5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

transmission options

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 04:16 PM

transmission options

well my transmission has been acting up for awhile and i finally got around to taking it to a shop. The guy says it is slip shifting and says its because of the valve body sticking but just replacing that won't solve the problem for long. He said i needed to get it rebuilt for $1600-$2300 and a 3 year warranty. Full rebuild, new torque converter, all updates. So what should i do.

1. Have them rebuild it.
2. Get an upgraded valve body from mobile tek and hope it solves it.
3. Find a used transmission and put it in

What do you guys think i should do.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

That depends on how much the VB costs. It usually takes 2-3 hours to swap out, not a real big deal.. Did they say why that wouldn't fix the problem for long?? I would think that should fix the problem unless you burnt up the clutch packs and/or bands... But I'm no tranny expert..
Old 03-14-2006, 07:43 PM

he said the reason it wouldnt completely fix the problem was because something in the transmission was causing the valve body to stick and eventually it would cause it to stick again. Now if i can replace the valve body and have it last 25-50k miles then i would be happy. anybody have any opinions. how much are valve bodies from mobile tek or other places?
Old 03-14-2006, 08:11 PM

Something like what? Like I said I'm no tranny expert, but that doesn't make sence. Your valve body directs fluid (hydralic pressure) thru certain valleys thru accumulators and clutch packs or servo and bands to lock certain parts of the planetary gear set. It doesn't make sence why something would cause the VB to stick.

EDIT: On second thought I guess if one of the bands or clutches where falling apart a little the foreign material COULD make its way into the VB to make the pistons stick. The filter should catch this, but they would have more experience with rehaps than I would. There is something known as red towel disease. When rebuilding a tranny it must be a very clean area. even lint from the red rag towels have been known to ruin a rebuilt trans.
Someone else may know better.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:14 PM

im not sure either, i would guess something is just gradually wearing away and causing it to malfunction. Is the valve body a part of the transmission that goes bad very often?
Old 03-14-2006, 08:20 PM

I know a few buddies who drag race. The most common problem with the VB's are the piston (the actual name slips my mind, well call it a piston) sometimes stick in the bore preventing enough hydralic pressure to engage the band or clutch packs quick enough qhich causes a slip. IIRC most problems with trans are the actual clutches/bands. Anyways the guys I know would Hone out the VB galleys to increase line pressure and replace the "pistons" with slightly larger diameter "pistons". Firms up the shift and ensures enough pressure on demand.
That's all I think I know, lol.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:05 AM

I had the same problem with my transmission about 2 months back. What kind of codes are you throwing? First, I bought a new solenoid pack from Dave B (which is for sale on eBay right now). That did not fix the problem. After that, I got my VB recalibrated by Maximumtuning, and that did not fix the problem either. In the end, I spent a little over $500 for an I35 transmission with 3k miles on it. It shifts like a new car. I suggest you call the junk yards and try to locate a transmission that has low miles/in great condition.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:56 AM

This wouldn't be covered by Nissan? I'm assuming you're over their 36,000 mile or whatever mileage limit.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:58 AM

i got a problem with my tranny... 3rd grinds like hell.. and no matter what i do i can't shift to 6 gear... i mean its like locked out.... also i get a little whistle sound when my clutch is fully disangaged.... if i just touch the damn thing the sound goes away.... a well i'm a rookie... i need a veterans advice.... e-mail me or sumtin okay... i'm intrested in changing it soon....
Old 03-15-2006, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by BUSi87
i got a problem with my tranny... 3rd grinds like hell.. and no matter what i do i can't shift to 6 gear... i mean its like locked out.... also i get a little whistle sound when my clutch is fully disangaged.... if i just touch the damn thing the sound goes away.... a well i'm a rookie... i need a veterans advice.... e-mail me or sumtin okay... i'm intrested in changing it soon....
Whistle sound screams throw out bearing. $30 part, 3 hours to get to.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by SGriffin960
This wouldn't be covered by Nissan? I'm assuming you're over their 36,000 mile or whatever mileage limit.
I was at 65k when my transmission gave me problems.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by 5thgenmaxima
The most common problem with the VB's are the piston (the actual name slips my mind, well call it a piston) sometimes stick in the bore preventing enough hydralic pressure to engage the band or clutch packs quick enough qhich causes a slip.
That would be a spool valve.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:04 PM

did a tranny flush, fuel injection flush, it got my problem solved, it might work for you.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by feito
did a tranny flush, fuel injection flush, it got my problem solved, it might work for you.
Tranny flushes aren't really recommended IMO. They tend to send whatever metal deposits in the transmission fluid that had settled to the bottom back up and into the bell housing.

I drain my MTF/ATF part way, fill it back up with new fluid, then a week later completely drain it. That usually does a complete, fairly thorough job.

And fuel injection "flush", I don't know what that is but isn't related to the transmission anyway.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:37 PM

well i tried draining and refilling with Mobil 1 and that didnt work. Was going to try a new valve body but can't decide. Guess ill just ride my tranny out till it goes for good and then get a junkyard tranny. This slip shifting is really making me mad though, it only happens every once in awhile atleast. Anyone know how much a maximum tuning valve body costs. i cant find prices.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by fishpony
well i tried draining and refilling with Mobil 1 and that didnt work. Was going to try a new valve body but can't decide. Guess ill just ride my tranny out till it goes for good and then get a junkyard tranny. This slip shifting is really making me mad though, it only happens every once in awhile atleast. Anyone know how much a maximum tuning valve body costs. i cant find prices.

$600-200 for your original VB.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:12 PM

Thanks. great, so for about the same price should i get a Valve body or just go ahead and get a used transmission?? Anyone? opinions
Old 03-15-2006, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by fishpony
Thanks. great, so for about the same price should i get a Valve body or just go ahead and get a used transmission?? Anyone? opinions
Kind of a toss up IMO. I'd spend the dough on a complete tranny.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:44 PM

welll... i just found a Brand new auto tranny for the 01' AE with limited slip for $1,200. choices choices.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:47 PM

If you install it yourself, it would be a nice deal. Where'd you find it?
Old 03-15-2006, 09:26 PM

Just get a used transmission. A valve body may not fix the problem.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:39 PM

I'm thinking of doing th VB mod myself since I also have the slippage occassionaly. I posted about it a while back, the way mine slips, I don't think the spool valve is sticking because it slips after I open it completely up and back off a little bit. Wouldn't make since to be a sticking valve since it's already opened completely then has to back off....Anyways someone gave me a link of where to call. Unfortunately, the guy who answered had the stereo full blast in the background and I couldn't hear a word he was saying. Very unprofessional.

If you find out exactly what the VB mod consists of. I.E. which valleys or regulators are replaced/honed please let me know. This may be something I attempt to have one of my gear head pros help me out with.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:52 PM

this should be covered under the 60,000 mile powertrain by nissan should it not? i just started seeing slippage a few days ago in my 03 auto and im under the assumption its still under warranty...i only have 43000 on my car though so im assuming your past that...if your not nissan should give you a new trans or rebuild it for you...anyone have any opinions on this?

doug
Old 03-16-2006, 04:43 PM

not on my rebuilt maxima. I rebuilt it from it being totaled about a year ago. So unfortunately no factory warranty for me. doesn't bother me though id rather work on my own car.

Does anybody know if a 01 AE transmission will work in my 5.5 gen with no problems besides new axel(s)? trying to decide between a $450 used no lsd or a brand new $1200 with lsd. any ideas?