5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

A Few Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2001, 05:20 PM
CB1

I'm looking at buying a new Maxima... I went to cars.com and did a search for passenger cars under 23000, manual transmission and more than 210 Horses and this is the only car that popped up. After reading some threads here and at other places I have a few questions about the car. How does the MAF work with the EEC? I ask because with my 92 Cougar when you run at WOT the EEC completely ignores the MAF and just runs a preset program... This means if you modify the intake too much and then run at WOT you get the wrong air fuel mixture and start getting detonation... bad things. Also.. These are front wheel drive right?? What's with the solid rear axle?? I understand that this makes them lean pretty hard in the corners.. How much does front and rear sway bars improve this?? Last question.. I hear that the acceleration from the line isn't that great... In fact they are exactly the same as the 4th gen maximas up until the top of 2nd. Has anyone notice a significant improvement by installing underdrive pulleys?

Thanks in advance.
CB

Old 06-09-2001, 08:13 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by CB1
I'm looking at buying a new Maxima... I went to cars.com and did a search for passenger cars under 23000, manual transmission and more than 210 Horses and this is the only car that popped up. After reading some threads here and at other places I have a few questions about the car. How does the MAF work with the EEC? I ask because with my 92 Cougar when you run at WOT the EEC completely ignores the MAF and just runs a preset program... This means if you modify the intake too much and then run at WOT you get the wrong air fuel mixture and start getting detonation... bad things. Also.. These are front wheel drive right?? What's with the solid rear axle?? I understand that this makes them lean pretty hard in the corners.. How much does front and rear sway bars improve this?? Last question.. I hear that the acceleration from the line isn't that great... In fact they are exactly the same as the 4th gen maximas up until the top of 2nd. Has anyone notice a significant improvement by installing underdrive pulleys?

Thanks in advance.
CB
alright CB1 - I’m a newbie but I'll give it a shot....

Regarding the MAF question - my guess is that the ECU is still reading the MAF at WOT - but this is just a guess. I've experienced no detonation as far as I can tell - the engine revs up so smoothly that I have no reservations about running it at WOT other than accelerating normal engine wear.

rear axle? - it's ancient technology but probably used to keeps costs down - you can easily far improve handling by adding a RSW/FSTB.

The pulley was my second mod after my OSCAI - which is a very easily done custom intake using the stock air scoop(do a search for more info) and a mod you can definitely feel - materials for it were under $10 bucks!

I think the benefits of the pulley are better realized in conjunction with other mods so I'd make this one of my last mods. Acceleration is improved a bit, especially from a standstill, but I was somewhat disappointed when I first got it (probably because I've got an auto - I'm sure its benefits are more noticeable on manuals). But I don't regret it because it is a mod you can also feel.

As far as the 5th gen being any faster than a 4th gen - doubt it - the 5th gen's got more ponies but it's heavier, BUT the top-end is better.

I just bought my Max a couple of months ago simply because I got a great deal and it was just the best bang for the buck. I was considering the CLs, TL, 330i, 325i, and a 98-99 M3. Don't get me wrong, I had second thoughs for a couple of weeks after I bought it - but it just keeps growing on me and after just the basic mods I've done I'm actually very happy with it.
Old 06-09-2001, 08:54 PM

There is no front sway bar available for the 5th Gen Max: only the rear sway bar is available. There are front and rear strut bars available, however.

A RSB and FSTB will improve the handling characteristics greatly, in addition to throwing on some different springs and shocks. Replacement tires will help, too. Remember, though, this is a family sedan. If you want to go all out performance, there is a coilover setup or two available, which will make the car handle like its on a rail.

I feel the peformance in stock trim from a stand still is adequate for the type of car and the size. I realize I'm not driving a Miata, '69 Cobra, or a Porsche. It's more important to finish well than to start well.