Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003-7/)
-   -   12V (Cigarette Lighter Holder) not working (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003/346810-12v-cigarette-lighter-holder-not-working.html)

ZeRo MaX 03-20-2006 08:53 AM

12V (Cigarette Lighter Holder) not working

So, I accidently dropped my keys and it mysteriously dropped right into my open 12V (Cigarette Lighter Holder) and made a big spark. Now it doesn't work anymore. Can this blow the fuse? I am not sure how to really fix this but I really need to get this done so I can listen to my i-pod, charge my cell phone... and all that good stuff. Hopefully I can fix this ASAP. Thanks!

Biggs_02 03-20-2006 08:57 AM

fuse check the fuse.

XyNoix-HIC 03-20-2006 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Biggs_02
fuse check the fuse.

yea pretty much, i've done that several times to my lights with a screw driver trying to pull the light bulbs out or what not, and The first time i was dumb enough to say oooo cool sparks and i did it again

MxdOut97 03-20-2006 11:49 AM

you def. blew the fuse. just pop in the spare fuse and your all set. its in the box under the steering wheel if you didnt know

LA02MAX 03-20-2006 12:57 PM

mine doesn't work either, but it's not a fuse...i don't really know what happened, but i think my stupid cell phone did it...i dropped my cell phone in the water a long time ago, and when i finally got a car charger, i plugged it in and it worked...for a couple minutes....after that it stopped working and i plugged it into the rear one just to see if it was the plug, itself....same thing happened...now both of them are broken, and i changed the fuse...i'm going to take them apart and see what's going on whenever i do my LED install....

partyd 03-20-2006 01:38 PM

if is not a fuse check the black plug behind the cigarret ligthter or just clean the center contac ( unplug it first )

ZeRo MaX 03-20-2006 02:22 PM

Yeah it's not the fuse cause I just replaced it before I made this thread. I meant to say that it was not a fuse since I replaced it. What is the black plug behind the cigarette lighter? How do I get to it? Thanks!

SuperStasiu 03-20-2006 03:44 PM

Take out the hole shifter console assembly to get to the back of the lighter plug. You sure you got the right fuse??

SuperStasiu 03-20-2006 03:44 PM

Take out the hole shifter console assembly to get to the back of the lighter plug. You sure you got the right fuse??

5thgenmaxima 03-21-2006 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by XyNoix-HIC
The first time i was dumb enough to say oooo cool sparks and i did it again

:igor&donk: :rotz:

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...4_102_full.gif

Originally Posted by LA02MAX
mine doesn't work either, but it's not a fuse...i don't really know what happened, but i think my stupid cell phone did it...i dropped my cell phone in the water a long time ago, and when i finally got a car charger, i plugged it in and it worked...for a couple minutes....after that it stopped working and i plugged it into the rear one just to see if it was the plug, itself....same thing happened...now both of them are broken, and i changed the fuse...i'm going to take them apart and see what's going on whenever i do my LED install....

Originally Posted by ZeroMax
Yeah it's not the fuse cause I just replaced it before I made this thread. I meant to say that it was not a fuse since I replaced it. What is the black plug behind the cigarette lighter? How do I get to it? Thanks!

Before pulling everything apart verify you even have power going to your fuse. Take a test light to your fuse. Connect the wire side of the test light to ground and touch the test light to both sides of the fuse. It should light up.

scheibler 03-21-2006 12:47 PM

the plug for the cigerrate lighter shouldn't matter b/c it couldn't have become disconnected. I bet you just accidently switched the wrong fuse. If

ZeRo MaX 03-22-2006 08:27 AM

I switched all (red) 10A fuses. Still no luck!

amat1140 02-09-2019 10:07 AM

fuse INSIDE cigarette lighter jack

Originally Posted by ZeRo MaX (Post 4001287)

Checked service manual. There is a fuse INSIDE cigarette lighter jack! Front cigarette lighter jack stopped working while pumping tire, smelled something burnt. All fuses in fuse panel ok. Used test light on the outlet, worked only if touch return to chassis; doesn't work if touching return to metal ring of lighter jack. As far as I know, only genuine OEM replacement part fits. Found one in ebay, cost $56! Would be interested to know if anyone found a cheaper solution. perhaps replace the inside fuse?

amat1140 02-09-2019 10:18 AM

fuse INSIDE cigarette lighter jack

Originally Posted by ZeRo MaX (Post 4001287)

Checked service manual. There is a fuse INSIDE cigarette lighter jack! Front cigarette lighter jack stopped working while pumping tire, smelled something burnt. All fuses in fuse panel ok. Used test light on the outlet, worked only if touch return to chassis; doesn't work if touching return to metal ring of lighter jack. As far as I know, only genuine OEM replacement part fits. Found one in ebay, cost $56! Would be interested to know if anyone found a cheaper solution. perhaps replace the inside fuse?

fat_kid 02-10-2019 02:22 AM

Only almost 13 years later but better late than never :hide:

Originally Posted by amat1140 (Post 9194747)