5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Need Pics of the 5th or 5.5 gen underbody

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 04:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Need Pics of the 5.5 gen underbody

Hey guys I am trying desperatly to design SFCs that are better than the old warpspeed design. As irish was saying I want to include the front and rear subframes, but now that I am back at school I dont have access to the car. so I need a picture of the underbody so I can make a decision on where to tie into the front and rear subframe. The front subframe I am guessing I could tie in where the Stage 2 LTB ties in, but in the back I dont know where to tie in.

I am confident that the shop I'm going to can fabricate anything I could possibly want but I think I need to go to them with a design.

Thanks,
Josh
Old 01-22-2006, 08:58 PM

Still lookin for pics.. I am sure I wont be the only one who will be helped out by these pics
Old 01-22-2006, 09:30 PM

I don't have any good pics. You may want to look at a repair manual though. That should have good pics or at least some diagrams.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:15 AM

Page 3 of my cardomain
Old 01-23-2006, 03:05 PM
retired moderator

I'm getting some taken this week if I get a chance....
Old 01-23-2006, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
I'm getting some taken this week if I get a chance....
Alright Irish. You do realize I am holding off on bringin my car in to get the SFCs fabricated just because I want to hear your ideas on how to tie into the front and rear subframe because I feel this could be a very beneficial.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:36 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by sciff5
Alright Irish. You do realize I am holding off on bringin my car in to get the SFCs fabricated just because I want to hear your ideas on how to tie into the front and rear subframe because I feel this could be a very beneficial.
don't hold your breath....I'm very indecisive.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:22 PM

don't hold your breath....I'm very indecisive.
Myself as well thats why I am holding off. I want to make sure I have the best design before I go through with it
Old 01-27-2006, 11:48 AM

I suspect it will take more than pictures.

Dallas
WarpSpeed Performance
Old 01-27-2006, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by bmfjeep

Dallas
WarpSpeed Performance
Yeah.....what ^^^^ he said.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:05 PM
retired moderator

Dallas
WarpSpeed Performance
Well, it will be more productive than trying to get in touch with you. 2 emails about your ypipe > no replies. I have a Cattman ypipe now. 3 emails over the last year inquiring about SFCs > no replies. Seems to be a common theme. Hence the reason everyone is having their own SFCs fabricated. I had money in hand on every occasion on which I tried to contact you. You didn't respond. You lost two sales.

Believe it or not, you're not the only company who can make SFCs. I think my engineering degree + one of the best performance shops on the East Coast (for roll cages, etc) can do as good or better anyhow....

By the way, not AT ALL an impatient person. Just look at any threads in which I've talked about Frankencar's sometimes-slow customer service...I always stick up for them. But at least they eventually get back to inquiries. I can't say the same for you.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:13 PM
Play with my balls

Well, it will be more productive than trying to get in touch with you. 2 emails about your ypipe > no replies. I have a Cattman ypipe now. 3 emails over the last year inquiring about SFCs > no replies. Seems to be a common theme. Hence the reason everyone is having their own SFCs fabricated. I had money in hand on every occasion on which I tried to contact you. You didn't respond. You lost two sales.

Believe it or not, you're not the only company who can make SFCs. I think my engineering degree + one of the best performance shops on the East Coast (for roll cages, etc) can do as good or better anyhow....

By the way, not AT ALL an impatient person. Just look at any threads in which I've talked about Frankencar's sometimes-slow customer service...I always stick up for them. But at least they eventually get back to inquiries. I can't say the same for you.

Pwnt F5 Pwnt Pwnt F5 F5
Old 01-27-2006, 01:39 PM

Dallas
WarpSpeed Performance
holy crap I cant believe he actually responded. Why are you wasting your time on the boards responding to messages when you have missed out on tons of potential sales because you never got back to anyone including myself? I called several times (WITH MONEY IN HAND) and never got a straight answer on when I would be able to get SFCs.

I got fed up and went somewhere else, as did other people.
Old 01-28-2006, 07:51 AM

We've had difficulties with a building contrator which has kept one of our subframe lines down for an extended period. We have been operating on a schedule which has changed weekly. Now that our attorney has given them a schedule we should be back online shortly, we are moving our office Monday and hopefully into the new shop in two weeks. I may miss an email once in a while for that I apologize, I am usually available by phone.

Once we're in we'll offer a real good group buy on subframes via Redline Maxima.

We regret the inconvenience, it has been very frustrating for us, this was the one time I could not solve the situation simply by simply beating the f### out of someone.

regards
Dallas

WarpSpeed Performance
Old 01-28-2006, 07:56 AM

One other thing, if you are going to copy our stuff, you might not want to discuss it on a public forum. Maxima.org cannot indemnify themselves from any damages that might occur due to the discussion of the copying of our designs, a couple of nice things about paying for an attorney is that they are a fountain of information.

regards
Dallas
WarpSpeed Performance
Old 01-28-2006, 08:14 AM

Yeah, way to go Dallas. Attacking IRISH and threatening Maxima.org is a brilliant marketing move! Like that kind of smack talking is going to get you business from .Org members. NOT! I bought your B-Pipe and it didn't fit without some cutting and welding. I was stupid enought to place an order for your Y-Pipe and....thank God.....you never filled the order saying "by phone" a couple of months later that you must have lost the order. I have to thank you for that because I now own a Cattman Y-Pipe and could not be happier with the customer service, the quality and fit of the part and the performance. I could smell your Y-Pipe a mile away when Redline try to re-market your product. Your excuses for poor customer service just do not cut it. Org member are very patient and understanding but there is a point after which you have burned that bridge. Dude, if you think "simply beating the f*** out of someone" is the way to solve a problem then it's a good thing you have an attorney. I think you need to remove your "I support Maxima.org" from your signature because it means more than just paying a registration fee!
Old 01-28-2006, 02:56 PM
retired moderator

I was willing to take you at your word about your sourcing/supplier problems and am aware that you are a "small business" ala frankencar, blehm, etc....whereas your manpower may be limited. I was just going to leave it at that. But your follow-up post just p1sses me off.....so now I'm going to speak my mind (and yes, it is a free country and I can do so):

One other thing, if you are going to copy our stuff, you might not want to discuss it on a public forum. Maxima.org cannot indemnify themselves from any damages that might occur due to the discussion of the copying of our designs, a couple of nice things about paying for an attorney is that they are a fountain of information.
So, you're saying you're going to sue Sprint and the org administrators for patent infringement, for allowing discussion of building SFCs with a similar general design to yours....

Allow me to let you in on a little secret: You did not invent subframe bracing for cars, you did not invent "welding a rolled steel bar to the underside of the car", and neither did you invent cross-braces. Hell, I'd better tell Matt Blehm that he can't make the 2-piece 6th gen rotors, because they are of the same "general design" as Brembo rotor or Nissan Rotors...You don't own the rights to JACK SH*T except your specific, exact design. And even then, I doubt it's proprietary. People long before you were welding reinforcing bars to parallel their cars' frame rails - it's really the only way to do it. How did that lawsuit against Cattman for "copying the Warpspeed y-pipe design" work out? Oh wait...was there one?

Acting like Mr. Tough guy spouting off about "attorneys" and whatnot doesn't scare anyone here. We can weld or fabricate whatever we desire on to the undersides of our car, and you have NO RECOURSE unless we precisely copy your design in attachment points, size, and materials. And even then....what are you going to do - fly around the country and take measurements of the underbody of peoples' cars? Please. Making ridiculous comments like that is not the way to endear yourself to anyone.

And why would we copy your design anyways? There are comparable or better designs to be made.....maybe I'll use different steel, different diameter tubing, different attachment points...who knows? Either way, I won't take measurements and tell my shop to 'copy' yours.

As to your excuses about why or why not you can't get your products made in a reasonable time frame..... Frankly, that is not our concern - it's yours. All businesses have to deal with distributors/contractors who sometimes are not reliable. Good businesses have alternate sources of materials and equipment, or alternate work areas if construction is being done. You don't need a high-tech factory to fabricate your SFCs. I've seen your SFCs in person, on several cars. While they are a fine (read: standard) design, they could be built by any fabrication shop or decent welder with access to very pedestrian steel stock. Piper Motorsports (local) opined to me that they could build a similar (read: improved, and not the same as yours) longitudinal brace onto my car in about 2 hours....and they can do it "whenever I'm ready." And they are a VERY busy company in this area, with usually dozens of cars in the garage getting custom roll cages, frame stiffening, etc built. You don't do a HUGE volume in SFC's, I'm sure - there must be another source/location you could use that wouldn't take over a year to make them. Your website still says "new-design SFCs for the Maxima coming in FEBRUARY 2005". Well, it's almost February 2006 now.

But, regardless of whether or not you have product in stock or available, your customer service (read: lack thereof) is well-documented on the org. Yes, I'm speaking for my own experience here. A "sorry" for missing one email is acceptable. Maybe two. I have sent you five, all of them weeks/months apart, and never recieved any response. Companies like Frankencar, Berk, Energy Suspension, Cattman, RedlineMax, etc....they all get back to their customers fast. I rarely have to wait more than a day or two for a response.

If Corey wants to sell your stuff through RedlineMax (a company known for its GOOD customer service), well...it's his company. I was under the impression that RedlineMax was going to design some "new-design" SFCs. Corey asked me to test-fit for him. But if they are going to be Warpspeed...we'll see what happens.

Anyhow...keep digging yourself a hole. Around here, actions speak louder than words. Either put up or shut up. You can talk all you want, threaten to sue people, make excuses for poor service and lack of product, make excuses for poor product fitament, etc - but until you come through with 1) product, 2) less attitude and excuses, and 3) good customer service - don't expect anyone to put any confidence in your company.

There is a reason that other small companies like Cattman, BlehmCo, Berk, etc are highly-regarded around here: The don't just talk, they produce. As an example: I know you have a "gentlemen's agreement" with Matt Blehm for him not to make SFCs, but I can assure you that if he started making his own SFCs tomorrow, you would no longer have any market at all for yours. Because we all know he follows up with his customers or prospective customers.....If only.....

If you would stop B.s'ing around with everyone and being a year late on producing a product (SFCs) that you said you were working on, all would be fine.

Or simply say: "Hey maxima.org, I will not be making SFCs until further notice." Don't say Feb 05 and then leave everyone hanging. Gracefully bow out of the game and let another manufacturer make them.
Old 01-28-2006, 03:07 PM
retired moderator

By the way, Dallas....please note the "discussion" in this thread:

Hey guys I am trying desperatly to design SFCs that are better than the old warpspeed design.
The only mention of your design is in "designing SFCs that are better than the old warpspeed design"...and I think he is referring to the cross-bracing (which I am not going to do, personally)

I don't see any posts talking about copying your design anyhow....

All references are to using your design for general reference. I haven't seen anyone take measurements, do steel analysis, etc. A round steel bar welded onto a car is not a unique design, as I stated above. Any "stage 1" SFC for the maxima is nothing more than a steel bar attached to the frame rails. There's really no other way to do it, and it's not rocket science to say so.
Old 01-28-2006, 04:19 PM

haha usually I would jump in here and make plenty of comments but to be honest irish has already said pretty much everything that needs to be said.

I'm in total agreement

And the whole attorney thing was far from tactfull. Dallas you had a product which was well recieved by the market, and you were the sole manufacturer of the product. Usually in business those are the 2 hardest things to achieve.. and you had them both and you kinda screwed yourself over my making one empty promise after another and providing horrible customer support. You burned bridges and I dont think there is any recovering from it really..

The whole being a small business thing isnt really an excuse either. Look at Matt Blehm.. I have to say that guy is on top of his work, and he works alone. He also takes the time to answer questions and shoot the **** a little on the boards.

I am a pretty loyal customer to people who take care of me, and I will pay extra money to buy things from those people instead of getting them elsewhere, unlike Irish I am not so patient so I want to be assured of exactly when my part is gonna arive and what kind of condtion its gonna be in today and 5 years from now.
Old 01-28-2006, 04:28 PM

i completely agree with both irish and gary...there is NO excuse for the amount of time you've taken to reveal your reasons for the delay on the SFCs....i heard countless horror stories of people trying to get in contact with you without success, which just goes to show what comes first to you...
Old 01-28-2006, 05:33 PM

And that is why Warpspeed will never see a cent of my money....
Old 01-28-2006, 06:05 PM
† ErV †

+1 for irish

last time a merchant delayed my purchase and refused to answer my calls and emails, i filed a claim. they responded within 20 hours. how odd wouldn't you say.

Old 01-29-2006, 04:57 AM

sorry to ask this but whats an sbc? and what does it do? thanxs
Old 01-29-2006, 01:42 PM
Cletus

Well Warpspeed will now be boycotted. I hope you enjoyed your short run. I see you are all about claming that people steal your ideas. You blame Cattman for stealing the design of your y-pipe when they designed and produced a BETTER product. I regret ever buying your y-pipe that I had on my 2000. When I totaled the car I removed everything that I though was worth keeping. The y-pipe is where it belongs…rusting in a salvage yard.
Why should be purchase from a company that -
A.makes inferior products
B.threatens people who try to make a better product
C.have terrible customer service (that you made public by posting it here)
Old 01-29-2006, 02:41 PM

regards
Dallas
WarpSpeed Performance
Sorry, unless you file a patent, there's no grounds for litigation. Plus, it would not be worth your effort to even file a patent since it takes a lot of effort and money to prosecute a patent. Let it also be known that anyone can hire an attorney...
Old 01-29-2006, 05:09 PM

Well it looks like Dallas pretty much himself. I've never done business with him and can say that now I never will.

Anyhou, to be honest, I havent thought too much about SFC's until recently. Better handling is always nice, but my Eibachs already make me pretty happy. I would really like to do this to (obviously) stiffen up the frame for comfort. The stiffer the frame over bumps and the less jarring they become. So let's see what you guys think of some ideas I've been playing with.

What about 3/4" tubing running in an X along the bottom of the car mounting somewhere on the front and rear sub frames (bolt-on). The tubing would be bent to the contour of the undercarriage, hugging the frame rails in the four places they and the tubing intersect. Other cross members could be added if there was a need, but that is something to look at if and when I get there.

Personally I feel a bit weird about welding to the bottom of my floorboard. So I would make some mounting brackets (welded to the brace) which can be bolted to the frame rails at the four intersection points. I would feel much better about drilling a few holes in the frame rails which can be easily protected against rust.

I think this design would be relatively easily installed, and even easier to remove if there were ever a need.

Shipping would be a b!tch because it would be all one big piece, but I'm not too worried about that because it's something I would fabricate myself.

I just coming up with ideas on the spot and talking out of my a$$... But what do you guys think? See any major downfalls?

BTW, I hope nobody tries to sue me for this
Old 01-29-2006, 05:46 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by NewLoveI30
Well it looks like Dallas pretty much himself. I've never done business with him and can say that now I never will.

Anyhou, to be honest, I havent thought too much about SFC's until recently. Better handling is always nice, but my Eibachs already make me pretty happy. I would really like to do this to (obviously) stiffen up the frame for comfort. The stiffer the frame over bumps and the less jarring they become. So let's see what you guys think of some ideas I've been playing with.

What about 3/4" tubing running in an X along the bottom of the car mounting somewhere on the front and rear sub frames (bolt-on). The tubing would be bent to the contour of the undercarriage, hugging the frame rails in the four places they and the tubing intersect. Other cross members could be added if there was a need, but that is something to look at if and when I get there.

Personally I feel a bit weird about welding to the bottom of my floorboard. So I would make some mounting brackets (welded to the brace) which can be bolted to the frame rails at the four intersection points. I would feel much better about drilling a few holes in the frame rails which can be easily protected against rust.

I think this design would be relatively easily installed, and even easier to remove if there were ever a need.

Shipping would be a b!tch because it would be all one big piece, but I'm not too worried about that because it's something I would fabricate myself.

I just coming up with ideas on the spot and talking out of my a$$... But what do you guys think? See any major downfalls?

BTW, I hope nobody tries to sue me for this
NewLove - there is a BIG thread going on about SFC design in the autocross forum....I would check that out and comment there - since that is where many of us who are 'serious' about this are talking about it.....
Old 01-29-2006, 08:02 PM

NewLove - there is a BIG thread going on about SFC design in the autocross forum....I would check that out and comment there - since that is where many of us who are 'serious' about this are talking about it.....
Just hope your not implying that I'm not serious about it
Old 01-29-2006, 08:29 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by sciff5
Just hope your not implying that I'm not serious about it
no, I'm implying that it's there because the autocross forum is usually the best source of technical discussion on matters such as this - not the 5th gen forum.

This thread really hasn't had any technical discussion in it at all, really....

btw, you did see that I took pics of the underside of the car, right?
Old 01-30-2006, 08:00 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

I will never understand this thing with Warpspeed and Dallas...

When I called last May/June I got thru to Dallas every time (I called like 4~5 times) and we talked about putting SFCs on my Maxima. Dallas always had time to talk to me and we even discussed what the best route to get to their shop. I stopped by Warpspeed on my way to Maxus and got the new SFCs on my car. They also fixed the old B-pipe installed from the previous owner and put a quieter resonator on it.

Had a great time hanging out with the crew and learned a bit about welding and exhaust from these guys and they even bought me lunch while I was waiting.

So as to what happened.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:18 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by 98SEBlackMax
I will never understand this thing with Warpspeed and Dallas...

When I called last May/June I got thru to Dallas every time (I called like 4~5 times) and we talked about putting SFCs on my Maxima. Dallas always had time to talk to me and we even discussed what the best route to get to their shop. I stopped by Warpspeed on my way to Maxus and got the new SFCs on my car. They also fixed the old B-pipe installed from the previous owner and put a quieter resonator on it.

Had a great time hanging out with the crew and learned a bit about welding and exhaust from these guys and they even bought me lunch while I was waiting.

So as to what happened.
also....it always surprises me how one person can get such good service and so many others get none.....in any case, I'm not saying Dallas isn't a nice guy (I've heard he is) - nothing I'm saying here is personal....it's just about his business. Plenty of good/nice/cool people are just bad businesspeople, and that's probably the case here.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:47 PM
I R The Law

+1 for irish

dallas's business just got super burned. i want SFC but warpspeed just lost another buyer from his so called threats to a well respected .org member. i wish someone else would design SFC for our cars
Old 06-18-2007, 10:55 AM

Bump! For an old thread.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:00 AM
dot dot dot ...

Why bump an old thread unless you have pertinent and usable information/pics/data to contribute w/re: to the OP?
Old 06-18-2007, 11:04 AM

I think it has some content some people might like to see.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:07 AM
dot dot dot ...

Read rule #5.

http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...42&postcount=1
Old 06-18-2007, 11:15 AM

Alright I see Maybe what I really wanted to point out bmfjeep has added another company to his bash list. http://www.warpspeedperformance.com/sfcs.htm And I want people to see what he is really about. Slamming anyone with an idea thats willing to supply help and products to a great community.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by funky_monkey58
Alright I see Maybe what I really wanted to point out bmfjeep has added another company to his bash list. http://www.warpspeedperformance.com/sfcs.htm And I want people to see what he is really about. Slamming anyone with an idea thats willing to supply help and products to a great community.
OK that's bullsh*t. Trust me, I support your product much moreso than theirs.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by LA02MAX
OK that's bullsh*t. Trust me, I support your product much moreso than theirs.
Thank you. It just kinda bugs me that another company would even try to use tactics like these to attempt more sales.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:35 AM

I think Dallas may learn a lesson from this the hard way in business 101. When you have a relatively small group of people who spend big bucks on a few products that make up your business, it's not a good idea to threaten one of them on a public board where the rest of them will read it! Selling to a small specialized market like this requires talking a good game and then backing it up. When you threaten to sue somebody publicly for something that's not even illegal, and the rest of your customers read it - you're done. I'm probably not a subframe connector buyer, but I do buy stuff, and actually I have a warpspeed Y pipe (that I bought used ) but this guarantees I will not even consider warpspeed for any future mods. Cattman, Blemco, and others will probably gain some customers from this thread.

Quick Reply: Need Pics of the 5th or 5.5 gen underbody