5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

A couple of noob brake Q's

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 07:21 AM

A couple of noob brake Q's

I changed my rear brake pads on my 2K2 for the first time yesterday and all went pretty well except for a couple of followup questions that I have.

First off, I didn't buy the "shims" that go on the back of the pads because I was going to reuse the old ones, however, as I should have expected with the salty Canadian winters, my existing ones were rusted to pieces. I put the pads in without the shims and a google search on this site tells me that the shims primary purpose is to help prevent noise from the piston pushing on the pad. My question for those with experience on this is is it worth it to go buy the shims and pull the brakes apart again to reinstall them?

Secondly, when I pulled the old pads out I was a little surprised at the wear. Both driver's side rear pads were almost down to metal whereas on the passenger side, one pad was about 25% left (outer, I think) and the other pad (inner) was almost 50%. I am surprised that the rears would wear so differently from driver's side to passenger's side. Is this an indication of a problem?

Thanks everyone.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:04 PM
dot dot dot ...

You might have a sticking caliper.

As for the shims. There are times when I've used them and times when I haven't. IMO, didn't matter.

Just did rear pads yesterday and the kit came with shims, so I put them in. Next time, maybe not.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:33 PM

most likely the caliper piston. dont know if one side is overworking or other is underworking tho???

ive also gone with or without those shims, but i guess id rather use them than not.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:36 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by super6
its wierd that the pads wore unevenly on the front and rear,
He didn't touch the front brakes.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

its wierd that the pads wore unevenly on the front and rear, unlikely that both drivers side calipers are going bad (tho possible). it might be that your brake fuid system has a clog or other malfunction, id have it checked, but i have no clue how they check for that. maybe id bleed the whole system real well, especially if it was never done bofore. also check the brake lines on that side. thats very strange!

I've also gone with or without those shims, but i guess id rather use them than not.
Yo Einstein, you need to read the thread again. He didn't say anything about front pads.

BigFly, it is a good idea to use the shims. I didn't several times and eventually got the squeals. Put em in.

As far as the uneven pad wear in the REAR, it could be the pistons or it could be the brake fluid (moisture) in the line. You're supposed to change brake fluid every 15k. Also make sure that you clean the caliper bolts and regrease it with the slightest amount of grease as too much will keep the caliper bolt from being able to move. I use a small paint brush.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Edward Lee
Yo Einstein, you need to read the thread again. He didn't say anything about front pads.
oh, my mistake then i guess it is the calpier, air in the line wouldnt do that tho, the air woud distribute itself through the whole system eventually.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

oh, my mistake then i guess it is the calpier, air in the line wouldnt do that tho, the air woud distribute itself through the whole system eventually.
I'm talking about moisure in the fluid not air in the line. However, air can get trapped withing the caliper or within one line in a brake system.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:36 PM

Thanks for the posts everyone.

I'll probably buy the shims and put them in even though the brakes seem fine right now without them. I'm not going to panic though so I'll see if I can find them cheaper than at my local stealership. Maybe Dave B if shipping's not too bad.

I changed the brake fluid a few months ago so there shouldn't be moisture in the fluid causing the problem. It could be a sticky caliper causing the uneven rear on the one side and I didn't re-grease them so I will do that when I put the new shims in. I think I am also going to jack the rear end off the ground and get my wife to push the brakes and see if there's more "resistance" on one side than the other.

I appreciate the feedback.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:47 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

shims and new clips are about 30 from the dealer a pair.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:23 AM

They also sell tubes of liquid anti-squeak. I have always used that without a problem at all. Just squirt in on the back of the pad and smear it around...works great!
Old 03-29-2006, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by BumpnMaxima
shims and new clips are about 30 from the dealer a pair.
Not at my dealer. My dealer wants $54 CDN for the front hardware kit and $40 CDN for the rear hardware kit. Unbelievable. When I heard those prices I asked the guy for the part numbers so I could check them out online and he wouldn't give them to me. He said he's not going to provide part numbers to someone who's going to "shop him around."

Anyway, I found the part numbers and ordered them online through Midway Nissan. It was about $33 USD for BOTH, so even with shipping, exchange, and brokerage fees, I'm still going to save a bunch of money.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Originally Posted by SUPER6
its wierd that the pads wore unevenly on the front and rear,
He didn't touch the front brakes.
it would be very UNUSUAL if the fronts and rears wore out the same...