5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Re-Programming factory keys

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2001, 10:39 PM

Anyone out there know if there is a way to reprogram the factory keys without going back to the dealer?? I just purchased a 2001 SE. Absolutely hate going to the dealer. Would like to avoid at all costs. Damn dealership wants me to leave the car for a few hours. Bull*#@^....I've only had the car three weeks, went to use the valet key....No luck. The car just cranks and cranks. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-09-2001, 12:44 AM

I don't think there's a way to reprogram the keys by ourselves. I think you have to go to the dealer to get it reprogrammed. By the way, what's your problem? immobilizer preventing your car from starting?
Old 06-09-2001, 07:40 AM

Before you leave the dealer, check all of the keys a couple of times to be sure they work. When I got my car (a demo), it only had one master and one valet key. I went back to get another master key, which meant they had to re-program all of the keys. When they brought the car around after they had finished, they had the car running on the valet key. I turned it off, and tried to start it on the master key. Wouldn't start. Took about an hour to get everything working again. I would not have been happy had I gotten home without turning off the engine, then found out that the keys weren't programmed correctly. Maybe I have an inept dealer (surprise?). Also, service rep said don't put your grocery store card on your key ring next to the car key, swiping the card at the checkout can scramble the programming of the key.
Old 06-09-2001, 11:20 AM

stockmax,
yeah same damn problem...Second time already!! Brought the car home after they had to reprogram new master key. Dealer had all three...2 masters and one valet. I asked the guy if all were good..said no problem after waiting 45 minutes. Didn't think twice...went to try and use the valet key about 2 weeks later....Damn immoblizer kicks in. I hate my freakin dealer. But you guys said there's no way we can reprogram ourselves. Guess I'm S.O.L. I'll be waiting another hour at the dealer. I know with my new Ford, which also has the chip...there's a way to reprogram the keys at home. Oh well.
Old 06-11-2001, 05:55 PM

Went to a real locksmith (i.e., not K-Mart) for a house key. While I was there, I asked him about a Maxima key. I've now got an extra spare for $35. So, try a local locksmith (and you'll need to have all of your keys with you).
Old 06-11-2001, 06:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I would always try other dealers, 3 hours are BS and the job is like a 5 mintues job....I had mine programmed where I bought the car, it was really nothing

Originally posted by 98blkmax
Anyone out there know if there is a way to reprogram the factory keys without going back to the dealer?? I just purchased a 2001 SE. Absolutely hate going to the dealer. Would like to avoid at all costs. Damn dealership wants me to leave the car for a few hours. Bull*#@^....I've only had the car three weeks, went to use the valet key....No luck. The car just cranks and cranks. Thanks in advance.