5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

12V (Cigarette Lighter Holder) not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 08:53 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

12V (Cigarette Lighter Holder) not working

So, I accidently dropped my keys and it mysteriously dropped right into my open 12V (Cigarette Lighter Holder) and made a big spark. Now it doesn't work anymore. Can this blow the fuse? I am not sure how to really fix this but I really need to get this done so I can listen to my i-pod, charge my cell phone... and all that good stuff. Hopefully I can fix this ASAP. Thanks!
Old 03-20-2006, 08:57 AM

fuse check the fuse.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Biggs_02
fuse check the fuse.

yea pretty much, i've done that several times to my lights with a screw driver trying to pull the light bulbs out or what not, and The first time i was dumb enough to say oooo cool sparks and i did it again
Old 03-20-2006, 11:49 AM

you def. blew the fuse. just pop in the spare fuse and your all set. its in the box under the steering wheel if you didnt know
Old 03-20-2006, 12:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

mine doesn't work either, but it's not a fuse...i don't really know what happened, but i think my stupid cell phone did it...i dropped my cell phone in the water a long time ago, and when i finally got a car charger, i plugged it in and it worked...for a couple minutes....after that it stopped working and i plugged it into the rear one just to see if it was the plug, itself....same thing happened...now both of them are broken, and i changed the fuse...i'm going to take them apart and see what's going on whenever i do my LED install....
Old 03-20-2006, 01:38 PM

if is not a fuse check the black plug behind the cigarret ligthter or just clean the center contac ( unplug it first )
Old 03-20-2006, 02:22 PM

Yeah it's not the fuse cause I just replaced it before I made this thread. I meant to say that it was not a fuse since I replaced it. What is the black plug behind the cigarette lighter? How do I get to it? Thanks!
Old 03-20-2006, 03:44 PM

Take out the hole shifter console assembly to get to the back of the lighter plug. You sure you got the right fuse??
Old 03-20-2006, 03:44 PM

Take out the hole shifter console assembly to get to the back of the lighter plug. You sure you got the right fuse??
Old 03-21-2006, 05:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by XyNoix-HIC
The first time i was dumb enough to say oooo cool sparks and i did it again
:

Originally Posted by LA02MAX
mine doesn't work either, but it's not a fuse...i don't really know what happened, but i think my stupid cell phone did it...i dropped my cell phone in the water a long time ago, and when i finally got a car charger, i plugged it in and it worked...for a couple minutes....after that it stopped working and i plugged it into the rear one just to see if it was the plug, itself....same thing happened...now both of them are broken, and i changed the fuse...i'm going to take them apart and see what's going on whenever i do my LED install....
Originally Posted by ZeroMax
Yeah it's not the fuse cause I just replaced it before I made this thread. I meant to say that it was not a fuse since I replaced it. What is the black plug behind the cigarette lighter? How do I get to it? Thanks!
Before pulling everything apart verify you even have power going to your fuse. Take a test light to your fuse. Connect the wire side of the test light to ground and touch the test light to both sides of the fuse. It should light up.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:47 PM

the plug for the cigerrate lighter shouldn't matter b/c it couldn't have become disconnected. I bet you just accidently switched the wrong fuse. If
Old 03-22-2006, 08:27 AM

I switched all (red) 10A fuses. Still no luck!
Old 02-09-2019, 10:07 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

fuse INSIDE cigarette lighter jack

Originally Posted by ZeRo MaX

Checked service manual. There is a fuse INSIDE cigarette lighter jack! Front cigarette lighter jack stopped working while pumping tire, smelled something burnt. All fuses in fuse panel ok. Used test light on the outlet, worked only if touch return to chassis; doesn't work if touching return to metal ring of lighter jack. As far as I know, only genuine OEM replacement part fits. Found one in ebay, cost $56! Would be interested to know if anyone found a cheaper solution. perhaps replace the inside fuse?
Old 02-09-2019, 10:18 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

fuse INSIDE cigarette lighter jack

Originally Posted by ZeRo MaX

Checked service manual. There is a fuse INSIDE cigarette lighter jack! Front cigarette lighter jack stopped working while pumping tire, smelled something burnt. All fuses in fuse panel ok. Used test light on the outlet, worked only if touch return to chassis; doesn't work if touching return to metal ring of lighter jack. As far as I know, only genuine OEM replacement part fits. Found one in ebay, cost $56! Would be interested to know if anyone found a cheaper solution. perhaps replace the inside fuse?
Old 02-10-2019, 02:22 AM

Only almost 13 years later but better late than never

Originally Posted by amat1140