5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Anyone install aftermarket heated seats?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 06:06 PM

Anyone install aftermarket heated seats?

Have YOU installed them? By this I dont mean a pro-installer...

Reason I ask is because our seat comes with a channel down the middle of the seat in 02/03 and was wondering if you have pics of how u installed the elements?

Should I just hog ring the edges of it? But then how does the channel lock in, in the middle?

This prolly will make more sense if I had pics...I'll take some tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:22 PM

I havent installed them (sorry), but you have to cut a slit in the element (will still work unless you cut it in half). The leather is hogringed through the seat (making the crack down the center), so that is what the slit is for.

You dont need to secure the element to the seat though... If that's what you were saying.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by NewLoveI30
I havent installed them (sorry), but you have to cut a slit in the element (will still work unless you cut it in half). The leather is hogringed through the seat (making the crack down the center), so that is what the slit is for.

You dont need to secure the element to the seat though... If that's what you were saying.
in the manual it says you can make holes in the element but then you have to use some special tape surrounding that goes over it.

I was unaware that you can actually cut slits.

If I don't secure the element, what guarantee will I have it wont slide off and bunch up in the future?
Old 02-26-2006, 06:34 PM

I imagine you can just tape off the entire slit, so to the element there is no hole. Im not saying to cut it in half, just a slit (hole) in the middle.

The element is not going to go anywhere because the seat will be pulled down through the middle of it. The leather is on there tight enough to where I really cant see the element going anywhere.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by NewLoveI30
I imagine you can just tape off the entire slit, so to the element there is no hole. Im not saying to cut it in half, just a slit (hole) in the middle.

The element is not going to go anywhere because the seat will be pulled down through the middle of it. The leather is on there tight enough to where I really cant see the element going anywhere.
Not sure...

I'm gonna try to get a hold of the manufacturer and see what they have to say. Im sure something like this comes up all the time
Old 02-27-2006, 09:31 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have installed the factory heated seats. I dont exactly get what you were trying to get at. It was pretty easy except getting the leather off. The elements themselves are kinda of like this where the dotted line is the top part and bottem part connected on the outter edge. (in between the dotted lines is space, there is nothing there.) the solid lines are the heating elements themselves
|---------- ---|
|---------- ---|
|____________|
|____________|
|____________|

As for the hog pliers. I just used needle nose pliers and lymen pliers (if that's how you spell it) and it came of easily. The back part of the seat ( the map holder part) snaps off like the rear deck or the trunk lining is. then you can get to all the stuff to take the leather off.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Fezzik
I have installed the factory heated seats. I dont exactly get what you were trying to get at. It was pretty easy except getting the leather off. The elements themselves are kinda of like this where the dotted line is the top part and bottem part connected on the outter edge. (in between the dotted lines is space, there is nothing there.) the solid lines are the heating elements themselves
|---------- ---|
|---------- ---|
|____________|
|____________|
|____________|
Hey, thanks for the help. Unfortunatly, I purchased after-market heating elements so they were not designed for our seats. Mine look different from your description and picture. Looks like I need some cutting.

BTW - I got the leather off...How the heck does it go back on
Old 02-27-2006, 02:14 PM

LOL. good luck putting it back on. Taking the tension off was easy on the leather but its tough putting it back. I got a few cuts from trying this.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:53 PM

I've done this Igor with the aftermarket heaters. What brand did you get Hezergeit? lol, or something like that?

Anywhere you make a hole in that element you will not get heat in that area running across your legs. DO NOT CUT A SLOT IN THEM!!!!!

That middle seam is held down by a velcro like attachment. The two outer seems are hog rings you have to cut out. You reattach the leather using the wire ties they included replacing the hog rings you removed. Work from the front of the seat to the rear when reattaching the leather to the bottom of the seat pan. I got many cuts doing this also.

I was told the proper way to do it (from the manufacturer) was to sew in velcro on the top of the element than tuck it as far in the crack as possible, than attach middle seam to the velcro.

I just left the middle unattached for now. Gonna try the velcro once it warms up and I get a chance to pull the seats again.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:11 PM

I guess it depends on the type of element. I've seen a couple kits where it expressly says you can cut holes without affecting heat transfer.

I would call the mfg. and ask them just to make sure.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:26 PM

Very true NewLove. It does depend on the kit. It's either carbon like most aftermarket kits or it is the wire kind like from Nissan.

The heat will transfer past the dead spot, but you will have deadspots wherever a hole is made.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by StL I30
I've done this Igor with the aftermarket heaters. What brand did you get Hezergeit? lol, or something like that?

Anywhere you make a hole in that element you will not get heat in that area running across your legs. DO NOT CUT A SLOT IN THEM!!!!!

That middle seam is held down by a velcro like attachment. The two outer seems are hog rings you have to cut out. You reattach the leather using the wire ties they included replacing the hog rings you removed. Work from the front of the seat to the rear when reattaching the leather to the bottom of the seat pan. I got many cuts doing this also.

I was told the proper way to do it (from the manufacturer) was to sew in velcro on the top of the element than tuck it as far in the crack as possible, than attach middle seam to the velcro.

I just left the middle unattached for now. Gonna try the velcro once it warms up and I get a chance to pull the seats again.
yep, thats the brand I got. Hmmmm So your telling me to rip the velcro off the seat and attach it to heater? Then stick it in the crack?
Old 02-27-2006, 07:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

geez that sounds pretty dangerous. Let's just hope it doesn't catch on fire or anything
Old 02-27-2006, 10:55 PM

How far are you Igor?

Have you undone the hog rings? If so the leather should be held along the middle seam only now. The leather has a soft velcro like strip on it right along that middle seam. It attaches to a plastic piece deep in the middle of the seat that has teeth on it, that grips the velcro.

Take your leather off, so now you have the foam pad. Leave alittle slack in the middle of the element so this can be tucked down into the crack some. If I remember correctly the sides pretty much line up with the seat cushion seams perfectly. You can sew a piece of velcro on top of the element where the piece of plastic used to hold the middle seam to better hold the seam in place. Than just reinstall everything and push the middle seam down into the crack as far as you can.

I didn't do the velcro. Middle seam sits in the crack. Leather on the two middle sections just isn't as tight as normal.