5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Natl Autocare warranty f@$#ed me over

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006 | 08:53 AM
THIS IS...

Natl Autocare warranty f@$#ed me over

So I recently found out that my passenger side rear "strut rod" is leaking, there is this gel/oil leaking out of it onto my driveway. So I took it in to have it looked at and stealership says that they can only fix it if they replace the ENITRE CROSSMEMBER, why the hell cant they just replace that one strut. Anyways they put in a call to my warranty company and they said they will not cover it because it is the strut rod thats leaking, if it was the strut itself they would cover it. What kind of bullsh!t is this? I paid 1200.00 for this warranty that covers me until 100K and they wont even cover the entire suspension? So I am basically unless I can come up with 800.00 to fix it....
Old 02-16-2006 | 09:10 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My extended warranty does not cover my struts either. So you have a blown strut?? If thats the case it is not $800 to fix... Find out more of whats wrong, can you take a pic of the problem?
Old 02-16-2006 | 09:12 AM
大陆弟弟

Why a new crossmember if only a strut is blown? can't you just get a new OEM strut and call it a day?
Old 02-16-2006 | 09:18 AM
THIS IS...

Well, yes I can get and OEM strut and call it a day, however I wanted my warranty to cover it. Thats why I am pissed. My dealership says they cannot replace one strut without replacing the whole crossmember...Makes no sense I know. Yes, I will try to get some pics up as soon as I can get it onto a lift.
Old 02-16-2006 | 09:19 AM
大陆弟弟

Just to show again that 3rd party warranties are teh sux00rz...
Old 02-16-2006 | 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by alpinestars
Well, yes I can get and OEM strut and call it a day, however I wanted my warranty to cover it. Thats why I am pissed. My dealership says they cannot replace one strut without replacing the whole crossmember...Makes no sense I know. Yes, I will try to get some pics up as soon as I can get it onto a lift.

What F*ing "crossmember" are they talking about?
Old 02-16-2006 | 09:23 AM
THIS IS...

Originally Posted by n3985
Agreed.

I wish I knew what "crossmember" they were talking about...
Old 02-16-2006 | 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by n3985

Mine has been great, more than paid itself off by about $800. The only stuff they dont replace are wearable items that expected to go before the 100k mark, such as; struts, fluids, exhaust, brakes, tires...

Everything else is covered on my car. Not to mention I can bring my car anywhere I want, like my brothers garage so I dont have to deal with the Nissan techs.

Half of what has been covered on my car would have never been covered if I had to go to Nissan.
Old 02-16-2006 | 09:31 AM

They dont cover that stuff for a reason, everyone would be having them replaced because they are wearable items. If they covered all that stuff, that $1,200 warranty would cost $2,000+.
Old 02-16-2006 | 09:44 AM

The Nissan Security+Plus covers struts and coil springs. But you are right the cost was around $2000...but I have to say I am approaching that number quick with 87K on the odometer
Old 02-16-2006 | 09:48 AM

Well..

Just replace the strut no big deal. As a matter of fact in the 5th gen 4/sale forum you could get one oem strut dirt cheap & put it in yourself or have a friend help. Go to your dealer & have them put it in writing that you need to replace your crossmember because your strut is leaking oil this way you have some fraud eveidence you can fax to Nissan corp of America.
Old 02-16-2006 | 09:54 AM

I bought my 2K from a Toyota dealer and paid about $1000 for a Fidelity Warranty Services warranty. This is the "Gold Coverage" plan and covers the following suspension components:

front & rear control arms, shafts and bushings, upper and lower ball joints, struts, wheel bearings, spindle and spindle support, coils or leaf springs, electronic level control components, stabilizer bar and bushings.

On a related note, I posted this in another thread:

Make sure and read the fine print or the back of the contract regarding the
contact period. I bought a Fidelity warranty for my 2K when I got it in Oct '02. The front of the contract (and the way it was explained and sold) says it's a 72 month or 100,000 mile contract. So one would think it would be good for 72 months form the date I purchased it or until I hit 100K miles right? Nope fine print says unless the car had less than 6,000 miles on it when purchased (mine had 32K) the contract expires on Jan 1st 72 months from the vehicle's model year. So in reality, this 6 year warranty was almost 3 years old when I bought the car!

Needless to say, I was quite pissed to find this out when I took the car in for a noise in the front end and was told I had a blown strut and possibly needed the sway bar links replaced.
Old 02-16-2006 | 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by alpinestars
So I recently found out that my passenger side rear "strut rod" is leaking, there is this gel/oil leaking out of it onto my driveway. So I took it in to have it looked at and stealership says that they can only fix it if they replace the ENITRE CROSSMEMBER, why the hell cant they just replace that one strut. Anyways they put in a call to my warranty company and they said they will not cover it because it is the strut rod thats leaking, if it was the strut itself they would cover it. What kind of bullsh!t is this? I paid 1200.00 for this warranty that covers me until 100K and they wont even cover the entire suspension? So I am basically unless I can come up with 800.00 to fix it....
We're talking about a rear beam, and the bushings are leaking at pivot points on the frame.

WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT STRUTS.

This is becoming a problem, that I have been seeing with other Maximas, as they get into 6 digit mileage. I recently bought a 2K Maxima w/ 230K+Mi, and the bushings were bone dry, but guess what ? Energy Suspensions makes a bushing for it, so I'm gonna be installing at work this weekend.
Old 02-16-2006 | 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by nismo_star
We're talking about a rear beam, and the bushings are leaking at pivot points on the frame.

WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT STRUTS.

This is becoming a problem, that I have been seeing with other Maximas, as they get into 6 digit mileage. I recently bought a 2K Maxima w/ 230K+Mi, and the bushings were bone dry, but guess what ? Energy Suspensions makes a bushing for it, so I'm gonna be installing at work this weekend.
Good luck with that. It was hell for me, putting these bushings on. Let me know how the install goes for you and what your opinions are about the bushings. I wish I hadn't replace them. Rear is stiff but all the road harshness is amplified with these bushings. Too much for my taste. I should add that I have 235/45R17 tires on my 17s, maxspeed springs and GR-2 struts. I don't blame you for getting these bushings though, it's either the ES bushings or the whole trailing arm assembly for $500+ I believe.
Old 02-16-2006 | 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by qballjr13
The Nissan Security+Plus covers struts and coil springs. But you are right the cost was around $2000...but I have to say I am approaching that number quick with 87K on the odometer
Are you sure about that? I know of no warranty that covers struts. They are generally regarded as consumable items, like brakes and wipers.
Old 02-17-2006 | 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by bigEL
Are you sure about that? I know of no warranty that covers struts. They are generally regarded as consumable items, like brakes and wipers.
I thought the same until a I read through mine...as I said above:

I bought my 2K from a Toyota dealer and paid about $1000 for a Fidelity Warranty Services warranty. This is the "Gold Coverage" plan and covers the following suspension components:

front & rear control arms, shafts and bushings, upper and lower ball joints, struts, wheel bearings, spindle and spindle support, coils or leaf springs, electronic level control components, stabilizer bar and bushings.
Old 02-17-2006 | 12:14 PM

We had a minivan with an aftermarket warranty, and our transmission went. They tried a lot of excuses and said they weren't gonna pay for it, so my dad sent them a letter saying if they didn't do something about the problem, my dad was going to write a letter to the attorney general, and the better business bureau complaining. A few days later, there was a message on the machine saying they had "changed their mind" and will now cover everything, including a rental. Also, I've heard from more than one person that changing both struts at once is strongly recommended, but not an absolute rule.
Old 02-17-2006 | 12:44 PM

i would recommend changing both rear out because yull have one side higher than the other and then give those dealers a piece of your mind
Old 02-17-2006 | 01:01 PM
THIS IS...

Yeah, I am just going to change them out, myabe Ill just go ahead and put illuminas all around with some better springs...Warranty companies are