks to go until I get them replaced...however my concern is the safety of other compononets while riding on clicking axles...is there any serious consequence for waiting that long of a time to change them?
Old 11-05-2005, 07:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

in my 91 i drove on them for like 6 months before i replaced them. i was waiting for one to pop out... but i got sick of waiting and figured id take care of them like i should have.

its more of an annoyance than anything, and eventually they will wear out and spit the ***** out of the rzeppa.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:49 PM

this is a very seriouse issue, your axle is clicking bc IT IS BROKEN! it could come loose at any time, pop out of your tranny and could cause you to loose control and smack up your sweet ride. i wouldnt sit on this issue for long, when you get thoes axles, drop the car off at a shop that day and get it taken care of!!!!!!!!
Old 11-05-2005, 11:20 PM
Need A Light?

haha thanks for the replies guys...

bewstaddict - is what bugbite sayin is true? I know your a tech for nissan I believe...and you say its more of an annoyance than anything...can u elaborate more on this...thanks
Old 11-05-2005, 11:37 PM
Z

I had clicking axles...turned out the axle nuts just weren't tight enough. 5 minute job of tightening them up fixed everything right up.
Old 11-06-2005, 12:17 AM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by NYPD-Arnold
I had clicking axles...turned out the axle nuts just weren't tight enough. 5 minute job of tightening them up fixed everything right up.
oh yeah I read about that awhile back....quick question though...

Has your axle nut ever been worked on? I know for a damn fact mine has never been touched...so there isnt any chance the mechanic forgot to tighten it real hard...
Old 11-06-2005, 12:29 AM

what are the symtoms?
Old 11-06-2005, 12:45 AM
Need A Light?

it clicks when I turn right....its also coming from the passenger side wheel area..
Old 11-06-2005, 07:34 AM
Z

Originally Posted by steven88
oh yeah I read about that awhile back....quick question though...

Has your axle nut ever been worked on? I know for a damn fact mine has never been touched...so there isnt any chance the mechanic forgot to tighten it real hard...
I don't think it has, honestly. But you may want to check and see regardless. Lift your car up and try to see if the wheels will wobble back and forth if you push on them inward and outward. Mine moved around just the teeniest, tiniest bit...Push on them towards the car and pull on them away from the car, see what happens.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:57 AM

I've seen lots of cars sitting in the middle of the road with there wheel laying on the ground. I wouldn't go to long before fiixing it..Rolling the dice on this one
Old 11-06-2005, 09:01 AM
Need A Light?

I don't think it has, honestly. But you may want to check and see regardless. Lift your car up and try to see if the wheels will wobble back and forth if you push on them inward and outward. Mine moved around just the teeniest, tiniest bit...Push on them towards the car and pull on them away from the car, see what happens.
ahh yes, the famous wheel bearing test....I actually tried this with one hand on 12 o clock and the other on 6 o clock...rocked it back n forth and it wouldn't budge...

how much force did you use arnold?
Old 11-06-2005, 09:23 AM

clicking when turning? sounds like a cv problem to me. the bearing inside is probably shot... i've had this happen on a previous car
Old 11-06-2005, 09:35 AM
Z

ahh yes, the famous wheel bearing test....I actually tried this with one hand on 12 o clock and the other on 6 o clock...rocked it back n forth and it wouldn't budge...

how much force did you use arnold?
Not too much.

I guess if yours isn't budging then you have other problems. Heh :\
Old 11-06-2005, 05:07 PM

how much did they charge you for shipping? i gotta order both front axels this week. what was teh total cost with shipping?
Old 11-06-2005, 05:17 PM
retired moderator

if the clicking is only when turning, it is DEFINITELY a bad C/V joint. If/when it "goes' completely, your wheel will not fly off or anything...you'll simply hear a big pop and you won't be able to "go" anymore. You're not gonna go flying out of control or have the wheel fly off

Remember, the wheel and hub/spindle assembly are attached to the car via the control arm and strut, and kept straight by the tie rod ends. None of these three things will go bad as a result of a CV joint...
Old 11-06-2005, 05:22 PM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by irish44j
if the clicking is only when turning, it is DEFINITELY a bad C/V joint. If/when it "goes' completely, your wheel will not fly off or anything...you'll simply hear a big pop and you won't be able to "go" anymore. You're not gonna go flying out of control or have the wheel fly off

Remember, the wheel and hub/spindle assembly are attached to the car via the control arm and strut, and kept straight by the tie rod ends. None of these three things will go bad as a result of a CV joint...
thanks Josh...this was the reply I was looking for
Old 11-06-2005, 05:24 PM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by chr0nos
how much did they charge you for shipping? i gotta order both front axels this week. what was teh total cost with shipping?
I'm not sure...the price he gave me didn't say shipping included...but I'm hoping it does include shipping...cuz damn, these mu' fu*kas cost ALOT

"The axles for your 02 Maxima 6sp MT are $174.95 for the driver side and $174.95 for the passenger side."

quoted from Marty @ raxles.com
Old 11-06-2005, 05:26 PM
Need A Light?

Not too much.

I guess if yours isn't budging then you have other problems. Heh :\
hey arnold quick question....how loose was yer axle nut? like was it loose to the point where u can spin it easily with barely any tq?
Old 11-06-2005, 05:26 PM
retired moderator

thanks Josh...this was the reply I was looking for
I had one go bad and break on my 87 integra years ago...scared the crap out of me...it is a big, loud BANG like someone hit my car with a sledge hammer. That was about 6 months after it started making noise (in college, had no money to fix it)...
Old 11-06-2005, 06:55 PM
Z

hey arnold quick question....how loose was yer axle nut? like was it loose to the point where u can spin it easily with barely any tq?
Nah, it wasn't that loose -- otherwise I would've damaged something if it were. I drove it that for like 7 months before actually getting a proper diagnosis on the problem and getting it fixed within 5 minutes.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:30 AM
Need A Light?

Just letting you guys know, my passenger side axle is clicking on sharp right turns....it sometimes click on left turns too but very very rarely....inspection of the boots is fine...no grease or rips anywhere by looking at the under carriage....

I am going to conclude the axles being bent becuz of my coilovers...has anyone ever had this happen to them before?
Old 11-07-2005, 06:43 AM

i spoke with AutoZone, and they want $64 for CCT re-manufactured axles. This price is with trade-in of the old (broken) axle. CCT axles have life-time warranty, and everybody (Autozone, Napa, Advance, Pep Boys) use them. Can't be thad bad quality if they are so popular. Let me know if anyone has used these, and has any feedback.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:33 AM

I was wondering the same thing myself, if the CCT's were worth getting- i get a discount too so its an even better price than nissan quoted me at $485/installed per axle. I'm not even sure if thats what it is because mine clicks going STRAIGHT too, like coming out of a drive-thru or something, i can hear it. Every time i say that to somebody they say its probably not the CV's then, since it clicks all the time not just on turns
Old 11-07-2005, 10:26 AM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by chr0nos
i spoke with AutoZone, and they want $64 for CCT re-manufactured axles. This price is with trade-in of the old (broken) axle. CCT axles have life-time warranty, and everybody (Autozone, Napa, Advance, Pep Boys) use them. Can't be thad bad quality if they are so popular. Let me know if anyone has used these, and has any feedback.
hey chronos, great find! I should give them a call later to see if they have mine in stock....btw, what price did you get without the core?
Old 11-07-2005, 01:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have the same problem with my 2000 maxima, only on the driver's side. When I go straight it is nosy too, but when I turn it starts clicking as if it is about to come off. I would have fixed the problem if I knew what is wrong because I just changed the left axle (remanufactured) and the noise is still there. I wonder if it is the wheel hub or the whole wheel bearing assembly… Let me know if anyone has any recommendations.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:23 PM

$95 i think, i cant remeber if he said $195 or just 95. advanced autoparts and smyth automotive did not have these in stock. i hope autozone can actually get these, and not just showing up as SKUs in their system.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:37 PM
Need A Light?

sweet...i'mma give them a call tomorrow and see what they quote me...hopefully they have them in stock and ready to install....
Old 11-07-2005, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by bugbite77
this is a very seriouse issue, your axle is clicking bc IT IS BROKEN! it could come loose at any time, pop out of your tranny and could cause you to loose control and smack up your sweet ride. i wouldnt sit on this issue for long, when you get thoes axles, drop the car off at a shop that day and get it taken care of!!!!!!!!

basically, what irish said... when you drop an axle, youll be stranded with no force to move the car. the axle could bounce around and cause impact damage, but thats about it...

how many miles on those axles?
Old 11-07-2005, 06:58 PM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by BewstAdd1ct

basically, what irish said... when you drop an axle, youll be stranded with no force to move the car. the axle could bounce around and cause impact damage, but thats about it...

how many miles on those axles?
cool thanks for the reply...I was concerned about other components failing because of the messed up axles...i.e. transmission, suspension etc...

I have 43k miles on the car...I know axles are suppose to last longer but I have a feeling these prematurely wore out cuz of my massive drop....I don't see any grease from the visual inspection....its only the passenger side

I'm thinking of going with those CCT axles...do u have any experience with them bestaddict?
Old 11-07-2005, 07:21 PM

if those are the standard napa axles, then yes. in fact ive got them in my '91.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:39 PM

Maybe this is the problem I have. Keep in mind that i started having this problem RIGHT after i got my suspension changed.

I dont know if its a clicking sound or what kind of sound (i guess its clicking). Well, i took a look and saw that the front right wheel where i have that clicking my CV Boot is ripped (i think thats what its called, the one connected to the axle). Now this clicking/clunking sound is coming from my front right wheel when im making a left turn.

Any ideas if the CV boot or joint is the problem.

Any info would help

thanks
Old 11-07-2005, 07:50 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by tisucka
Maybe this is the problem I have. Keep in mind that i started having this problem RIGHT after i got my suspension changed.

I dont know if its a clicking sound or what kind of sound (i guess its clicking). Well, i took a look and saw that the front right wheel where i have that clicking my CV Boot is ripped (i think thats what its called, the one connected to the axle). Now this clicking/clunking sound is coming from my front right wheel when im making a left turn.

Any ideas if the CV boot or joint is the problem.

Any info would help

thanks
if the CV boot is torn, there's a good chance that debris (dirt, gravel, etc) has gotten inside and most of the grease has 'gotten out'.....

low/no grease + debris = friction and grinding on the CV joint inside the boot = failed CV joint.

when the boot goes bad/tears, the joint will not be far behind.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:54 PM

so could that be the cause of the sound im getting?? or is it a suspension issue such as strut bearing which i didnt have changed?

Thanks again
Old 11-07-2005, 09:03 PM
Need A Light?

so could that be the cause of the sound im getting?? or is it a suspension issue such as strut bearing which i didnt have changed?

Thanks again
no, it is your CV joint going bad...if you said it makes noise only on turns...then thats the problem...and u said u visually inspected the boot and its torn...that is the problem...
Old 11-07-2005, 09:06 PM
Need A Light?

alright this freakin sucks...I went to autozone earlier and asked for 2k2 6spd axles...they don't have them...and so will pepboys & napa...since they all come from the same warehouse....

I think I am out of luck....the guy at the counter told me....just get the rebuilt done at a shop and just pay the labor (which doesn't cost much)....is getting my axles rebuilt at a shop an effective way of fixing my clicking noise?
Old 11-07-2005, 09:08 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Yes, it certainly would be a good way to repair it. Problem is, how much are they going to charge you, and how good of a job are they going to do? Can't go wrong with Marty at raxles axles
Old 11-07-2005, 09:24 PM

Well, i also could hear it when im going straight, but its only over certain bumps (so not always when your going straight) and you hear the clicking loudest on a turn to the left. Im wondering how come i never had the problem before but the day i had my suspension installed i started hearing the clicking sound?

I guess the question to ask now is: Where in NJ can i get this fixed for a good price?

Im guessing my best bet is to change it and see if it solves the problem because either way i need to change it anways.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I changed the rebuild axle and from what I understand it is bad because the clicking is still there. Do not reccomend...
Old 11-07-2005, 09:52 PM
Need A Light?

Well, i also could hear it when im going straight, but its only over certain bumps (so not always when your going straight) and you hear the clicking loudest on a turn to the left. Im wondering how come i never had the problem before but the day i had my suspension installed i started hearing the clicking sound?

I guess the question to ask now is: Where in NJ can i get this fixed for a good price?

Im guessing my best bet is to change it and see if it solves the problem because either way i need to change it anways.
the only explaination i can think of....after putting on the new suspension...I assume it lowered your vehicle...when this happens, it puts more stress on the axles...and since your boot is already ripped open, the already contaminated axle, started to click now that its being put under more stress....correct me if i am wrong here u guys...
Old 11-07-2005, 09:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I also had my boot torn. Instead of changing the rubber (the clicking noise already started), I decided to change the whole axle. And got a rebuilt one. And the noise did not disappear. Only grows louder. By the way, I can hear it when I go straight too. So I figured that the problem may be somewhere else….?

Quick Reply: consequence of clicking axles?