5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Car won't stay idle/ or sometimes won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 07:14 AM

Car won't stay idle/ or sometimes won't start

This morning on my way to work, I go outside to warm my car up before I leave the house. I have no problems starting the car so I went back into the house to grab something and when I came back out, the car had stalled.

I tried to crank it back up but it only turns over and will not fire up. It sounds like it gets close to starting but never does. A co-worker told me that it sounds like the crankshaft positioning sensor may have went out. I did a Google on this and now I know what it looks like but I have no idea where it's located on my engine.

My question is, does this sound like the part that is giving me the problems and if so, is this something I can replace on my own? Advanced Auto Parts has this product in stock for $70.

Can anyone of you provide more information on this and help a brother out during the Christmas Holiday?

I have a 2000 Nissan Maxima. Let me know if there is any more information needed. Thanks for ANY help you guys/gals can provide!

Travis
Old 12-23-2005, 11:40 AM

bump...anyone?
Old 12-23-2005, 01:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If you are wanting to test you cps here is the info.....
Specifications

Resistance [at 20 °C (68 °F) ]: 166.5 - 203.5 Ohms
There are 3 wires Red, white and black (or blue) schumatic only says R W and B
The Black (or blue) wire is ground, the white is reference, and the red looks like the signal wire. It looks like it is next to the crankshaft on the transmission side of the engine. at any rate we use camshaft position sensors, maf sensors, manifold absolute presure (vacuum) sensors,etc. It's been a long time but if my memory serves me correctly the reference wire should have 5v (while cranking), the ground should have .5? or less. and the signal should bounce from 0 to 5v....--someone correct me, I don't know if these are correct
I personally wouldn't condemn the cps just yet. Check battery voltage (sounds odd, but could be the cause), make sure all grounds and electrical connections are secure, make sure the maf is giving a signal to the ecm, etc.
Service procedure from alldata.
Service Procedure
1. Connect CONSULT. If the vehicle you are working with is not CONSULT compatible, or if you dont have one connect a tachometer (digital readout if possible).

2. Start the engine (the accelerator may have to be opened and/or the fuel pump fuse removed during cranking to get the engine to start), and warm it to operating temperature.

Note :
If the engine will not start after performing the above procedure, clean and dry the spark plugs, and attempt to start the engine again.

5. Disconnect the throttle position sensor (TPS) connector. Now re-start the engine.

Note :
When the engine is in this condition (TPS disconnected), the IACV-AAC valve and the ignition timing are held in a "fixed" position, and the idle speed is called "base idle." If the engine stalls with the TPS disconnected, the base idle speed is adjusted too low. Temporarily increase the base idle speed by turning the adjusting screw on the IACV-AAC valve until the engine will idle.

deleted some info here - irrevelant
10. Turn the engine off, and re-connect the TPS.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:55 AM

5thgen,

Thanks for all of your insight and help with this. So let me understand you correctly, there is no "crankshaft" but rather camshaft, maf, and vacuum sensors? My next question would be, is there any diagrams online to show me where on the engine these are located? I really need to know because I can't take it in to a shop because it won't stay idle.

I don't believe it's the battery because last night I started it up again and maybe 2-3 seconds afterwards it died on me. btw, what is CPS? I really don't have much knowledge with engines so all acronyms need to be spelled out, lol.

thanks again.
Old 12-25-2005, 12:45 AM

there is a recall from nissan on cps for the maxima call a nissan dealarship if yours is effected by giving your vin # that may help!
Old 12-25-2005, 06:39 AM

The recall wouldn't apply to him--he has a 2000. That recall only applies to 2002-2003 VQ35DE models.

The Crankshaft Position Sensor (POS) is located in the front (facing the radiator) mounted on the tranny (or actually riding the seam between the tranny and engine). It has a wiring harness going in underneath it, so you'll probably see a wiring loom coming from above and then curving upward into the sensor. A 10mm bolt holds it to its mounting hole I think.

There's another sensor up at the front of the engine mounted near the crank pulley I think, that's the crank. position sensor (REF) I think...
Old 12-25-2005, 09:19 PM

ive had similar problems in the past...it can really be a few things, maybe even maf, maybe the tps, or the iacv needs to be cleaned?