5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Cloth vs Leather, is maxima leather good leather?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 03:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Cloth vs Leather, is maxima leather good leather?

Well guys the search function doesn't work so sorry in advance if this has been discussed.

As many probably know I will begin seriously looking hopefully by the end of March. My question is how are the cloth seats in the maxima? I'd prefer leather but have already seen one good deal on a cloth car. Also is the leather in the Maxima good leather?

Do you guys have a preference and if so which do you prefer?
Old 02-28-2006, 04:03 PM
vsamoylov

maxima leather is good especially 2k2-2k3. i have all seats from a 2002 maxima black leather and heated if you are interested. or you can get covers as well but those are aftermarket

Old 02-28-2006, 04:04 PM

In my opinion i think the leather is great. I have an 02 SE with leather and it feels great....I heard of some not liking it but lets see what others say.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:06 PM

I have cloth, works good for Texas heat in the summer, but compared to the leather, I can't say, i've never been in a Maxima with leather. But i've enjoyed the cloth immensely.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Penguin215
I have cloth, works good for Texas heat in the summer, but compared to the leather, I can't say, i've never been in a Maxima with leather. But i've enjoyed the cloth immensely.
I live in oklahoma so we have similar summertime heat...100+ a lot

Is your cloth comfortable on long trips? Are there any adjustments you can do with the cloth?

On a sidenote since you're from Texas how's the air conditioner come June, July, August and Sept?
Old 02-28-2006, 04:29 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I also agree that the leather in the 5.5gen is very good and you just gotta love black on black(biased) especially if you find a 6-speed! The A/C works very well but your still gonna get burned occasionally.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:30 PM

Our first (now totaled Max) had cloth. Actually I think Nissan called it Neosuede, Very nice... like microfiber... fairly easy to clean...
Our new Max has leather... and it is REALLY nice but my 8 month old puppy is still trying to figure out how NOT to slide all over the back seat on the blanket we put down so she doesn't scratch up the leather.

My choice would be leather but both are nice. Best thing about the leather is your clothes don't bunch up on long trips and you just kinda slide... right.... in for the ride

i have cloth on my 2002 and love it
personally i think i gives the car more of a sporty feel because leather already makes it seem too much luxury the cloth holds up great and is alot better in the winter too but in Oklahoma that another story...

I have a 2000 Max with 104000 miles and the leather looks amazing, just be sure to take care of it (clean and condition). My last car had cloth interior and leather is definately the way to go.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:43 PM

agreed. leather is def. the way to go..my friend has cloth but i think the leather feels so much better...not to mention looks better as well. but its just an opinion
Old 02-28-2006, 04:45 PM

I agree leather is better and its my preference, I've just seen a good deal on cloth and was kinda wondering how it'd be...thanks for the replies and if anyone else wants to chime in I wanna hear your opinion.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:47 PM

I have cloth and I do wear very well since you don't have to worry about the wear and tear like leather that you have to keep putting conditioning on it, otherwise they will dry and crack, especially summer heat, the winter, well if you have heated seat otherwise it would be very chilly.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:55 PM

With 106,000 miles the leather is in really good condition but in the cold it sucks because I dont have seat warmers. My dad has a 1999 Lexus RX300 and the leather is in s**** condition already. I would say the Maxima leather is great quality because it is nice and thick so it holds up. I would just say seat warmers are a must and tinted window would help in the summer.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:58 PM

I just bought my 2k2 and it has Black Leather, my previous car had leather two. I have always been a fan and I think it looks ten times better. I bought my 02 with 58k and the leather is in mint condition. So far the quality seems top notch.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:04 PM

i got a 2001 maxima and the leather looks fresh to death. i gotta picture, i'll show upon request. But it kinda sucks in the winter (but then i got heated seats), and summer time they get real heated (but then i got tints)
Old 02-28-2006, 05:05 PM

my car 02 SE has leather and i love it!!!....it is definitely comfortable and brings out the interior's appearance more IMO. i havent experienced the summer heat yet but well see. however, the heated seat are awesome in the winter as well. LEATHER ALL THE WAY MAN!!!....cloth just looks cheap/uncomfortable IMO!!!
Old 02-28-2006, 05:05 PM

I'll never buy another car without leather. I love the stuff in my Max especially since its perforated. No problems with it either. You should here some of the stuff that's going on in the Acura TL forums. Everyday there seems to be a new post about butt prints.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:07 PM

if heat is the problem, then get tint, it protects leather and gets the heat out. if you take care of the leather, (clean, conditioning), it should last you for a long time. well 5 year old leather is still kinda new. maybe you should ask older gens about their leather and how its holding up. this is my first max, and im very satisfied with my factory leather. no stains and easy to clean. and cloth gets dirty after awhile, but leather still stays clean.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Teufelhunden
if heat is the problem, then get tint, it protects leather and gets the heat out. if you take care of the leather, (clean, conditioning), it should last you for a long time. well 5 year old leather is still kinda new. maybe you should ask older gens about their leather and how its holding up. this is my first max, and im very satisfied with my factory leather. no stains and easy to clean. and cloth gets dirty after awhile, but leather still stays clean.
I've owned nothing but leather on all my cars except my first car. Even my Trans AM leather which is low quality leather is like it was when it was brand new(there is a few minor wear spots on the drivers seat). I take care of my cars and will take care of the Maxima so I'm not too concerned about wear as long as the leather is decent and comfortable.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:32 PM

I love the leather in my Maxima, my friend had a 300M that was three years old (at the time same age as my Maxima) and the leather was cracked and looked like s**t, while the leather in my Maxima still looks new.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:33 PM

The leather in my 03 looks brand new. It's a good quality leather and as long as you take care of it(clean/condition) it'll last a long time. The cloth in my 02 was also good, but I do prefer the leather cause it makes the car look so good inside...
Old 02-28-2006, 05:36 PM

Cloth? What is cloth?
Old 02-28-2006, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95
I live in oklahoma so we have similar summertime heat...100+ a lot

Is your cloth comfortable on long trips? Are there any adjustments you can do with the cloth?

On a sidenote since you're from Texas how's the air conditioner come June, July, August and Sept?
Past week I did about an hour trip to a concert, was rather comfortable, I had no issues.

To the person who mentioned the bunched up clothes, yeah, it does happen when first in, but I just get situated and get comfortable before going, no big issues i've had. And Adjustment wise? Ummm, the usuals for them, reclining moving obviously, and the lumbar deal, i'm not sure if there was the option to get heated cloth, I don't imagine so, but don't quote me on that, i'm not 100% positive.

Air Conditioner works good once it gets going, just dont blast it right when you turn the car on, a nice load of hot air. I just end up driving with the windows down majority of the time, gotten used to the heat, so I like a nice breeze.

Overall, i'd agree with the rest of these guys, i'd prefer leather, but cloth gets me by quite nicely, and it's a first car, a Maxima alone was hard enough to get.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Penguin215
Past week I did about an hour trip to a concert, was rather comfortable, I had no issues.

To the person who mentioned the bunched up clothes, yeah, it does happen when first in, but I just get situated and get comfortable before going, no big issues i've had. And Adjustment wise? Ummm, the usuals for them, reclining moving obviously, and the lumbar deal, i'm not sure if there was the option to get heated cloth, I don't imagine so, but don't quote me on that, i'm not 100% positive.

Air Conditioner works good once it gets going, just dont blast it right when you turn the car on, a nice load of hot air. I just end up driving with the windows down majority of the time, gotten used to the heat, so I like a nice breeze.

Overall, i'd agree with the rest of these guys, i'd prefer leather, but cloth gets me by quite nicely, and it's a first car, a Maxima alone was hard enough to get.
Whats a first car? Maxima will be my fourth long term car...

I dont know how you just do the windows down thing in the summer. Holy hell, this last summer it was above 100 for 25 out of 30 days at one point. Thats just tooooo ****ing hot!
Old 02-28-2006, 06:53 PM

I have Leather on 2k2 and it is EXCELLENT. I would definately choose leather, our summers are probably not quite as hot as yours, however here in GA it still gets good and hot. The leather is going to get good and warm if you get it, just park in shade.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:55 PM
vsamoylov

So who is interested them in the leather seats i have for sale. pm me.

Old 02-28-2006, 07:13 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95
Well guys the search function doesn't work so sorry in advance if this has been discussed.
The search feature DOES work to those who donate. With as many posts as you've made in the last 3 days, maybe you could have taken a bit of time to actually read some of the stickies which provide a lot of answers to the questions you've been posting. Along with why the search function doesn't "work".

Welcome to the .Org
Old 02-28-2006, 07:13 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

Originally Posted by vsamoylov
So who is interested them in the leather seats i have for sale. pm me.
Keep it in your classified thread please.

Edit: or add it to your signature.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by SEmy2K2go
The search feature DOES work to those who donate. With as many posts as you've made in the last 3 days, maybe you could have taken a bit of time to actually read some of the stickies which provide a lot of answers to the questions you've been posting. Along with why the search function doesn't "work".

Welcome to the .Org
I have been reading most of the stickies, I didn't find anything on leather vs cloth and again the search doesn't work for me so I dont know what you want me to do. I can't exactly read every single thread ever posted on the forum...
Old 02-28-2006, 07:41 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

I'll make it easy for you then.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=87215
Old 02-28-2006, 11:03 PM

I have cloth, works good for Texas heat in the summer, but compared to the leather, I can't say, i've never been in a Maxima with leather. But i've enjoyed the cloth immensely
Old 03-01-2006, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by SEmy2K2go
I'll make it easy for you then.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=87215
Reading it now, thanks
Old 03-01-2006, 05:41 AM

I have cloth and have no regrets other than the color (should have gone for the charcoal NOT frost).
Old 03-01-2006, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by F23A4
I have cloth and have no regrets other than the color (should have gone for the charcoal NOT frost).
Got any pics of your interior?
Old 03-01-2006, 06:33 AM

for Maxima leather. It's holding up nicely and the heat is so nice.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:25 AM

I have the leather, and it seems to be very high quality. I really like the way the black cloth looks on the 2k2-2k3, but I've never been in one with it
Old 03-01-2006, 02:10 PM
No More Maxipad

leather seats on the maximas are very comfortable and compared to my previous car (2000 accord v6 coupe) the maxima leathers are softer than the accords. after driving my accord with leather seats they felt really nice that's why i had to have leather on my maxima...good thing the maxima ones feel better too haha
Old 03-01-2006, 03:24 PM

compared to ford leather, its great quality. because ive seen my friends 03 explorer interior. man that leather was falling apart, dirty, cracks. i didnt know leather could be like that in 3 years. so yeah nissan leather is definately good.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Teufelhunden
compared to ford leather, its great quality. because ive seen my friends 03 explorer interior. man that leather was falling apart, dirty, cracks. i didnt know leather could be like that in 3 years. so yeah nissan leather is definately good.
Just like anything else... If a person spends too much time then anything is going to look or run like sh^t
I agree though... Ford leather isn't the greatest. My Ex wife's Exploder's leather looks like crap! Of course she never took care of it... if she did... maybe it would be average. It was never as thick and nice as Nissan's
Old 03-01-2006, 06:48 PM

leather definitely ages up better

Quick Reply: Cloth vs Leather, is maxima leather good leather?