5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

ok, just did seafoam...a little worried..

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 12:54 PM

ok, just did seafoam...a little worried..

So i picked up my first bottle of seafoam today for about 6 bucks and ran it thru my brake booster line. It was a PITA to get off but i got it off. I was VERY NERVOUS doing this even tho i had read past threads on this. I decided to put it about 1/4 of the can instead of a 1/3. It filled a 16oz coffee cup almost half way. Anyway i started the car with the vacuum tube disconnected and it kind of struggled to stay alive but it managed. I SLOWLY started to feed the car the seafoam and at a few times it sucked in more than i expected it as the tube is short and u kinda gotta bend the cup in. Anyway.. the whole time i was doing this i noticed that the car stuttered a little everytime i fed it. "Normal" i thought to myself. So as i was doing this i looked at the rear of the car to see if there was smoke....none. So i reconnected the hose and let it sit for about 5 min. (I think it was 5, maybe less. It seemed like an eternity for me fearing id mess up the car. So i turn on the car to see the rpms fluctuate slightly. I looked in my rear view and i still see NO SMOKE. WTF i thought. Where the hell is my smoke. So about a min after sitting there i took off knowing not to leave sea foam in for more than 15min. Well i hopped on the highway and noticed a difference after 3k rpms. It pulls harder and when VIAS hit , the engine screamed louder than it used to. Like i really kno its hitting now.
So i guess this stuff really worked but WHERES MY SMOKE?!? Im thinking its still in there somehow? I mean it was a cold day today so the liquid had a harder time moving thru the manifold? Do you guys think i should do the rest of the 1/3 of the 1/4 i did? Im a little lost. After the test drive i let it idle, i seemed fine but i wanna let it sit for a while till its cold and then start it because ive been having idling fluctuations in the mornings when i start my car.
I know this is a little legnthy but i had to give ALL the details for you guys to give me proper feedback.
Thanks
PS> no Check Engine Light..WOO HOO
Old 02-27-2006, 01:03 PM

What year Maxima do you have?
Old 02-27-2006, 01:24 PM
Cletus

maybe your intake manifold wasnt very dirty.
i know it made plenty of smoke on my 00 and 02
Old 02-27-2006, 01:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

mine's had plenty of smoke both times i've done it....i would try it again, and let it sit a little longer...maybe it didn't have time to break all the crap down in there or something....
Old 02-27-2006, 01:38 PM

its an 00, i just started her up again about 1 hr after i drove it and it idled with some slight sputters. **sigh** oh yea i got about 100k on her as well.
Should i wait for a warmer day or is the heat from the engine good enuff?
Old 02-27-2006, 01:41 PM
Cletus

sounds like it didnt all come out. when you restarted it did you keep the revs high? you have to hold at around 4-5K RPM to get all the smoke out
Old 02-27-2006, 01:47 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

It is ok if you didn't see any smoke... If you can feel the difference when the car pulls you are good to go. I have done it more than 3 times and onthe 3 time there was no smoke.... go out and enjoy your car now. You can repeat the treatment everytime you want.. only remember to change the oil as soon as you can.... you don't want to drive your car with that $hit in it.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:11 PM

Anyone have a write-up on how to do this through the brake booster line?
Old 02-27-2006, 02:16 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by TXT-1
Anyone have a write-up on how to do this through the brake booster line?
i have one in the fluids section
Old 02-27-2006, 02:17 PM

the write up for the brake booster line is in the fluids forum. Search is your friend......
Old 02-27-2006, 02:23 PM

Seafoam is combustable so it shouldn't still be in your motor, i would try to pour more into the brake booster line and then when you put about 1/3-1/2 of the bottle in turn the car off for 5 mins and let it sit, then go raise hell in it so it gets to all the places that are dirty. At 100k you should have had ALOT of smoke. Also, unless you put it in your oil, don't worry about changing it. All the crap that it burns off goes out your exhaust.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:29 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by vastmax
Seafoam is combustable so it shouldn't still be in your motor, i would try to pour more into the brake booster line and then when you put about 1/3-1/2 of the bottle in turn the car off for 5 mins and let it sit, then go raise hell in it so it gets to all the places that are dirty. At 100k you should have had ALOT of smoke. Also, unless you put it in your oil, don't worry about changing it. All the crap that it burns off goes out your exhaust.
"raise hell"? cause that wont draw unwanted attention

leave the car where it is and keep the RPMs between 4 and 5K till the smoke stops
Old 02-27-2006, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by BRINKLEY
the write up for the brake booster line is in the fluids forum. Search is your friend......
I looked there before posting, it's not in any of the stickies. But thanks for your input. It was truly appreciated. Godspeed.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:18 PM

When I did this I sucked up just about all I had poured out. Definitely killed the engine. But after a restart and the rest of my seafoam I got a lot of smoke coming out the tail.

The stuff works pretty well as far as I can tell.

BTW I only had like 50k on at the time, so I'd say try it again.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:54 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

Ahh forgot.. do it in an open space.... for your own good and the neighbors
Old 02-27-2006, 06:09 PM

can u guys post the link to the write up, search wont work for me and i cant seem to find it....thx....
Old 02-27-2006, 06:15 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

i did this to my max yesterday alsofor the 2ed time , hmm i guess like everyone else said mabey not enough or clan intake

also note this

my dumb a** wasent thinking and used the whole fing bottle. i let it sit, then started to drive away and it smaked for like 2 mins, but it ran like carp between idle and 3k rpm it woulten hardly run, this morning the same thing happend, so i think somethings fed up

dont use the whole bottle woops

its kinda funny now i look at it
Old 02-27-2006, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by soonerfan
"raise hell"? cause that wont draw unwanted attention

leave the car where it is and keep the RPMs between 4 and 5K till the smoke stops

all the write-ups i've seen on seafoam say to take it out for a "spirited drive" aka raise hell, besides you'll already have the unwanted attention with clouds of smoke coming from yourt exhaust. I'm telling you this stuff works wonders...
Old 02-27-2006, 06:33 PM

You should hold your thumb on the vacuum line if your not feeding it Seafoam. I did this and it kept the car alive. You shouldn't add it all at once. Sip and hold, sip and hold.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:00 PM

heres to all the people who wants to do this, the write up:
http://forums.maxima.org/printthread.php?t=346574
Thanks to Soonerfan

Judging by how much i wrote it the first post, i figured that would have been a great write up alone, dont cha think?
Old 01-20-2007, 04:29 PM
The Ultimate Driving Machine

I did an engine cleaner in my 2k2 and everything worked fine. Started it smoked like hell and I even got a check engine light. Let it idle and drove around then cleared the faults. Now its idleing at 1k plus and I keep getting a ses with high idle faults. Any ideas?
Old 01-20-2007, 05:29 PM

anyone know where you can buy seafoam online?
Old 01-20-2007, 06:37 PM

Did you have the car all the way heated up before doing the treatment? You should take it for a nice drive and get it completely up to temperature. Do the treatment as soon as you stop the car so it will be nice and hot.

I've done it twice. Once at 75k with thick clouds of smoke that lasted a long time. The second time at 90k with very little smoke.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:52 PM

I have 80k and never did the seafoam. It still has the same power..... Is it really necessary? I question that....
Old 01-20-2007, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by shoman94
I have 80k and never did the seafoam. It still has the same power..... Is it really necessary? I question that....
Shoman94, look at it this way.... it wont hurt to do it.

Wow.. my old thread from almost a year ago. Since then i have done it again. and got an ISH load of smoke. For people that are nervous, JUST DO IT! It will only benifit. Like the old saying goes..."Aint nuthin to it, but to do it!"
Old 01-20-2007, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by shoman94

Its not necessary however its personal preference..and for 6 bucks..why not.? I certainly picked the wrong day to do mines..wind blew it right back in my garage..I certainly noticed a difference though..Oh yeah I used soonerfans write up..it was super easy..

Go ahead and make fun fellas... I thought being half way out was good enough - not in this case..Im itchin to do it again soon..have to wait for my next oil change though..And my car only sputtered for like a second when I pulled the bb line out. It didnt smoke but for 8 or 9 mins...
Old 01-20-2007, 09:15 PM

haha, awesome pic. what did the neighbors say.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Ephraim
haha, awesome pic. what did the neighbors say.

Neighbors were totally cool about it..both are old and hardly get out the house..this one guy down the street had to come and see..that foo said he thought something was on fire..LOL
Old 01-20-2007, 09:51 PM
2002 maxima se

is there a chance that this procedure can cause the SES light?
Old 01-20-2007, 09:55 PM
is invisible

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=422891
Old 01-20-2007, 10:28 PM

anybody got anything for me? My SES light keeps pulling a high idle fault and its idleing around 1000 rpm. all after this cleaner.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:26 AM

wouldn't it be better to use sea foam through the PCV valve? I'd really like to clean out the throttle body as well as the rest of the intake system. If i used the brake booster line, i don't think it would even touch the Throttle body, am i right? Im not too sure about this... any feedback would help please!

Thanks
Joey
Old 01-21-2007, 02:38 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by delguiner
wouldn't it be better to use sea foam through the PCV valve? I'd really like to clean out the throttle body as well as the rest of the intake system. If i used the brake booster line, i don't think it would even touch the Throttle body, am i right? Im not too sure about this... any feedback would help please!

Thanks
Joey
like i said in my write-up, you can use either the brake booster line or the PCV valve line. you will get the same effect either way, the brake booster line is just easier (to reach and more room for the cup of seafoam)
if you want to clean the throttle body, use throttle body cleaner on a rag.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:22 PM

I ran seafoam in my 00 max about a year ago. Had same stalling and sputtering. Also had a lots of smoke. Car was noticebly crisper in the throttle response dept. Have yet to read about anyone "Hurting" their car with this product, but I am sure someone will, has, or is destined to do so.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:44 PM

Well what i heard a while back when i had my 92 prelude, was people were telling me not to use it in the crankcase, especially since im burning oil, cause it could remove some carbon deposits that are actually stopping your car from leaking or burning even more oil. Kinda makes sence. I LOVE the fact that even though my Maxima has 210km on it, It doesn't burn oil, even when it's redlined!
Old 01-23-2007, 06:48 PM

Just did this cleaning today, and I must say, I was very pleased with the outcome...

I am currently in the process of trying to upload two 8-10 minute videos, but have run into a problem hosting the videos....

For example, this is an 8 minute video, but only last for 5 seconds....

I use Photobucket.com and they 'claim' the free accounts are able to host 5 minute videos, but instead I get this (above)....

Anyone know a website where I could host these semi-lengthy videos, without it costing me anything?

Your help is much appreciated!

ty
Old 01-23-2007, 07:05 PM

I performed an engine cleaner on my 3.5 and afterwards had a check engine light. I cleared it with my scanner but it came immediately back. The fault was for a high idle, which was around 1200 rpm. I took it to the dealer after I found a bulletin about reprogramming the dme and then performing an idle learn procedure. After the cleaner goes through the engine, the dme can not re-adjust the idle that far by itself, It must be done with the consult.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by MaximumPower01
Just did this cleaning today, and I must say, I was very pleased with the outcome...

I am currently in the process of trying to upload two 8-10 minute videos, but have run into a problem hosting the videos....

For example, this is an 8 minute video, but only last for 5 seconds....

I use Photobucket.com and they 'claim' the free accounts are able to host 5 minute videos, but instead I get this (above)....

Anyone know a website where I could host these semi-lengthy videos, without it costing me anything?

Your help is much appreciated!

ty
YOUTUBE is your friend ....also there is this site

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/0...6600e99b6f.htm

This is a DIY on deepcreep - same makers as seafoam..have fun holmes..

Besides theres a good write up by soonerfan on the fluids and lubricants section..
Old 01-23-2007, 08:26 PM

Hey thanks man....just waiting for the downloads to finish...

zzz'z
Old 01-28-2007, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Park2670
I did an engine cleaner in my 2k2 and everything worked fine. Started it smoked like hell and I even got a check engine light. Let it idle and drove around then cleared the faults. Now its idleing at 1k plus and I keep getting a ses with high idle faults. Any ideas?
Wha kind of cleaner? Many times when you put engine cleaner in your car to break up the gum and varnish, the gum and varnish can clog oil passeges and such. When I want to clean my engine I will remove the valve covers and clean as much as I can with solvent and rags, then run A/T fluid (for its detergents) for about 20 min to clean up the rest, then do an immediate oil change with fresh oil and filter. I am new to this seafoam stuff, I will search it out as it sounds like good stuff.

Quick Reply: ok, just did seafoam...a little worried..