5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Anyone use an ebay Tsudo catback?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 11:13 AM
Drug Money

Anyone use an ebay Tsudo catback?

Just curious, I want to buy an exhaust for my car, don't want to spend too much for something like a GReddy EVO2.

I think the Tsudo only costs $260 shipped from ebay. I like the canister style over Cattman and Frankencar.

So does anyone have it on their car? Or is it a piece of $#!T?
Old 12-15-2005, 11:16 AM

If you don't see people on here with them. Then I would go with POS.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Just remember, you get what you pay for. I would expect fitment issues, poor welds, no SS steel.

It does not payoff if it falls apart in a year, and you have to spend more $$ to get it to fit correctly.

You can get the Evo2 from SCO for about $500 shipped, if you tell them that you are from the org. It may sound like a lot, but it will outlast the POS on ebay.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:27 PM

ive got it on my car. it's def stainless steel. only complaints i have about it are that the fitment was slightly off, but not enough to make installation an issue and that it's incredibly loud if you don't leave the silencer in the tip. other than that, it's a great exhaust for an even better price.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:34 PM
dot dot dot ...

Catbacks are ..
OEM > *

Maybe a b-pipe is worth it, but not the muffler.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:46 PM
大陆弟弟

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Is the b-pipe that restricive?
Old 12-15-2005, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Catbacks are ..
OEM > *

Thats why I am going back to the stock muffler
Old 12-15-2005, 03:49 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by n3985
From the looks of it ..yes ... But I still have no credible data such as a flow test, dyno .
Old 12-15-2005, 04:47 PM
Drug Money

Originally Posted by 03on18s
ive got it on my car. it's def stainless steel. only complaints i have about it are that the fitment was slightly off, but not enough to make installation an issue and that it's incredibly loud if you don't leave the silencer in the tip. other than that, it's a great exhaust for an even better price.
Simply said, does it suck? Or is it pretty good?
Old 12-15-2005, 05:12 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by MaxBoost925
Simply said, does it suck? Or is it pretty good?
Suck in terms of what?

Power, rust proof, sound? Vague ... too vague
Old 12-15-2005, 05:41 PM

Get a Cattman cat-back you wont be disapointed.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by doublea
Get a Cattman cat-back you wont be disapointed.

He already said that he does not like the cattman style muffler and does not want to spend/have the $600+ on the system
Old 12-15-2005, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by n3985
4th Gens gain about 6 whp going from a stock to 2.5" b-pipe. Should be similar for 5th and 5.5s considering how the bends and crimps are in the piping.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by upstatemax
He already said that he does not like the cattman style muffler and does not want to spend/have the $600+ on the system
Then he just have to buy the e-bay cat-back, it's a no brainer.

I think a maxima look much better with Cattman or Frankencar muffler than all those 4" fart can, remember we're not driving civic.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:34 AM

I think a maxima look much better with Cattman or Frankencar muffler than all those 4" fart can, remember we're not driving civic.
Well, some people like that look, regardless of the car. Just gotta live and let live. But I do share your preference for Cattman or FC.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:14 AM

Everyone has it's own preference and I respect that, but some style are better than other specially for our car.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:25 AM

Everyone has it's own preference and I respect that, but some style are better than other specially for our car.
I absolutely agree.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:26 PM
retired moderator

Just curious, I want to buy an exhaust for my car, don't want to spend too much for something like a GReddy EVO2.

I think the Tsudo only costs $260 shipped from ebay. I like the canister style over Cattman and Frankencar.

So does anyone have it on their car? Or is it a piece of $#!T?
save your money for something quality.....not a cheap-o rice can. This thing won't give you any appreciable power, so you could just spend the money on something that will
Old 12-18-2005, 09:26 AM

ye man dont get an ebay catback, its true that u do get what u pay for...obx however is an excellent cheap catback, i was very skeptical but mt oem muffler rusterd off, and i bought a used obx for 160, its f'n awsome, stainless stell, 25k no spot of rust! sounds fairly good too.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:34 AM

beware of the ebay catbacks
Youre better of saving your money to buy OBX, Frankencar or Cattman
Old 12-19-2005, 10:27 AM

The one guy that actually owns the ebay catback says it's pretty good. Since it seems like the rest are just speculating, you might want to take 03on18s advice.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by D Love
The one guy that actually owns the ebay catback says it's pretty good. Since it seems like the rest are just speculating, you might want to take 03on18s advice.

Since ONE person has it and says its ok, we should run and buy them?

Many have learned that you get what you pay for on cars, thats why they dont trust it. If he wants to be a test rat on it, go for it.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:16 AM

obx mufflers are great quality, but the straigh-trough design drones like crazy around 2.5k rpm. it's not really loud, but the drone kills me. i had just the muffler section on my v6 camry.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:26 AM

Since ONE person has it and says its ok, we should run and buy them?

Many have learned that you get what you pay for on cars, thats why they dont trust it. If he wants to be a test rat on it, go for it.
Since only ONE person actually HAS this exhaust, his advice about THIS exhaust should hold more weight. I never said that you should run and buy one of these exhausts. I simply told him that he might want to take the word of someone who has experience with this product over those who are just speculating.
Here, let me twist your words around... Since you say we get what we pay for, I guess we should all run out and buy $tealin or Greedy products.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:50 AM

Since only ONE person actually HAS this exhaust, his advice about THIS exhaust should hold more weight. I never said that you should run and buy one of these exhausts. I simply told him that he might want to take the word of someone who has experience with this product over those who are just speculating.
Here, let me twist your words around... Since you say we get what we pay for, I guess we should all run out and buy $tealin or Greedy products.

Your not twisting any of my words around...

When people say, "you get what you pay for" that does not mean, "run out and buy the most expensive product". It more means, "know what your buying"; I always research something before I dump a bunch of money into it.

One person having it and saying its ok, is not resarch. If you look at my sig, and my mod list. I obviously dont buy the most expensive stuff. I buy what has been proven to work and be quality parts. I saved $300 not going with cattman headers because HotShot put down the same power and are good quality. I went with the Berk intake, I could have dropped another $150 on an Injen. I went with D2 coilovers because they work quite well and are VERY adjustable, the only prob with them is some noise but every coilover makes noise.

The ebay cattback is unproven, and a risk. Everyone is warning him against it because there are many proven cattbacks for the maxima for a little more money.

No offense to the owner of the ebay cattback, but you have no idea how **** he is about products on his car. I know I am VERY **** about fit and finish, so his idea of good might be very different from mine. I prefer more feedback from people before I jump on a product.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:34 PM

lol it's funny how we spell exhaust cattback with two T's... it's def because of Cattman, I've done it too many times. BTW upstatemax, why ya getting rid of your rear section?

Back on topic, it's more based of preference. It would be much easier if we had 5 Maxima's with different exhausts right in front of us, then we'd easily know what we want.... sound, bling, performance, price, etc....
Old 12-19-2005, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by OOmaxSE
lol it's funny how we spell exhaust cattback with two T's... it's def because of Cattman, I've done it too many times. BTW upstatemax, why ya getting rid of your rear section?

Lol, I spell it "catback" and "cattback"... depends on what my fingers feel like typing at the time, yeah I blame Cattman for it.

I am getting rid of the rearsection to quite it back down... I will miss the Bada** sound, but after the headers it is just too loud for me. My fiancee complains about it as well.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:38 PM

Your not twisting any of my words around...

When people say, "you get what you pay for" that does not mean, "run out and the most expensive product". It more means, "know what your buying"; I always research something before I dump a bunch of money into it.

One person having it and saying its ok, is not resarch. If you look at my sig, and my mod list. I obviously dont buy the most expensive stuff. I buy what has been proven to work and be quality parts. I saved $300 not going with cattman headers because HotShot put down the same power and are good quality. I went with the Berk intake, I could have dropped another $150 on an Injen. I went with D2 coilovers because they work quite well and are VERY adjustable, the only prob with them is some noise but every coilover makes noise.

The ebay cattback is unproven, and a risk. Everyone is warning him against it because there are many proven cattbacks for the maxima for a little more money.

No offense to the owner of the ebay cattback, but you have no idea how **** he is about products on his car. I know I am VERY **** about fit and finish, so his idea of good might be very different from mine. I prefer more feedback from people before I jump on a product.
"you get what you pay for" does not mean "research what you buy." It means, if you buy something cheap (pay comparatively little money for something) then you're going to get a cheap product.
You may have wanted to do a little more research on your headers. Apparently Brian did. You can see what he had to say here
As far as your intake goes, the performance of the two is not the same. Plus, the look of the two is very different. Sure, you saved money, but you got a very different product.
I'm glad that you research your products before you buy them, and have been happy with them so far. However, you do not have this particular exhaust, and 03on18s does. Therefore, his opinions about THIS catback are potentially more valid than yours.
The proven catbacks that you're talking about aren't "a little more money." Some are more than double what this one costs. I definitely wouldn't consider double the money being just a little more.
With that said, I really don't care which catback he goes with. However, with only one person having this catback, and having him say it is worth the money, you can't say that it's a pos. If there were 10 people with this catback, and 9 out of the 10 were saying it's no good, then of course you could say that it's a pos.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:54 PM

You may have wanted to do a little more research on your headers. Apparently Brian did. You can see what he had to say here
As far as your intake goes, the performance of the two is not the same. Plus, the look of the two is very different. Sure, you saved money, but you got a very different product.

First off the GenII Cattman headers were not even close to being released when I got my headers. Besides I already responded to that post http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...5&postcount=68. I will not get back into what set of headers is better, it seems to be split right down the middle.

Now for the intake, I did not choose the Berk to "save money". I have no problem spending money on my car. I chose the Berk because it performs better. You loose a ton of low end power and spike a bit of power in the top end with the Injen. Thats why I did not buy it, the Injen is a "bling" mod if you ask me and I prefer function.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:05 PM

First off the GenII Cattman headers were not even close to being released when I got my headers. Besides I already responded to that post http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...5&postcount=68. I will not get back into what set of headers is better, it seems to be split right down the middle.

Now for the intake, I did not choose the Berk to "save money". I have no problem spending money on my car. I chose the Berk because it performs better. You loose a ton of low end power and spike a bit of power in the top end with the Injen. Thats why I did not buy it, the Injen is a "bling" mod if you ask me and I prefer function.
One dyno run doesn't really prove anything. There are outliers in any data set. From what Brian said, he consistenly sees the numbers (really an average) that he shows, whereas you just showed one person's numbers.

You can't see real world function of a "CAI" on the dyno. You simply can't get the "cold air" to the intake with the little fans that they use for the dyno. You're also not getting the hot air off of the asphault that the "CAI" is picking up either. The two designs are just way too different to ever get a true comparison of the two systems. Dyno runs just don't cut it for those two.
Edit: I'm no expert on the intakes, so what I post is not necessarily fact, but it makes sense to me.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:09 PM

You can't see real world function of a "CAI" on the dyno. You simply can't get the "cold air" to the intake with the little fans that they use for the dyno. You're also not getting the hot air off of the asphault that the "CAI" is picking up either. The two designs are just way too different to ever get a true comparison of the two systems. Dyno runs just don't cut it for those two.

Well Buttdyonos confirm massive low-end power loss... and thats on the street, with all that "cold" air.

You do know that Injen is not really a true CAI right?

Thats why some have removed the down pipe to make it more like the berk...
Old 12-19-2005, 01:18 PM

Well Buttdyonos confirm massive low-end power loss... and thats on the street, with all that "cold" air.

You do know that Injen is not really a true CAI right?

Thats why some have removed the down pipe to make it more like the berk...
Not very scientific.

That's why I use "CAI" as opposed to CAI.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:20 PM
Drug Money

03on18s is more credible than other reviewers here.

But definitely, people who own other systems tend to be more biased to their own (cattman, frankencar, etc.)

But either way, I'm just trying to get educated by starting this thread before I make a decision.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:23 PM
Drug Money

How did we get talking about intakes?
Old 12-19-2005, 01:27 PM

Not very scientific.

That's why I use "CAI" as opposed to CAI.

But with the "scientific" Dyno's you complain that they are inaccurate??

I would bet that if you left the snorkle on from your original intake with the Berk (like they suggest), that the Berk intake gets more cold air than the Injen.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:27 PM

Because this is the .org, we never stay on topic!
Old 12-19-2005, 01:34 PM

But with the "scientific" Dyno's you complain that they are inaccurate??

I would bet that if you left the snorkle on from your original intake with the Berk (like they suggest), that the Berk intake gets more cold air than the Injen.
That is correct. I don't like either of the two methods. Although, I do like the buttdyno a little more. With that one it doesn't cost you any money (save gas) to get inaccurate measurements.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:35 PM

Are you saying that you haven't been paying attention to your own thread? lol
Old 12-19-2005, 02:28 PM

thanks to all the people who backed me up. i didn't post in here to start a war - even though i apparently did. i was merely answering a person's question about this exhaust. if you wouldn't buy it, say so and move on. i did buy it and, right now, i can't see any important difference between this product and a greddy catback. the reason this product can be sold so cheaply is because the company that is producing them had essentially $0 design cost. they bought a greddy catback and copied it. therefore, they do not need to charge as much for the product because they don't have a year's worth of research and design costs to make up for.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:39 PM

Quick Reply: Anyone use an ebay Tsudo catback?