5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Suspension quiestions..

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 09:38 PM
99 SE-L

Suspension quiestions..

Hey guys Iam currently on Stechs/Blues and the ride is horrendous, Therefore iam looking to get illuminas to get rid of the bottoming out and bounciness, Now my Quiestion is will it get rid of the bad ride? Fellow freind Orger IGOR 911 said the springs are **** and the ride will suck with any shock becuase of the springs. Any input is appreciated...

Old 12-30-2005, 01:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Probably won't get rid of the bad ride, but they may improve it a bit. Being their adjustable you can set a softer ride, but I've had stech/illuminas on 5 and it's still a bit harsh. The roads here aren't that bad at all here, so I can roll on 2 or 3 settings fine.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:53 AM

i think its the s-techs, not the struts. maybe diff springs will improve your ride quality?
Old 12-30-2005, 08:43 AM
99 SE-L

Will the illumnas get rid of the bottoming out and crazy bounceiness, i dont care of a little harsh ride just not bounceiness nor crazy bottoming out..

Old 12-30-2005, 09:03 AM

no, you need different springs, try h-techs.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:18 PM

i agree with ricedout...try the h-techs
Old 12-31-2005, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by 99 SE-L
Will the illumnas get rid of the bottoming out and crazy bounceiness, i dont care of a little harsh ride just not bounceiness nor crazy bottoming out..
The bounceiness "yes" the bottoming out "no" it's all about being
on pothole patrol for that aspect.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:48 AM

The lower the drop, the more likely you'll bottom out regularly. It's a compromise. On S-techs, it'll be a big problem. If you're tired of bottoming, the solution is a less aggressive drop - i.e. H&R, Maxspeed, or H-tech. Struts won't solve your bottoming out issue. FWIW - I still love my H&R front only setup on stock struts after over 1 year on this setup. I ran Progress w/ Illuminas previously but bottomed out too often and found the ride too harsh on large road irregularities.
Old 12-31-2005, 09:46 AM
99 SE-L

Originally Posted by housecor
The lower the drop, the more likely you'll bottom out regularly. It's a compromise. On S-techs, it'll be a big problem. If you're tired of bottoming, the solution is a less aggressive drop - i.e. H&R, Maxspeed, or H-tech. Struts won't solve your bottoming out issue. FWIW - I still love my H&R front only setup on stock struts after over 1 year on this setup. I ran Progress w/ Illuminas previously but bottomed out too often and found the ride too harsh on large road irregularities.

Thanks for the Information man, I think I will go with H-tech...

Old 12-31-2005, 09:48 AM
99 SE-L

Originally Posted by Onemax
The bounceiness "yes" the bottoming out "no" it's all about being
on pothole patrol for that aspect.

Yeah i will probably go with Htechs, becuase car sits wayy to low with Stechs so i need to be very careful with the Maxxtuning lip..

Old 12-31-2005, 10:06 AM
2-Wheelin it...

Originally Posted by housecor
FWIW - I still love my H&R front only setup on stock struts after over 1 year on this setup.
you obviously know how much i agree with you =)
Old 12-31-2005, 11:23 AM
Driving is the next best thing

Bouncy ride is caused by the springs being too stiff for the shocks to handle. Bottoming out is caused by the springs being too soft for the allowed suspension travel. In other words, the f***ing s-techs are too stiff for your shocks but are too soft for the amount of travel they allow.

Getting better shocks will definitely improve you bouncy ride but it will help very little (or give no help at all) with bottoming out.

If you want a very low drop and not have a crappy handling the only way to go is coilovers. If a very low drop is not very important than get h-techs with illuminas.
Old 01-01-2006, 12:43 PM

Like I said to you 50x, S-Tech is trash. By buying illuminas, it won't fix your moon-bounce ride. My neck hurts everytime u drive me somewhere.

H-Tech is very suddle and about 1/4 finger higher than ur s-tech. My car didn't bounce, did it?
Old 01-01-2006, 09:21 PM
99 SE-L

Originally Posted by Igor911
Like I said to you 50x, S-Tech is trash. By buying illuminas, it won't fix your moon-bounce ride. My neck hurts everytime u drive me somewhere.

H-Tech is very suddle and about 1/4 finger higher than ur s-tech. My car didn't bounce, did it?

I know Igor lol, Htechs are on their way Is your neck feeling better lol?

Old 01-02-2006, 10:35 AM

i dont kno the answer for that lol, but i got one question,
I am looking for nice shocks and springs for my 2000 nissan maxima. I live in Indiana, roads here are not that greate, it can get ****ty. I found these Eibach springs/shocks on ebay. Guy lives in SC and he used them on his maxima for about 3months, I emaild him, and he said that he dosent give any wrnty on it. Can u guys tell me if this is such a good idea, should i get them or not?
will the ride be hard or soft.
thx
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3AUS%3A1&rd=1
thats the link to ebay item
Old 01-02-2006, 10:56 AM
2-Wheelin it...

Originally Posted by shift_2kmaxima
i dont kno the answer for that lol, but i got one question,
I am looking for nice shocks and springs for my 2000 nissan maxima. I live in Indiana, roads here are not that greate, it can get ****ty. I found these Eibach springs/shocks on ebay. Guy lives in SC and he used them on his maxima for about 3months, I emaild him, and he said that he dosent give any wrnty on it. Can u guys tell me if this is such a good idea, should i get them or not?
will the ride be hard or soft.
thx
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3AUS%3A1&rd=1
thats the link to ebay item
i've heard that eibach's are rather stiff. that would depend on you. in general, what i can say is that springs for the most part, do not "die". they last much much longer than struts. i could sell someone some springs that i had for 50k miles and i wouldn't hesitate that they are just as good. it's the struts that i would not buy used, but springs, i wouldnt' hesitate.
Old 01-02-2006, 01:14 PM

ok, thx
i prbly wonot get it, cause' i did some research and i found out that tokic struts are good, but idk if i should go with HP blues or Illuminas, i live in a city with really rough streets, a lot of holes, which is not good. All tho illuminas are coast more money, but do u guys think that i should go with Illuminas or HPs, but for springs, idk. Prbly maxspeed or something lol, as longest my car looks good, i just want it to be lil bit lower, not too much. Especially since i travel, and iam 17yrs old and i really dont watch on streets for all the holes and stuff, and i'll be hitting those lol
thx guys