5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Nissan Dealer vs Dealer vs Private party...which would you buy from?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 11:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Nissan Dealer vs Dealer vs Private party...which would you buy from?

Just wanted to know which you would buy from? Would it come down to price? Do you have more peace of mind buying from a dealer? Just wanted your thoughts on this because I could be on the market here real quick for a maxima.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:20 PM
It's business time.

If you're buying used you will find a less inflated price from a non-Nissan dealership and/or a private seller. The only peace of mind would be if the car comes with an extended warranty but even then that isn't for sure. Now if you'll be the second owner and you can meet the private seller and if he/she takes car of the car like you do then that may be peace of mind as well.

GL and hope to see you as a long term member of the board.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Progress
If you're buying used you will find a less inflated price from a non-Nissan dealership and/or a private seller. The only peace of mind would be if the car comes with an extended warranty but even then that isn't for sure. Now if you'll be the second owner and you can meet the private seller and if he/she takes car of the car like you do then that may be peace of mind as well.

GL and hope to see you as a long term member of the board.
Indeed...I've always been a fan of buying from dealers because you have some recourse if something happens when you drive away.

That seems like a good thing...I just didn't know what the board thought on this. If our bonus is here in march like its supposed to be I'll be ready to buy as soon as April.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:44 PM

I have been looking into 2000-20001 5spd's lately and have test driven 3 from dealers as far as 177 miles away from me. All three of the cars were between 50-70k miles and all in bad shape. Very dissapointing. I could not see buying any of them. I am currently in discussions with a Private Owner that is almost 300 miles away from me and I feel more confident in this car than I have of the others being offered by dealers and I havent even seen this car in person.

Just my thoughts...
Old 02-28-2006, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by nismopc
I have been looking into 2000-20001 5spd's lately and have test driven 3 from dealers as far as 177 miles away from me. All three of the cars were between 50-70k miles and all in bad shape. Very dissapointing. I could not see buying any of them. I am currently in discussions with a Private Owner that is almost 300 miles away from me and I feel more confident in this car than I have of the others being offered by dealers and I havent even seen this car in person.

Just my thoughts...
Thats interesting, most dealers at least around here are pretty straight forward with you if you're going to drive to get a car.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:23 PM

I've traveled over 3 hours away for a car 3 times. 2 of those times were from dealerships, one car had a bad engine which the dealer "forgot" to mention (big dealership), and the other ended in a complaint to the better business bureau. The main highlight of that trip was the car was missing the airbags, which the dealer didn't think was important enough to mention (little dealer).

The other one was for a private party sale, and not only did I get a deal, it was my 95 se with 170,000 miles. I drove it until 193000 with just usual maintenance, and then sold it to my best friend's little brother.

As long as you can tell the car was well cared for (and has the airbags intact), I would buy from a private party. The way I see it, even if the engine jumped out of the car and slashed your tires, you could take the $1500-$2000 you saved and get a new engine, and some mighty nice new tires. It's worth the risk for me, usually I'm on a budget. I would run a carfax too, no matter where you decide to buy from.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:35 PM

Well, I am on my third Max, started with a 94, then a 2000 and now a 2003, the first two I bought from dealerships and the last one I bought from a private party seller. The key is that you can find a vehicle that you really want and that you can buy it for a price you are willing to pay.

When I went to purchase my 03, I couldn't find a dealership that had the car I wanted, for a price I was willing to pay, so I went through a private party to get it. I paid 18,600.00 for an 03, on July 1st of 2005, loaded with every option but navigation and similar cars on the dealer lots were selling for close to 23K and none of them were willing to negotiate. My local dealer said they would find a car for me, but that never happened, I got impatient and found it myself. I found my 03 about 4 hours away, bought it from the original owner and it was still under the Manufacturer warranty. It was in mint condition, in a small town in Wisconsin, with 25K easy miles on it. I couldn't be happier with the car.

Find what you want, dealership or not, but make sure you have a price in your head when you go to make the deal. I work in sales, so always keep in mind, everything, and I mean everything, is only worth what someone is willing to pay. Good luck with your search!! Hope you find your dream Max.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by bvenvert
Well, I am on my third Max, started with a 94, then a 2000 and now a 2003, the first two I bought from dealerships and the last one I bought from a private party seller. The key is that you can find a vehicle that you really want and that you can buy it for a price you are willing to pay.

When I went to purchase my 03, I couldn't find a dealership that had the car I wanted, for a price I was willing to pay, so I went through a private party to get it. I paid 18,600.00 for an 03, on July 1st of 2005, loaded with every option but navigation and similar cars on the dealer lots were selling for close to 23K and none of them were willing to negotiate. My local dealer said they would find a car for me, but that never happened, I got impatient and found it myself. I found my 03 about 4 hours away, bought it from the original owner and it was still under the Manufacturer warranty. It was in mint condition, in a small town in Wisconsin, with 25K easy miles on it. I couldn't be happier with the car.

Find what you want, dealership or not, but make sure you have a price in your head when you go to make the deal. I work in sales, so always keep in mind, everything, and I mean everything, is only worth what someone is willing to pay. Good luck with your search!! Hope you find your dream Max.
Thanks man
Old 02-28-2006, 02:23 PM

IMO It's going to boil down to who happens to have the specific car you want at the right price as someone else above pointed out, I wasn't actually looking at the time, but knew I'd love an 02-03 6 speed. Next thing I know an org member 11 hours drive away is selling his (mine now) with a fair amount of mods already done, we talk the price is right the car is everything I would want and I'm on a plane to pick it up!
So I'd say find the exact set up you want etc, you won't regret it good luck and let us know what you get.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:51 PM

Yeah its true wat all the people above my post are saying. I went to like 4 private sellers but couldnt find the one i want. And this private dealership had my max on this ramp, and i pulled in and i never thought it would be a 5spd but guess what, i hit the jackpot. So it really does matter what setup you want. and i bought my max for 11,000$$$ 55K 2001 5spd, all options. pretty sweet deal eyy? aiight that was my 2 cents. peace.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:24 PM

Yeah I've got a feeling it'll take some time to find a good one.

On a sidenote, does anyone know why I can't do a search? I've got another thread I want to start but since I can't search I dont know if its been talked about before.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I would only buy from a dealer if I knew the car did not go through the auction channel (check Carfax to validate). In other words, if the dealer took the car in on trade, then I would CONSIDER buying from the dealer. The problem that dealers have is that they are too greedy, and inflate pricing.

My take is that a dealer should be market competitive (not lowest cost) with private party sellers, but they never are (not within 10% most of the time). Therefore, I always target one owner cars from a private party. I am not as picky as some folks on the board, so if you can settle for not having every option you wanted, then select the car based on what you would you can live with, and not try to get everything you wanted.

By the way, not sure where you live, but dealer reputation should be factored into the equation. The dealers in Charlotte are good, but won't haggle on price!!!
Old 02-28-2006, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95
On a sidenote, does anyone know why I can't do a search? I've got another thread I want to start but since I can't search I dont know if its been talked about before.
I've been told that you have to become a paid member to use the search funtion. I think it is $20, but I have not read up on it yet. I can't either and won't pay the fee until I actually become a Max owner.

It's a bit rough, but you can use Yahoo search and actually type in this site then it will search this site at a high level. Works most of the time, but not all of the time.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by maximacharlotte
I would only buy from a dealer if I knew the car did not go through the auction channel (check Carfax to validate). In other words, if the dealer took the car in on trade, then I would CONSIDER buying from the dealer. The problem that dealers have is that they are too greedy, and inflate pricing.

My take is that a dealer should be market competitive (not lowest cost) with private party sellers, but they never are (not within 10% most of the time). Therefore, I always target one owner cars from a private party. I am not as picky as some folks on the board, so if you can settle for not having every option you wanted, then select the car based on what you would you can live with, and not try to get everything you wanted.

By the way, not sure where you live, but dealer reputation should be factored into the equation. The dealers in Charlotte are good, but won't haggle on price!!!
Dealers around here typically haggle, I'm not in a hurry if they dont. There's a couple of well respected dealers in tulsa and in okc. I'm also not too far from KC or DFW.

The only thing I'm 100% set on is 6 speed manual and SE package. I'd prefer leather seats but if a screaming deal came along on a cloth seat car I guess I'd consider it.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by nismopc
I've been told that you have to become a paid member to use the search funtion. I think it is $20, but I have not read up on it yet. I can't either and won't pay the fee until I actually become a Max owner.

It's a bit rough, but you can use Yahoo search and actually type in this site then it will search this site at a high level. Works most of the time, but not all of the time.
True, you have to be a donating member of the .org to search

My $.02 worth on buying the car... One way to buy that you left out was an auto broker. Different than a regular dealer small or large in that they basically go to the auto auction and sell for $500-$1000 more than what they paid for the car and move it fast. That's how I bought my second Max to replace the forst that got totaled in an accident a month ago. That one (the totaled one) we bought private party) The broker I used 3 weeks ago is the same one my brother in law bought from a year ago so he had already earned a good reputation with me AND he is picky as hell and ONLY sells very very clean cars for the price that will move them quick. For reference only (not advertising for him) but as an example of what he sells... check it out... http://www.specialtiesauto.com/

Here is our Max we just bought from them 3 weeks ago... http://www.specialtiesauto.com/detai...xima/SE-Sedan/
Old 02-28-2006, 05:41 PM

Dealer only for me and also would only want vehicle traded in at that dealer on another car. The car I brought was purchased at the dealership I brought it at and the previous owner got an 04 maxima. The car had all the service records. I almost got an 03 at another dealer but it was an auction car purchased in NJ/Ny and I didn't wanna mess with it. I checked it out and the car just gave off bad vibes, not to mention the dealer wouldn't move on the price. 18,500 for a 6 speed, non HLSD, only option was sunroof so it was base. Ended up getting loaded 03 w/HLSD every option except navi for 17,000
Old 02-28-2006, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by boondoxmax
Dealer only for me and also would only want vehicle traded in at that dealer on another car. The car I brought was purchased at the dealership I brought it at and the previous owner got an 04 maxima. The car had all the service records. I almost got an 03 at another dealer but it was an auction car purchased in NJ/Ny and I didn't wanna mess with it. I checked it out and the car just gave off bad vibes, not to mention the dealer wouldn't move on the price. 18,500 for a 6 speed, non HLSD, only option was sunroof so it was base. Ended up getting loaded 03 w/HLSD every option except navi for 17,000
How long ago was that?